2014-15 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
With training camp about to start on Thursday, thought it might be useful to have a thread devoted to the goings on. We're getting posts discussing it in other threads - drop your thoughts here instead!

Some things I'll be interested in following:

• How much is Maurice going to ratchet up the intensity?
  • Kane and Perreault - do we see them doing line rushes together?
  • Who slots next to Scheifele?
  • Petan and Ehlers - which line might they land on?
  • Hutch and Pavs - got the popcorn ready. :nod:
  • 4th line logjam - Klingberg, Thorbs, Slater, Galiardi, etc.

What are you looking forward to seeing or stories you want to see played out?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
WOOT! TC FTMFW! :yo:

I'm gonna try and get out to Iceplex to see some of the camp this year. Interested to see if there's anything notably different from last year's...

Maybe see a fist fight between Kane and Wheels! :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Players who aren't here today

Enstrom
Galliardi
Perreault
Ladd
All the young stars.

I don't know who #49 is.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Any early indications of line compositions? Or are they just doing drills now?

Skating passing drills to start.They ran a full 5 on 5 scrimmage for 20 minutes or so. The lines changed every shift. Eakin and 2 other non Jets are here also. I wouldn't read too much into combos. Some players are taking shootout practice on Danny Taylor now.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
For some reason I have a lot of the same feelings, emotions and positive vibes that I had way back heading into the 2005-06 season pre-Jets, as a Canes fan. I felt strongly about that Canes team in that they would be a good team that year, and I have similar feelings now, oddly :dunno:. I think the bulk of it is the aura of the team surrounding it's head coach (Peter Laviolette back then for me), Maurice today.

No, I do not believe we're going to win the Stanley Cup, but I am interested in seeing how this goes, I feel we could surprise many this year, I feel pretty excited about our team. For some reason. :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I've had that thought in the back of my mind too Guerzy. Ftmp, I'm not real optimistic about our prospects this year. But I'm hoping to be surprised...and for some reason I think there's a chance I might be.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Are the guys skating at the IcePlex all week?

They will probably be there tomorrow.

Thursday will be downtown I would guess. I believe the team will announce the TC schedule later today. Saturday is fanfest at the iceplex.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Given their veteran and contract status with the team, its really safe to assume that Perreault, Buff, Slater and Thorburn are guaranteed spots. That leaves 2 open roster spots plus one forward in the press box - so a total of 3.

These are the guys competing for those spots:

Tangradi (1 way)
Peluso (1 way)
Halischuck (2 way) *200,000 AHL Salary
Galiardi (2 way) *200,000 AHL Salary
O'Dell (2 way) *100,000 AHL Salary
Klingberg (2 way) * 75,000 AHL Salary
Petan (ELC)
Ehlers (ELC)

If you're like me and you don't think the Jets enjoy burning money, then that means that Tangradi and Peluso will likely take up 2 of those 3 spots (assuming they aren't traded)

That leaves the other 6 to compete for the remaining open spot. Who wins?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
BTW no sign of Perreault so Kaner hasn't met his future centerman yet ;)

You should look first at the links you post.

10644023_333171246853726_252264960_n.jpg

Am guessing they've already met.
:D

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730592

The Winnipeg Jets announced they have re-assigned the following six players from training camp. Players will report to the following teams where indicated:

Chase Balisy - St. John’s (AHL)
Jean Dupuy - St. John’s (AHL)
Ben Walker - St. John’s (AHL)
Zach Bell - St. John’s (AHL)
Ralfs Freibergs - St. John’s (AHL)
Nikolas Brouillard - Quebec (QMJHL)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Given their veteran and contract status with the team, its really safe to assume that Perreault, Buff, Slater and Thorburn are guaranteed spots. That leaves 2 open roster spots plus one forward in the press box - so a total of 3.

These are the guys competing for those spots:

Tangradi (1 way)
Peluso (1 way)
Halischuck (2 way) *200,000 AHL Salary
Galiardi (2 way) *200,000 AHL Salary
O'Dell (2 way) *100,000 AHL Salary
Klingberg (2 way) * 75,000 AHL Salary
Petan (ELC)
Ehlers (ELC)

If you're like me and you don't think the Jets enjoy burning money, then that means that Tangradi and Peluso will likely take up 2 of those 3 spots (assuming they aren't traded)

That leaves the other 6 to compete for the remaining open spot. Who wins?
My ranking, in order of my perceived likelihood:
Galiardi
O'Dell
Halischuk
Ehlers (kid really needs to impress)
Klingberg
Petan

Klingberg and O'Dell need to clear waivers, which probably works against Ehlers. if he stays (even for the 9 games) they are definitely sending a guy down who might not clear. Based on the same logic, Petan's got no shot :(

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
My ranking, in order of my perceived likelihood:
Galiardi
O'Dell
Halischuk
Ehlers (kid really needs to impress)
Klingberg
Petan

I'd agree with Galiardi being a lock (looks like a really poor signing otherwise) and O'Dell (he's earned the shot) but I can see Klingberg ahead of Halischuk in the press box to start the year as the 13th forward. Honestly, I can see him ahead of Thorburn but Chevy and I don't always agree on things.

I think with the "slow and steady" Mr. Day Off at the wheel, no way that either Ehlers or Petan get rushed into the lineup.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Hey Aavco...you seem to be in the know and around the team a lot. Whats the deal? Are you independently wealthy? Staffer? Are you in fact, Chevy (awkward for me, if you are Chevy :laugh:)?

There's no conspiracy here. I live 5 minutes from the iceplex. I am retired so I do have lots of free time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad