2014-15 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
If the organization has determined that Morrissey, Ehlers and Petan aren't ready than I will take their word for it and trust their judgement. They have made the correct call with both Trouba and Scheifele. If they feel that Lowry is the more ready and better suited prospect for the current opening than I will defer to them. IMO they have earned the benefit of the doubt in this regard so far.

As for the individual prospects in question:

Morrissey had an average camp. While he was better than Ellerby and likely equal to Pardy, Postma's performance last night shut the door for him. The Jets at the moment have better players a head of him and Pardy is the perfect guy to sit in the pressbox. He's close but not quite close enough yet.

Ehlers: Tremendous skill, but he showed that his game still has some wrinkles in it that need to be ironed out. Those are best addressed playing 20 minutes a night in the CHL.

Petan- Had a strong camp and in past years likely would have made the team, but we have a far deeper top 9 this year and there was only on spot open in which management elected to go with another young player.

RE Bolded:

That's fine, but I won't. Petan is and was better than many players that will be on the roster this year, along with the potential to get much better.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No prob. :)

I think Petan is very skilled and will be a very good player for us in the future.

To play in the NHL he needs to not only excel in the offensive zone, but also in the defensive zone.

Petan spent most of his shift along the wall in the offensive zone.

When he did attempt to go to the "hard area" in front of the goal he was easily moved due to his lack of weight and physical strength.

Same thing in the defensive zone.

Much like Scheifele in his first training camp, Petan needs to go back to junior and work on his game and grow physically.

Give me an example of Petan not being good defensively. One.

And no cop out with him being too small. Little is small, and he's our best defensive forward.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
No prob. :)

I think Petan is very skilled and will be a very good player for us in the future.

To play in the NHL he needs to not only excel in the offensive zone, but also in the defensive zone.

Petan spent most of his shift along the wall in the offensive zone.

When he did attempt to go to the "hard area" in front of the goal he was easily moved due to his lack of weight and physical strength.

Same thing in the defensive zone.

Much like Scheifele in his first training camp, Petan needs to go back to junior and work on his game and grow physically.

Didn't see this either. One of the things I noticed actually was how well Petan fit in for his size.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm so glad Petan is being sent back to dominate the league he has been dominating for two straight seasons. This is gonna grow his game so much. He has had so much problem doing his thing there the past two seasons, so this isn't gonna be a wasted year at all.

In fact, why did we sign Hellebuyck? He wasn't ready for prime time NHL duty, wouldn't it be better to send him back to Hockey East and see if he can set more records?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We have a massive sample with Maurice. He gets replaced. If you aren't going to integrate good prospects at least win a lot.

Also that decent performance is a little deceiving. They went on a 2013 Leaf like run then came crumbling down.

How is he not integrating good prospects here?

He has no issue playing Trouba 25 minutes a night.

Scheifele seems to be on Maurice's fast tack to assume the number one C spot.

Lowry will be developed in a third line role this year.

Maybe Postma takes a step forward and solidifies himself as a good puckmoving pp QB bottom pairing guy this year. It seems like Maurice really likes his game.

I just don't see this veteran bias at all. He doesn't seem to have any issue with young players playing key roles. Just because he isn't flooding the roster with teenagers doesn't mean he doesn't like young players. Quite frankly I am quite happy with how we are bringing in our prospects so far. They are all given roles they can play and are surrounded with established players to help with the transition. No complaints whatsoever by me.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm so glad Petan is being sent back to dominate the league he has been dominating for two straight seasons. This is gonna grow his game so much. He has had so much problem doing his thing there the past two seasons, so this isn't gonna be a wasted year at all.

In fact, why did we sign Hellebuyck? He wasn't ready for prime time NHL duty, wouldn't it be better to send him back to Hockey East and see if he can set more records?

You have to wonder why the sport never reevaluates the premises their decisions are being made on. Hmm maybe things have changed since the 70's.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We have a massive sample with Maurice. He gets replaced. If you aren't going to integrate good prospects at least win a lot.

Also that decent performance is a little deceiving. They went on a 2013 Leaf like run then came crumbling down.

Actually, their possession numbers climbed with Maurice. The "crumbling down" probably had something to do with losing their second best C and one of their top 3 D (Bogo). If Jokinen is your second best center and you have Ellerby and Pardy playing regularly on D, you are not going to go far in the Central.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
RE Bolded:

That's fine, but I won't. Petan is and was better than many players that will be on the roster this year, along with the potential to get much better.

Completely disagree. You are putting way too much stock in meaningless preseason games where many of the vets are half### it for the most part. Name one player other than Lowry in the top 9 that you could argue he'd be better than this year.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
How is he not integrating good prospects here?

He has no issue playing Trouba 25 minutes a night.

Scheifele seems to be on Maurice's fast tack to assume the number one C spot.

Lowry will be developed in a third line role this year.

Maybe Postma takes a step forward and solidifies himself as a good puckmoving pp QB bottom pairing guy this year. It seems like Maurice really likes his game.

I just don't see this veteran bias at all. He doesn't seem to have any issue with young players playing key roles. Just because he isn't flooding the roster with teenagers doesn't mean he doesn't like young players. Quite frankly I am quite happy with how we are bringing in our prospects so far. They are all given roles they can play and are surrounded with established players to help with the transition. No complaints whatsoever by me.

Postma? He's almost 26. We are playing Halischuk and thorburn and peluso and slater over Petan, Pardy over Morrissey. Petan led the CHL in scoring at 17. He was very good all preseason everywhere on the rink.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Petan a lot... Let's assume he made the team, does he replace Lowry in the top-9, or would he be on the 4th line instead of Galiardi or Halischuk? There really was only 1 top-9 forward position open. There is no way that Maurice was moving Buff back to D.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Completely disagree. You are putting way too much stock in meaningless preseason games where many of the vets are half### it for the most part. Name one player other than Lowry in the top 9 that you could argue he'd be better than this year.

Meaningless preseason games? Hah, like the 2 Hutch played? hmmm.

HOW IN HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED EVALUATE ANYONE. I appreciate your allegiance to our infallible management team, but you can't just keep making it up as you go along.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Postma? He's almost 26. We are playing Halischuk and thorburn and peluso and slater over Petan, Pardy over Morrissey. Petan led the CHL in scoring at 17. He was very good all preseason everywhere on the rink.

.... see above. Would you have liked to see Petan make the Jets as a 4th line player? Personally, I would have been okay with that, but would have preferred this more...

KSW
LLF
Petan-Perreault-Buff
Lowry-Slater-Galiardi

I would have been okay with Lowry starting in the AHL and coming up part way through the year to knock Slater out of his 4th line C position, or another 4th liner. I think Lowry gets more out of AHL development than Petan or Morrissey do from another year in the CHL.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
.... see above. Would you have liked to see Petan make the Jets as a 4th line player? Personally, I would have been okay with that, but would have preferred this more...

KSW
LLF
Petan-Perreault-Buff
Lowry-Slater-Galiardi

I would have been okay with Lowry starting in the AHL and coming up part way through the year to knock Slater out of his 4th line C position, or another 4th liner. I think Lowry gets more out of AHL development than Petan or Morrissey do from another year in the CHL.

If you can find a spot for Thorburn you can find a spot for Petan.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

KSW
LLF
Petan-Perreault-Buff
Lowry-Slater-Galiardi

What, and not having to put a plug in our top 9 when another top 9 player gets injured? What's the point of that? Personally, I'm looking forward to having to throw in Halischuk, Galiardi, Slater, Thorburn or Peluso in our top 9 for an extended period of time when someone gets injured.

But hey, it's all about development. And clearly, Petan has a lot to learn in the WHL which will make him improve as a player.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Back to cheering for losses again I guess.

I still don't understand what Lowry is doing in our top 9? Let's say Ehlers & Petan make the team next year. Both require top 9 spots so either Lowry moves down to the 4th line in his 2nd year or we have to get rid of: Frolik, Kane, or Ladd + Byfuglien just to make room for the rooks. No spot for Burmistrov either so you can't even raise his value before trading him.

A "Fire Chevy" chant at MTS Centre would be music to my ears.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you can find a spot for Thorburn you can find a spot for Petan.

...I'm okay if you prefer to answer the question obliquely and rhetorically. What I gather is that you would have been happy enough to have Petan on the 4th line instead of heading back to junior. Thorbs is definitely a 4th line player on this team (as are all the others you've lamented in relation to Petan).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Back to cheering for losses again I guess.

I still don't understand what Lowry is doing in our top 9? Let's say Ehlers & Petan make the team next year. Both require top 9 spots so either Lowry moves down to the 4th line in his 2nd year or we have to get rid of: Frolik, Kane, or Ladd + Byfuglien to make room for the rooks. No spot for Burmistrov either so you can't even raise his value before trading him.

We need a "Fire Chevy" chant at MTS Centre.

"Fire Chevy" because the Jets have too much forward depth and need to trade vets to make room for promising rookies? :huh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Meaningless preseason games? Hah, like the 2 Hutch played? hmmm.

HOW IN HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED EVALUATE ANYONE. I appreciate your allegiance to our infallible management team, but you can't just keep making it up as you go along.

Excuse me!

What have I made up. Hutch and his 3 NHL games doesn't get the same grace period as the rest of the established vets on this team, I'm sorry if you can't see that.

They evaluated and came to the conclusion that one young player was better suited for a roster spot than another young player. They didn't choose a scrub 4th liner over Petan, they choose another prospect that they value highly for that role.

Just because Postma is 25 doesn't mean that he isn't worth developing, especially when he showed better than Morrissey. Once again we didn't choose a scrub like Ellerby over Morrissey, we choose a young player with some upside.

Quite frankly I have no problem following the Detroit model with most of our prospects.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
"Fire Chevy" because the Jets have too much forward depth and need to trade vets to make room for promising rookies? :huh:

We're not making any progress if Ehlers & Petan are coming in at the expense of a Kane, Byfuglien, or Ladd (who may walk for nothing or be traded at reduced value for assets that are years away from contributing). Textbook treadmill situation.

Last edited:

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
...I'm okay if you prefer to answer the question obliquely and rhetorically. What I gather is that you would have been happy enough to have Petan on the 4th line instead of heading back to junior. Thorbs is definitely a 4th line player on this team (as are all the others you've lamented in relation to Petan).

we are going to need more than 9 top 9 players to get through a season.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Excuse me!

What have I made up. Hutch and his 3 NHL games doesn't get the same grace period as the rest of the established vets on this team, I'm sorry if you can't see that.

They evaluated and came to the conclusion that one young player was better suited for a roster spot than another young player. They didn't choose a scrub 4th liner over Petan, they choose another prospect that they value highly for that role.

Just because Postma is 25 doesn't mean that he isn't worth developing, especially when he showed better than Morrissey. Once again we didn't choose a scrub like Ellerby over Morrissey, we choose a young player with some upside.

Quite frankly I have no problem following the Detroit model with most of our prospects.

Agree, surixon.

Morrissey didn't play well enough, IMO. Petan may have, but there were vet options and Petan has jr eligibility left. Like Scheifele, he can finish his jr career and push for a spot next year.

If the Jets do poorly this year, there will be plenty of spots, or should be, for Petan.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We're not making any progress if Ehlers & Petan are coming in at the expense of a Kane, Byfuglien, or Ladd.

Kane, Buff and Ladd don't go for nothing.

If Ehlers can replace a top-6 forward (let's say Buff), then you trade Buff for strong assets. Similarly, if Petan can replace a top-9 player, you trade that player for assets.

I've tried to make this point before... the Jets prospect pipeline that is now going to start putting pressure on the top-9 F and top-4 D has been accumulated while the core players have retained most of their asset value (and in some cases increased their value). If the prospects can replace the vets you can make a move with a vet to bring in something you need. At this point, I would angle for a top young D prospect and/or 2015 first round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad