2014-15 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The issue is if you run a third line of Petan, Ehlers, and Perrault well you likely have the smallest line in the league. I like our prospects as much as the next guy but that is a recipe for disaster, especially in the western conference. Rookies make mistakes and having two on the same line compounds matters. I am in favor of one making it and riding shot gun with two experienced NHL players who he can lean onto for support. Buff would provide some much needed size and would take a lot of attention away from Petan or Ehlers.

No sweat as long as E & P are ready.

Forwards:
L-L-F
Ehl-Schief-Wheels
Kane- Perrault-Petan
4th- whoever

DEFENSE:
Enstrom-Trouba
Morrissey-Buff
Stu-Bogo
Clit replaces Morrisey if he's not ready

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think any of Morrissey, Petan, or Ehlers stick. Honestly I'd prefer if they didn't and we tanked a bit this year. Improve all of our 2015 draft picks, make a few moves for some more, and we're golden.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
we need a top five pick. :naughty: Imagine Barzal, Konecny, Eichel or McDavid playing with Ehlers. :amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Scheif-Kane
2015-Ehlers
LLF/W
MP85-Buff

Playoffs in 2016 here we come! Yee haw:sarcasm::naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think any of Morrissey, Petan, or Ehlers stick. Honestly I'd prefer if they didn't and we tanked a bit this year. Improve all of our 2015 draft picks, make a few moves for some more, and we're golden.

I think that bringing in those three as rookies would suggest that the Jets are not looking for a high placement this years. Even very good rookies will have a hard time winning in the NHL. A full-on youth movement with those three rookies and moving out a couple of vets would be a fast track to a top-5 pick, I think.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The more rookies they bring in the more likely they will drop to the bottom of the pile. As good as Ehlers, Petan and Morrissey are as prospects it is extremely difficult for 18 & 19 yo to carry a heavy load over 82 games. And us being in such a tough division IMO we would likely drop down to bottom 5 in the league. It would be exciting and fun to watch, but there would also be lots of mistakes and missed assignments along the way.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I think it's a clever way to tank too; it's valuable game time and experience for these future core players and it's something the fans would be behind; it's so fun to watch the kids (Jets' future stars) play and see where they are.

The fans don't mind losing as they never expected anything else. With Frolik, Ladd, Little, Wheeler etc there are expectations but with all the kids out, nothing but fun to watch and points are a bonus. I think this is a really viable plan looking towards the 2015 draft.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The more rookies they bring in the more likely they will drop to the bottom of the pile. As good as Ehlers, Petan and Morrissey are as prospects it is extremely difficult for 18 & 19 yo to carry a heavy load over 82 games. And us being in such a tough division IMO we would likely drop down to bottom 5 in the league. It would be exciting and fun to watch, but there would also be lots of mistakes and missed assignments along the way.

Interesting idea, not sure if management would do that or not. We'll see, either way it will be fun.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

I really don't want to jeopardize their development by bringing in too many of them at once.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I really don't want to jeopardize their development by bringing in too many of them at once.

Please excuse my ignorance but why would it jeopardise their development? I come from a soccer background and there the general rule is "if you're good enough, your old enough" and it's all about game time and experience- that's what makes you better and there is no substitute for experience/gametime.

Is it not the same in hockey? The more games Ehlers, Petan, Morrissey, etc can get, regardless of results, will make them better in the long-term?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Please excuse my ignorance but why would it jeopardise their development? I come from a soccer background and there the general rule is "if you're good enough, your old enough" and it's all about game time and experience- that's what makes you better and there is no substitute for experience/gametime.

Is it not the same in hockey? The more games Ehlers, Petan, Morrissey, etc can get, regardless of results, will make them better in the long-term?

If they're good enough to supplant another roster player, then by all means, bring them up. I don't want them up just for the sake of getting a top 5 pick, though. That was my point.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Ah that makes sense, and I'd agree. I'm not advocating just taking all our draft picks from the last 3 years and throwing them in, that's too radical and I agree will not be good for anyone. But the players who are just about there should be given a go because it's long-term better for them and the Jets, even if it makes us short term weaker. A lot of veteran players just can't cut it (and have proven it over many seasons) so bringing the youth through can't be any worse.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

In theory it's true. In practice young players can find themselves overwhelmed physically in the NHL. It can lead to confidence issues. They also tend to get limited ice time playing with less skilled players, or even sitting in the pressbox as a healthy scratch. They likely do benefit somewhat from practicing with better players on the NHL team but In these cases it is usually better for the player to go back to junior or the AHL with an increased role on their teams while they develop physically.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
I think a lot can be gleaned by looking closely at how the players have been assigned into the two groups. One group has the makings of the 1st and 3rd lines, and one the 2nd and 4th lines, plus one group has the top 4 D and the other the bottom two. You can extrapolate what prospect are seen to be fighting for what spots. Just sayin'...

PS - I think at this stage of things I rather see:

Petan - Perrault - Buff
Than:
Ehlers - Perrault - Buff

Perrault is probably our best shooter and I think Petan could feed him the puck all day long with Buff's help. Perrault would get a million points. Yes, that's right... A MILLION!

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Not sure if this was posted yet.... Teams for training camp intra-squad games

Team Blue

1 OLKINUORA, Jussi
2 PARDY, Adam
34 HUTCHINSON, Michael
4 POSTMA, Paul
5 STUART, Mark
8 TROUBA, Jake
9 KANE, Evander
15 HALISCHUK, Matt
19 SLATER, Jim
21 GALIARDI, T.J.
24 CLITSOME, Grant
26 WHEELER, Blake
27 TANGRADI, Eric
32 TAYLOR, Danny
43 O'NEILL Will
46 LIPON, JC
53 KOSTALEK, Jan
55 SCHEIFELE, Mark
57 DE LEO, Chase
58 O'DELL, Eric
61 BRASSARD, Austen
65 BLOMQVIST, Axel
71 MELCHIORI, Julien
72 KOSMACHUK, Scott

Team White

7 ELLERBY, Keaton
14 PELUSO, Anthony
16 LADD, Andrew
18 LITTLE. Bryan
22 THORBURN, Chris
30 HELLEBUYCK, Connor
31 PAVELEC, Ondrej
33 BYFUGLIEN, Dustin
36 MORRISSEY, Josh
38 PETAN, Nic
39 ENSTROM, Toby
42 EHLERS, Nikolaj
45 LODGE, Jimmy
48 KLINGBERG, Carl
49 BROUILLETTE, Julien
56 LOWRY, Adam
59 KICHTON, Brendan
60 COMRIE, Eric
62 NOGIER, Nelson
63 CHIAROT, Ben
67 FROLIK, Michael
68 OLSEN, Ryan
70 ALBERT, John
85 PERREAULT, Mathieu

Looks like Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler vs Ladd-Little-Frolik. Interesting...

edit: Easier to read here: http://illegalcurve.com/2014/09/16/winnipeg-jets-release-training-camp-schedule-and-rosters/

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not sure if this was posted yet.... Teams for training camp intra-squad games

Likely the game rosters for the first 2 exibition games will come from those lists as well. White one game and blue the other. This was my speculation yesterday for game 1

Team white (game 1 lineup?)

Ladd Little Frolik
Ehlers Perreault Byfuglien
Petan Lowry Klingberg
Lodge Olsen Thorburn

(Peluso Albert)

Enstrom Bogosian
Morrissey Ellerby
Chiarot Kitchton

(Brouillette Nogier)

Hellebuyck
Comrie

(Pavelec)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Flaherty working with Pav on a separate sheet today. Looks lonely out there.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

That's one way to tank, but it may not be the best way. Keeping them in junior so we don't burn a year of ELC (not to mention waiver and UFA implications) is a better long term solution. I'd rather call up guys like Klingberg and Chiarot to see what they're worth, they're near the end of the line where they need to sink or swim. Move assets like Clitsome and Buff, maybe even one of the untouchables in Enstrom or Ladd.

This is probably the most exciting training camp in Jets 2.0 history. The chaos of the first year is long gone, the second and third year didn't offer much controversy. This year we have prospects pushing for every position, waiver implications, and more depth than ever.

We're likely going to lose some assets to the waiver wire, although that may not be a bad thing.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Today the young stars are on one sheet. The vets are on another.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not here today

Enstrom
Buff
Scheifele
Halischuk
Peluso
Clitsome

Also Ehlers absent from young stars group

Last edited: