2014-15 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
on a serious note Ehlers will get SOME time depending on pre-season.

SPECULATION TIEM!!!!!!11!!!!1111!!!1

He doesn't even need schief 2011 pre season, he just needs to fit in, and he'll get a few games.

If he does reach schief 2011 levels, he'll get the full 9, but probably ultimately end up back in the Q

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730592

The Winnipeg Jets announced they have re-assigned the following six players from training camp. Players will report to the following teams where indicated:

Chase Balisy - St. John’s (AHL)
Jean Dupuy - St. John’s (AHL)
Ben Walker - St. John’s (AHL)
Zach Bell - St. John’s (AHL)
Ralfs Freibergs - St. John’s (AHL)
Nikolas Brouillard - Quebec (QMJHL)

I know Balisy and Freibergs have AHL contracts with the Icecaps (Bell too, I think), but what's the status with Walker? I thought he did really well in the Prospects camp and tournament, and comments made about him were largely positive. I think he's earned at least an AHL contract as a depth scorer.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd agree with Galiardi being a lock (looks like a really poor signing otherwise) and O'Dell (he's earned the shot) but I can see Klingberg ahead of Halischuk in the press box to start the year as the 13th forward. Honestly, I can see him ahead of Thorburn but Chevy and I don't always agree on things.

I think with the "slow and steady" Mr. Day Off at the wheel, no way that either Ehlers or Petan get rushed into the lineup.

...meh, Galiardi is on a pretty cheap one-year two-way contract. Not sure how that is going to constrain the Jets.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You should look first at the links you post.

10644023_333171246853726_252264960_n.jpg

Am guessing they've already met.
:D

Hey it's Chandler's weird roommate!

adam-goldberg.jpg

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Perreault not on the same team as Kane! Kane is with Schief!

jk, but if we want to put stock into the TC teams:

Ladd - Little - Frolik
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Perreault - Buff
Halischuk - Slater - Galiardi

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Given their veteran and contract status with the team, its really safe to assume that Perreault, Buff, Slater and Thorburn are guaranteed spots. That leaves 2 open roster spots plus one forward in the press box - so a total of 3.

These are the guys competing for those spots:

Tangradi (1 way)
Peluso (1 way)
Halischuck (2 way) *200,000 AHL Salary
Galiardi (2 way) *200,000 AHL Salary
O'Dell (2 way) *100,000 AHL Salary
Klingberg (2 way) * 75,000 AHL Salary
Petan (ELC)
Ehlers (ELC)

If you're like me and you don't think the Jets enjoy burning money, then that means that Tangradi and Peluso will likely take up 2 of those 3 spots (assuming they aren't traded)

That leaves the other 6 to compete for the remaining open spot. Who wins?

Of course they don't like "burning money" but your assumption appears to be that it is nothing but money. In that case it is the cheapest one. It will be Klingberg. Others need not apply.

I think you unfairly overstate the influence of contracts on this process. They all require waivers except the 2 ELCs. I'm guessing that at the season opening cut down deadline the teams are all concerned with getting their own rosters in order and there is a glut of players on waivers so most or all of them clear waivers so that is not a factor. If Mau wants to keep O'Dell and cut Tangradi they pay both NHL salaries = 1.325 mil. If they go the other way to save money they pay 775k. A difference of 550k. Big money to me but I hope the Jets are not so cheap as to make roster decisions based solely on that.

Tangradi (1 way) 675,000
Peluso (1 way) 562,500
Halischuck (2 way) 725,000 *200,000 AHL Salary
Galiardi (2 way) 700,000 *200,000 AHL Salary
O'Dell (2 way) 650,000 *100,000 AHL Salary
Klingberg (2 way) * 75,000 AHL Salary
Petan (ELC) 692,500 + PB 232,500
Ehlers (ELC) 925,000 + PB 575,000

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I know Balisy and Freibergs have AHL contracts with the Icecaps (Bell too, I think), but what's the status with Walker? I thought he did really well in the Prospects camp and tournament, and comments made about him were largely positive. I think he's earned at least an AHL contract as a depth scorer.

I'd guess Walker Dupuy and Bell are getting AHL PTO's

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Perreault not on the same team as Kane! Kane is with Schief!

jk, but if we want to put stock into the TC teams:

Ladd - Little - Frolik
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Perreault - Buff
Halischuk - Slater - Galiardi

I'd swicth O'Dell with Hali. I'd also not be surprised if Buff and Ehlers switched wings.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Main point of interest is the third line wing spot:

It seems up for grabs:

Can one of Petan or Ehlers wrestle it away from O'Dell.

Will Morrissey make the team out of camp is another storyline that interests me.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Team white (game 1 lineup?)

Ladd Little Frolik
Ehlers Perreault Byfuglien
Petan Lowry Klingberg
Lodge Olsen Thorburn

(Peluso Albert)

Enstrom Bogosian
Morrissey Ellerby
Chiarot Kitchton

(Brouillette Nogier)

Hellebuyck
Comrie

(Pavelec)

Last edited:

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

so Brouillard is not our property? He looked decent in the tournament.

also, I like Buff playing with Ehlers. Nobody screws with Ehlers while Big Buff is on his line.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Buff will battle on the boards and behind the net. That makes him a valuable linemate, but taking on all comers - not so much.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Training camp will be awesome to observe this year because so much is at stake. My gut tells me though that Petan and Ehlers make the Jets. The relatively cheap contracts clear waivers except for O'Dell who would have to be traded or lost. I want to see him stay with the team as well. I think Klingberg has used up his chances and will not make the team.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I know this isn't optimal but I wonder if Ehlers impresses if Jets Management keep him with the team and trade O'Dell. I doubt they would want to trade any of the so-called "depth" players (Thorbs etc.). TBH I wouldn't be terribly against trading O'Dell if Ehlers got to stay (provided he is ready).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad