GDT: 2014-15 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Watched the video. Would be nice if there was some sort of text naming the players and coaches. Maybe a bit of narration. Maybe none of that but no soundtrack and let us listen to what the players are saying.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
I talked about it a couple of weeks ago: I had the chance to scout Marcus Power at the Atlantic Cup in 2008, in Moncton, New Brunswick. Here is my scouting report from that tournament in October 2008.

Marcus Power 5’10 ½ 145
1993-07-14
Center, shoots left
Midget team: St-John’s AAA Fog Devils

The captain and best forward of Newfoundland, Power never quits. Dynamic with the puck, good change of direction, good foot speed, will be a much better skater and will have better balance when his legs get stronger. For now, he has thin legs.

Can grab the puck along the board near the blue line in the offensive zone and go in the slot with intensity and take a good wrist shot. Same thing on the PP, goes in the slot and takes a good wrist shot. In all situations, goes in the slot with intensity and determination.

Carries the puck , can use all the width of the ice to make a play. Can drop his interior shoulder to protect the puck, when skating down his wing in the offensive zone, and take a shot.

Works very hard: in the first game, against New Brunswick, when his team is trailing by 2 goals late in the 3rd period, comes back with intensity on a backcheck. Against Nova Scotia and PEI, never quits in spite of a desperate situation and a large gap in the score, keeps on working hard in the defensive zone, keeps on driving with the puck in the slot, in the offensive zone.

Will need to gain weight and physical strength in order to win his one on one battles along the boards, in the slot and moving on the ice.

That’s what is missing to bring his game to the next level: upgrade his upper body strength and his legs strength.

Rating, 1 to 5.
1. Weak
2. Average
3. Good
4. Very good
5. Exceptional

Skating: 3
Work ethic/character: 4
Hockey sense: 3
Skills: 3.5
Physicality: 2.5

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not worth starting a separate thread for, Avs released a video from a road trip last spring.

[NHL]630480[/NHL]

Worth watching just for the soundtrack the first three minutes. It's like elevator music jam.

Pretty cool, I like the music, very 90s thriller vibe. :laugh:

Landeskog had a bad hair day, I didn't know it was possible for him. :sarcasm:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There was very little of interest in that video.

I doubt I make it over to the rookie camp tomorrow but may try to go Tuesday and Wednesday and check it out. I don't recall too much interesting happening during rookie camp last year, just a bunch of drills. Will be nice to see some of the new guys though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
BxlRtgHIIAAg1R6.jpg

Here we go!

Joey Leach looks like the only new name. He was a 3rd round pick by the Flames a few years ago IIRC.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm surprised Wilhelm Westlund is there.

Hishon is currently running at Red Rocks with the O'Reilly clan.

I'm only mildly surprised. If the Avs are really interested in their Euros, they usually come over for a camp before they have to get signed. Westlund has 3 more seasons before he has to get signed, but now is as good of time as any to take a look at him.

Pretty sure it was Dario who tweeted it.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Anyone going to rookie camp the next few days? Would be nice to hear some reports.

Also for those who are going to the main camp, keep an eye on Barrie for me. I'm interested/concerned to see how he comes back from his knee injury, those always seem to take a whole season for the player to get his explosiveness back.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Angelique C. Murray‏@Jori5280·2m
Bleackley and Rendulic looking very sharp early on.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Interesting Power is on AHL contract and not tryout.

Anyway, I'm present so ready to see some action.

The article published in our local newspaper said Power had a tryout here with the IceCaps but changed his mind when he got an opportunity to try out for an actual NHL team in Colorado.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So these AHL contract guys are going to be in LE or FW, yes? Is there a chance they are not part of the organization?
Schumacher is definitely going to be on the Monsters next year, AHL contracts are basically just players where Avs can sign and not be counted towards the 50 player limit. Avs also save some money as well.

Now all of you can see how beautiful Edmonton is.
It looks like a city where you could film an Apocalyptic Zombie movie at.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
for me it's interesting that Beaupre is not there while e.g Meurs is.

Lots of AHL vets are not there.... seems if you have played 2 full years in the AHL, then you get to skip rookie camp. Probably because they want to focus on certain things with this group and get a good baseline.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Lots of AHL vets are not there.... seems if you have played 2 full years in the AHL, then you get to skip rookie camp. Probably because they want to focus on certain things with this group and get a good baseline.

Avs probably have a good idea of the ability of those AHL players and it's easier to evaluate the newer guys with a smaller group on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad