GDT: 2014-15 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If a team claims Elliott they have to put him on their NHL roster. Its possible a team would take a chance on him but they also still have to make room for him at the NHL level. If that team waives him then I believe the Avs are allowed to take him back and send him to the AHL. This happened with Urbom last year, New Jersey waived him and he spent 3 months in Washington who then waived him and the Devils took him back and sent him to Albany.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Him not succeeding in the NHL yet isn't because of his size... even the defensive liability could be forgiven if he was producing offence. He's an offence defenseman who provides little offence in the NHL. It's time to call a spade a spade.

Ok, when speaking about "size" I tend to equate part of that with his ability to play physical defence and be strong in tough areas. In that aspect, yes, it has been a reason for him not sticking in the NHL. He frequently got beat in puck battles and in front of the net.

And I will definitely disagree with your comments about him not producing offence at the NHL level. He's put up 18 points in his first 56 career NHL games. If you compare that point-per-game average to last year's team, it would be among the top 5 defenders on the team. That's been with very limited minutes and while going up and down on a regular basis over his short NHL career.

I still think the kid could be a productive NHLer as early as this coming year, as long as you are willing to take the bumps that come defensively. Sure, he'll probably directly cause a goal per week for the first half of the season, but he has the skill to outweigh those negatives...not to mention the fact that those negatives would likely drastically decrease once he got more experience at comfort at this level.

We all see how Tyson Barrie is a perfect fit for this system. Elliott has shown to be a more dynamic version of that, just with more lumps, miscues and a bigger learning curve than Barrie ever came with.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Wat? Eliot a more dynamic version of Tyson? [mod]
The numbers are way off... Barrie put up some great numbers. Perhaps I misunderstood you?
As for myself I'm fine with avs letting Eliot go.
Wilson will play as he actually hits opponents when he can skate, and seems to be recovered from injuries.
Both Guinin and Cliche are redundant as we have new better faster etc guys to try...
It would be nice to see Bleakley, he could be useful down the line this season so only way that happens is he makes squad, then goes to le. If he goes now it's down to Juniors where he is locked away till next season...
Hishon may also be needed in top six if McG and one of the current top 6 are injured.
Glad Winchester and Redmond look to add grit and let's hope they fit.
What about Stuart? Did he play today?

Last edited by a moderator:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The numbers are way off... Barrie put up some great numbers. Perhaps I misunderstood you?
Wilson will play as he actually hits opponents when he can skate, and seems to be recovered from injuries.
Both Guinin and Cliche are redundant as we have new better faster etc guys to try...
It would be nice to see Bleakley, he could be useful down the line this season so only way that happens is he makes squad, then goes to le. If he goes now it's down to Juniors where he is locked away till next season...
Hishon may also be needed in top six if McG and one of the current top 6 are injured.

[mod] Just someone who has watched them both develop since they were 16 years old. Elliott has the more dynamic game, it just hasn't been as pro-ready as Barrie's has been...which was to be expected.

And there is zero way that Bleackley can end up in Lake Erie.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Actually he was. When he first got to the show, he was pretty impressive. Barrie wasnt the player then he is now, but he was better than Elliot positionally and stronger.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He's put up 18 points in his first 56 career NHL games. If you compare that point-per-game average to last year's team, it would be among the top 5 defenders on the team

Better then Hedja, Sarich, Guenin, and Wilson. Sorry, but that's nothing to brag about.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How did Mackinnon look in training camp and scrimmages so far?

Electric. He's just as fast if not faster but he's a lot stronger. He's noticeably bigger. He's challenging guys more and even playing with a bit of an edge, fighting back and hitting. I'm real interested to see how much of the edge he plans to continue. You can see the shootout goal he scored today he's just so confident right now in his game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I always thought Elliott would be better than Barrie...

As for the whole clearing waivers thing I have to say I really hate the waiver rules with the new CBA. It used to be simple, if they were 2 way they could go back and fourth. Now it's so confusing and it's unsettling for young guys who aren't ready to make the step to the NHL. There are a lot of guys who will need to clear waivers over the next few weeks who are borderline NHL'ers with a lot of potential. We could see 23 year olds moving through 2-3 teams a year from waivers.

I'd understand the rule if they lowered the AHL age and allowed an exceptional status rule to allow some junior aged guys, but right now you pretty much have to make the NHL by 22-23 or you team has to risk losing you.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If we want Elliott to clear waivers, would it make sense to cut him early when teams are still waiting to see what their rosters are like or late when teams' rosters are more or less set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad