Proposal: 2014-15 Season Trade Rumours/Proposals thread vol. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskimo

Pesky Pesky...
Jul 28, 2011
Was thinking of Perron too, looks like I wasn't alone haha

Wonder if they could swing a quantity for quality deal, MacT is apparently scouring for a capable center, wonder if something like or around Smith and Boro/Patty could get Perron... Salaries are close, Ottawa takes some if Boro is moved. Plus maybe they could be sold on Greening (due to Pouliot's injury) or Condra's defensive skills for a small plus in that deal. I don't see it happening but fun to guess about!

(Going off the lines at today's practice, sorta)

MacArthur-Turris-Chiasson
Perron-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Legwand-Neil
Hoffman-Lazar-Stone
Greening
Condra

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba
Boro/Patty

EDIT: OH the rumor is top line center... well then screw that, I was stretching it before, now its just ridiculous haha

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If Perron nets a top line center, then we should be able to get a first pairing defenseman for Greening.

I mean really....Perron is an average player. Dude looks like a run of the mill 45 point guy.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If Perron nets a top line center, then we should be able to get a first pairing defenseman for Greening.

I mean really....Perron is an average player. Dude looks like a run of the mill 45 point guy.

He has some bite to him and really isnt afraid to mix it up. This year he looks a bit demoralized though. Guy could hover around 25-30 goals and has some finish to him

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I just want to trade with Edmonton. That franchise is a bit of a mess and the fans aren't interested in tanking any longer. Give them something around Methot for Nurse or similar.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I just want to trade with Edmonton. That franchise is a bit of a mess and the fans aren't interested in tanking any longer. Give them something around Methot for Nurse or similar.

I dunno. I'm very wary about trading for anyone who has been a part of that mess for a significant time. Especially any young guys. Edmonton sucks at developing their kids, and many of them have picked up bad habits, or haven't been ale to shake off their bad junior habits.

Picking up any of their guys - especially for any of our good young guys or a guy we desperately need like Methot - is a huge risk.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Anyone else a bit worried about or backlog of forward assets right now?

As I see it, we've committed to a top 9 for at least the next few seasons: Chiaisson, Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Zib, Stone, Lazar, Hoff, Milo. I'm relatively confident that that will be an above average squad in two seasons.

Meanwhile, we've got NHL quality prospects that are stuck looking in like Pageau, Puempel and likely a few others over the next season or two. Do we address that issue now by pulling the trigger on a trade or two, or do we wait and let the competition continue?

BigBush*

As I see it, we've committed to a top 9 for at least the next few seasons: Chiaisson, Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Zib, Stone, Lazar, Hoff, Milo. I'm relatively confident that that will be an above average squad in two seasons.

Meanwhile, we've got NHL quality prospects that are stuck looking in like Pageau, Puempel and likely a few others over the next season or two. Do we address that issue now by pulling the trigger on a trade or two, or do we wait and let the competition continue?

Im not worried about it at all. I don't think any of our prospects are NHL ready aside Pageau. Give Puempel more time to develop and force him to play good enough that Ottawa has no choice but to make room for him

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Im not worried about it at all. I don't think any of our prospects are NHL ready aside Pageau. Give Puempel more time to develop and force him to play good enough that Ottawa has no choice but to make room for him

And what if Puemps and pageau earn spots and the rest of the top nine are performing at a similar level? At a certain point you just start swapping comparable pieces in and out without improving the team, and waivers becomes a real threat.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Agreed.

If we were an elite caliber team and had guys in the AHL who should be on the roster, then I'd be in the mood to swap assets for picks.

Currently, the depth and quality of our team isn't that special that 29 other teams are chomping at the bit to grab our leftovers.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
something around Smith for Perron

How in the world is this a logic trade?

David Perron scored 28 goals and 57 points last year. Was on pace for 45 in the shortened season and had 45 points in 58 games the year before. Smith is a 3rd line center. You know who makes 55-60 points per year? Bobby Ryan, Clarke Macarthur ... They can get about 200times better deal than that and it's not like they would need any prospect or picks to be added with Smith.

Unfortunately Mike Milbury isn't in the league anymore.

Karlsson2Turris*

We don't need David Perron. We already have Francis Perron.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

There's going to be lots of room over the next two years. Neil (Retires), Legwand (Contract Expiring or Traded), Condra (Contract Expiring or Traded), and Greening (if traded). Michalek's deal is up in 3 years.

Puempel still has this year and next year left on his ELC. Ottawa is very thin on the LW. Not counting Smith, who seems to be much better at centre, Ottawa currently has Mac-Hoffman-Michalek-Greening as their LW depth. Without any further additions, if Greening is traded as rumoured, that looks like a line up that Puempel could crack in a bottom 6 scoring role.

Pageau is still only 22 and is on the final year of his ELC. Hoffman is 24 now, and this season seemed to be considered Hoffman's last shot at the line up. Pageau still has time, and it seems to line up almost perfectly with when certain Senators contracts expire.

Legwand's contract is interesting in that it's slightly front loaded. Given the right circumstance, maybe he is traded at the deadline or during the off season. Even if Legwand plays out his full contract with the Senators, it is only two years long, which would give the Senators a good timeline to replace him in the bottom 6 with Pageau.

Smith has 3 years left on his deal until he becomes a UFA. If Pageau proves to be a better or equally as good option in the bottom 6, and other teams see Smith as valuable, Ottawa could move Smith. In that situation, the line up stays equally as good, and Ottawa gets assets for a player who at the time might have 2 years left on his deal before Ottawa potentially loses him "for nothing".

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There's going to be lots of room over the next two years. Neil (Retires), Legwand (Contract Expiring or Traded), Condra (Contract Expiring or Traded), and Greening (if traded). Michalek's deal is up in 3 years.

Puempel still has this year and next year left on his ELC. Ottawa is very thin on the LW. Not counting Smith, who seems to be much better at centre, Ottawa currently has Mac-Hoffman-Michalek-Greening as their LW depth. Without any further additions, if Greening is traded as rumoured, that looks like a line up that Puempel could crack in a bottom 6 scoring role.

Pageau is still only 22 and is on the final year of his ELC. Hoffman is 24 now, and this season seemed to be considered Hoffman's last shot at the line up. Pageau still has time, and it seems to line up almost perfectly with when certain Senators contracts expire.

Legwand's contract is interesting in that it's slightly front loaded. Given the right circumstance, maybe he is traded at the deadline or during the off season. Even if Legwand plays out his full contract with the Senators, it is only two years long, which would give the Senators a good timeline to replace him in the bottom 6 with Pageau.

Smith has 3 years left on his deal until he becomes a UFA. If Pageau proves to be a better or equally as good option in the bottom 6, and other teams see Smith as valuable, Ottawa could move Smith. In that situation, the line up stays equally as good, and Ottawa gets assets for a player who at the time might have 2 years left on his deal before Ottawa potentially loses him "for nothing".

If our plan is to use Pageau or Peumpel as fourth liners, I'd rather trade them and bring up guys like Buddy and Durz or just grab some UFAs. I think it would be a waste to run any of the guys I identified as top 9 candidates on the fourth line, so what happens to Neil, Smith, Greening, Condra and Legwand doesn't factor into the equation for me.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
How in the world is this a logic trade?

David Perron scored 28 goals and 57 points last year. Was on pace for 45 in the shortened season and had 45 points in 58 games the year before. Smith is a 3rd line center. You know who makes 55-60 points per year? Bobby Ryan, Clarke Macarthur ... They can get about 200times better deal than that and it's not like they would need any prospect or picks to be added with Smith.

Unfortunately Mike Milbury isn't in the league anymore.

the oilers are close 2nd:laugh:

side note he didnt say straight up, if oilers decide to retool again lol for next year, you offer up wiercioch+prospect+one of 2nds along with smith and im sure the oilers go for that(i think that may just be a bit too much from ottawas end but we have enough near nhl players that i think we can make the trade)

BigBush*

the oilers are close 2nd:laugh:

side note he didnt say straight up, if oilers decide to retool again lol for next year, you offer up wiercioch+prospect+one of 2nds along with smith and im sure the oilers go for that(i think that may just be a bit too much from ottawas end but we have enough near nhl players that i think we can make the trade)

thanks. This was more along the lines of what i was thinking

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Pageau is the only player I don't see ever getting a spot on the Sens and if he does, it'll be as a 4th line center. I'd hate to trade him but it makes sense form a depth perspective.

He's probably got decent value as well because of speed, worth ethic and safeness.

Pageau + Wiercioch + 2nd could get a quality player.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pageau is the only player I don't see ever getting a spot on the Sens and if he does, it'll be as a 4th line center. I'd hate to trade him but it makes sense form a depth perspective.

He's probably got decent value as well because of speed, worth ethic and safeness.

values their to bring in someone good but we would need to trade someone off of our immediate roster to make room for said new player (unless management really wants to bench on of our expensive players ie Smith/Legwand/Neil/Michalek/Phillips)

if we are making the deal we might as well try adding in a player off of our immediate roster to get someone better

BigBush*

i want a better look at Pageau before we trade him to make sure hes not the next briere

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If our plan is to use Pageau or Peumpel as fourth liners, I'd rather trade them and bring up guys like Buddy and Durz or just grab some UFAs. I think it would be a waste to run any of the guys I identified as top 9 candidates on the fourth line, so what happens to Neil, Smith, Greening, Condra and Legwand doesn't factor into the equation for me.

Being in the bottom six doesn't equal fourth line checker/goon/grinder in today's NHL.

Hoffman/Lazar/Stone ice time wise has been for the most part a bottom 6 line. Many successful teams have scoring throughout their line up.

If Puempel is good enough to play in the top 9 in the NHL, unless Ottawa makes a big trade, he's probably got a big chance in Ottawa by the end of his ELC deal. By the time Puempel's ELC is done, Michalek will only have a year left on his deal and even could potentially be traded.

I don't know what is going to happen to Pageau, it depends on a lot of factors. At the very least, it looks like Ottawa's 3 centre positions could be locked up with Turris-Zbad-Lazar until 2018 when Turris stays or goes. How much trade value does Pageau really have? I'd rather just hold on to him and risk losing him for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad