2014-15 Season Trade Rumours/Proposals thread vol. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd be very happy with that trade. Too bad for Prince since it would have been sweet for him to be a Senator after being on the 67's but c'est la vie.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I wouldn't do that trade. Why do we need a slightly enhanced version of Greening coming back who is signed to a bad contract? I'd rather just get pick(s) back.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Perhaps, but most likely a 3rd liner through and through making 3.7M for the next 3 years. We have enough of those.

Solid 2-way player, can play center or LW, has shown offense in the past, at the cost of next to nothing. Seems like low risk high reward to me. Even if he's a 3rd liner for us (I'd see him beating Michalek out of a spot personally) he's a good, and versitile one. He'd also make a guy like Smith tradeable, not to mention Legwand.

So trade Greening+ for Berglund, trade Smith for futures or as a part to upgrade somewhere else.

Worst case, we are slightly better than right now, at the cost of a slight increase in budget (unless we trade Smith for futures).

Best case, Berglund thrives with us and is a top 6 winger.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd do this trade if we didn't have Michalek.

Do it either way. Smith might still have value, and Berglund offers the same defensive play + better offense. Move smith to Edm or whatever for a RD prospect, or picks, package him with something else to get something better if you want, but to me this is a great opportunity to buy low, and it doesn't carry the baggage that Stewart does.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
As Benny stated, if we didn't have Michalek signed long term then I'd be for it. But I'd rather have Smith really than Berglund. He plays his role well. He just needs to shift back to C. He's more effective there.

I don't think this guy is a top 6 player. He's a damn good 3rd liner though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As Benny stated, if we didn't have Michalek signed long term then I'd be for it. But I'd rather have Smith really than Berglund. He plays his role well. He just needs to shift back to C. He's more effective there.

I don't think this guy is a top 6 player. He's a damn good 3rd liner though.

I don't see room for Smith long term at center though; Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar will all be ahead of him, so best case he's stuck as our 4th line center. We've got Legwand this year and next, Pageau could be playing now if needed.

It's not that I don't like Smith, it's that right now we aren't getting full value out of him, but may be able to get it via trade. Berglund would address an area of weakness (LW), and has upside (I'd rather him filling in for injuries in our top 6 than Michalek or Smith).

I also think if Berglund can be had for Greening and a 2nd tier prospect, we can likely restore his value and move him later in the contract for more.

Edit: I totally understood why people didn't want Berglund as the primary piece coming back in a Spezza trade, but come on, if he's coming back and all we give up is Prince and a cap dump... Sorry Greening, but that's what you are these days, this is honestly a win win situation even if he doesn't pan out as a top 6 option. I honestly can't beleive people are against this trade, imo we are offering too little.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Solid 2-way player, can play center or LW, has shown offense in the past, at the cost of next to nothing. Seems like low risk high reward to me. Even if he's a 3rd liner for us (I'd see him beating Michalek out of a spot personally) he's a good, and versitile one. He'd also make a guy like Smith tradeable, not to mention Legwand.

So trade Greening+ for Berglund, trade Smith for futures or as a part to upgrade somewhere else.

Worst case, we are slightly better than right now, at the cost of a slight increase in budget (unless we trade Smith for futures).

Best case, Berglund thrives with us and is a top 6 winger.

Do it either way. Smith might still have value, and Berglund offers the same defensive play + better offense. Move smith to Edm or whatever for a RD prospect, or picks, package him with something else to get something better if you want, but to me this is a great opportunity to buy low, and it doesn't carry the baggage that Stewart does.
Where does Berglund fit?

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Berglund-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Michalek-Legwand-Neil
Hoffman-Lazar-Stone
Condra

Berglund-Zibanejad-Chiasson would be too slow and its a waste to get him if he's just gonna be used as a shutdown player or 4th liner. Michalek can do that.

I like the idea of the trade(Buying low). Just don't think Berglund is the type of player we need.

Unless Maclean is willing to play youth more.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Berglund-Lazar-Stone
Michalek-Legwand-Condra
Neil

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't see room for Smith long term at center though; Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar will all be ahead of him, so best case he's stuck as our 4th line center. We've got Legwand this year and next, Pageau could be playing now if needed.

That's exactly where he should be. I think he's an excellent 4th line C and an excellent role player. He's had a rough start to the year because he's been asked to play LW where he's not excelling at.

It's not that I don't like Smith, it's that right now we aren't getting full value out of him, but may be able to get it via trade. Berglund would address an area of weakness (LW), and has upside (I'd rather him filling in for injuries in our top 6 than Michalek or Smith).

I also think if Berglund can be had for Greening and a 2nd tier prospect, we can likely restore his value and move him later in the contract for more.

Berglund's upside is limited. He's not a dynamic player enough to be a top 6 player in my opinion. Like I already said, he's an excellent 3rd liner though. But I don't want to pay 3.7M for a third liner. We're already paying 4M for Michalek who is basically a bottom 6 player now.

If we're going for reclamation project I'd rather go after someone else who has a higher upside.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I wouldn't do that trade. Why do we need a slightly enhanced version of Greening coming back who is signed to a bad contract? I'd rather just get pick(s) back.

Exactly this, it wouldn't help our numbers up front either if we made this trade as we would still have 14 forwards. We also don't need anymore average forwards...Either we go big or go home

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Where does Berglund fit?

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Berglund-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Michalek-Legwand-Neil
Hoffman-Lazar-Stone
Condra

Berglund-Zibanejad-Chiasson would be too slow and its a waste to get him if he's just gonna be used as a shutdown player or 4th liner. Michalek can do that.

I like the idea of the trade(Buying low). Just don't think Berglund is the type of player we need.

Unless Maclean is willing to play youth more.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Berglund-Lazar-Stone
Michalek-Legwand-Condra
Neil

That looks like a solid lineup to me. Kid line can't stay together forever, and Berglund Lazar Stone looks like about as solid a 200 foot line as you can get. Gets Hoffman the extra icetime people have been screaming for too.

I also don't find Berglund's skating to be as much of an issue as you do; he's not fast, but he gets around the ice fine imo.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
That looks like a solid lineup to me. Kid line can't stay together forever, and Berglund Lazar Stone looks like about as solid a 200 foot line as you can get. Gets Hoffman the extra icetime people have been screaming for too.

I also don't find Berglund's skating to be as much of an issue as you do; he's not fast, but he gets around the ice fine imo.

I don't have a problem with his skating. Its just that trio as a whole.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't have a problem with his skating. Its just that trio as a whole.

Yeah, his skating is average. But the problem is that the Sens are average in team speed. We want to get faster. Berglund doesn't enhance our team speed.

I don't know. He just seems redundant. Just like Stewart is redundant. I'd rather target someone else. For example someone like Tomas Fleischmann. This is just a stab in the dark though, I'm not sure how he's been playing lately. Whether his struggles are physical, skill deteriorating or what?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, his skating is average. But the problem is that the Sens are average in team speed. We want to get faster. Berglund doesn't enhance our team speed.

I don't know. He just seems redundant. Just like Stewart is redundant. I'd rather target someone else. For example someone like Tomas Fleischmann. This is just a stab in the dark though, I'm not sure how he's been playing lately. Whether his struggles are physical, skill deteriorating or what?

I find team speed is less about the speed of the players and more about crisp passes. Guys like Michalek and Smith slow down team speed to me more than Stone for example.

Anyways, I'm not saying Berglund should be a target as much as I'm saying if the asking price is Greening, you can't go wrong. TBH, I'm still of the opinion that we should be going after a top 4 LD, but if we can take baby steps at getting better by upgrading Greening to Berglund, I still see that as steps in the right direction.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I find team speed is less about the speed of the players and more about crisp passes. Guys like Michalek and Smith slow down team speed to me more than Stone for example.

Anyways, I'm not saying Berglund should be a target as much as I'm saying if the asking price is Greening, you can't go wrong. TBH, I'm still of the opinion that we should be going after a top 4 LD, but if we can take baby steps at getting better by upgrading Greening to Berglund, I still see that as steps in the right direction.

Fair enough, but I'm still of the thought

pick + free spot on the roster + Smith > Berglund in the the lineup

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We aren't getting any good picks for Greening and the likelyness of someone taking Greening off of our hands without sending salary back is slim to none

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We aren't getting any good picks for Greening and the likelyness of someone taking Greening off of our hands without sending salary back is slim to none

Then there is no point in trading him. Even a low pick is a good pick for Greening. We are trying to get roster flexibility here, not really trying to get a top pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Then there is no point in trading him. Even a low pick is a good pick for Greening. We are trying to get roster flexibility here, not really trying to get a top pick.

The Sens would gladly take a roster player, even with a higher cap hit that expires at the end of this year for Greening.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Coyotes looking for more scoring and also a centre

Michalek and Smith for Samuelsson.

Berglund can then slide into Michalek's spot
Greening and Condra for Berglund

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Berglund-Legwand-Neil
Puempel-Lazar-Stone
Pageau

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If you can use Smith+Gryba+somthing or Smith+Methot+something to upgrade our defence after that Greening trade that makes us a more balanced team

Do the Greening trade mentioned above then say Smith+Gryba+spec for Schultz out of Edmonton or Smith+Gryba for Petry I would do both trades then easily. Gryba has been playing great but it adds more mobility to our defence

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Coyotes looking for more scoring and also a centre

Michalek and Smith for Samuelsson.

Berglund can then slide into Michalek's spot
Greening and Condra for Berglund

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Berglund-Legwand-Neil
Puempel-Lazar-Stone