2014-15 Season Trade Rumours/Proposals thread vol. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Me too!

However, I'm not sure I would classify Wier and Greening as very valuable assets. I would do it if the Sabres would do it for just those 2 and then just let Stewart walk after the year if he struggles here too... 4.65 mil gone just like that!

Yeah, I don't necessarily want Stewart, but I'd take on Stewart's expiring bad contract in exchange for Greening's 3-years worth of bad in a heartbeat.
That's just good cap management.

That being said, I fully imagine some other team (read: not us, hopefully) offering more than a bad contract and a project-ish defenceman for Stewart, so it seems like a non-issue. Some team who expected to make the playoffs and has come out of the gate slow will make a desperation trade and send Buffalo an actually useful asset for him. Buffalo will do better than Wier/Greening.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea, no to Stewart but if Eberle is available, I'm all over that.

As much as I already love our RW's, Eberle gives us that extra top 6 winger that will put us over the top, imo.

Then we can trade Chiasson/Stone +2nd+Cowen/Wier for a stable top 2-3 defender.

Take what you wish from that deal above for Eberle deal.

I don't think we can afford Eberle though... :(

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah, I don't necessarily want Stewart, but I'd take on Stewart's expiring bad contract in exchange for Greening's 3-years worth of bad in a heartbeat.
That's just good cap management.

That being said, I fully imagine some other team (read: not us, hopefully) offering more than a bad contract and a project-ish defenceman for Stewart, so it seems like a non-issue. Some team who expected to make the playoffs and has come out of the gate slow will make a desperation trade and send Buffalo an actually useful asset for him. Buffalo will do better than Wier/Greening.

Oh I'm sure someone will overpay. He'll be one of those guys heavily rumored all the way up to the deadline and I would imagine that's been TMurrays plan since acquiring him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ugh.

Watching this Ducks-Sabres game. Stuart looks like he's at an afternoon practice.

Our fanbase would turn on him within two periods.

*EDIT*
Stewart gets taken off the Ennis line, and almost immediately the Ennis line scores.

Last edited:

BigBush*

Yea, no to Stewart but if Eberle is available, I'm all over that.

As much as I already love our RW's, Eberle gives us that extra top 6 winger that will put us over the top, imo.

Then we can trade Chiasson/Stone +2nd+Cowen/Wier for a stable top 2-3 defender.

Take what you wish from that deal above for Eberle deal.

I don't think we can afford Eberle though... :(

I don't think Eberle is much of an upgrade over Chiasson or Stone, even without considering the ridiculous difference in cap hits.
But I'm a big fan of two way players with high hockey IQ and physical play then purely skilled guys like Eberle.
if Ottawa felt they needed a top 3 defenseman, they should trade the package you mentioned without trading for Eberle.

Last edited by a moderator:

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I don't think Eberle is much of an upgrade over Chiasson or Stone, even without considering the ridiculous difference in cap hits.
But I'm a big fan of two way players with high hockey IQ and physical play then purely skilled guys like Eberle.
if Ottawa felt they needed a top 3 defenseman, they should trade the package you mentioned without trading for Eberle.

Eberle is a huge upgrade on Chiasson and Stone, but it really doesn't matter since Edmonton will only trade one of their youngsters for a huge overpayment.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

wut.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Eberle would be an addition that would push current players down a line, strengthening the team (and pushing Neil to the 13 spot) and potentially clear the logjam on the Dside (if that was the offer)

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Legwand - Eberle
Smith - Pageau - Michalek
Hoffman - Lazar - Chiasson

Assuming Zibanejad was in the offer

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Eberle would be an addition that would push current players down a line, strengthening the team (and pushing Neil to the 13 spot) and potentially clear the logjam on the Dside (if that was the offer)

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Legwand - Eberle
Smith - Pageau - Michalek
Hoffman - Lazar - Chiasson

Assuming Zibanejad was in the offer

Doesn't make sense. This would deplete our C depth and add to an already glut of RW's. If we make a trade, trade for a top 4 D.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Not my perfect trade, but we are weak on RW I think based on Binghamton depth ( which is basically Robinson). Condra is on the out; Neil is basically one dimensional.

We do have excess at the Centre position (with Smith, Lazar, Pageau, Dzingel, etc) after Turris, Legwand and Zibanejad.

IF Eberle was in play, he'd be a good decision.

The D situation as you indicate needs an infusion. That should be Methot - unless he is shipped out to bring in someone else. UFAs next year are not really a strength beyond the top few, and they'll cost too much.

The Gormley idea; Petry, or something else around a win-win trade will be needed if Methot balks again.

Cowen, Weircoch are pieces that could be moved out to settle the logjam sooner than later. Have to think Wiercioch is being showcased right now.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not my perfect trade, but we are weak on RW I think based on Binghamton depth ( which is basically Robinson). Condra is on the out; Neil is basically one dimensional.

We do have excess at the Centre position (with Smith, Lazar, Pageau, Dzingel, etc) after Turris, Legwand and Zibanejad.

Totally disagree. RW is much deeper than C position in our organization. Condra and Neil are NHL quality wingers still. Plus in the AHL we have Robinson and Prince who has been playing RW.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I just don't see us having the pieces to get Eberle.
That would be a drastic move for the Oilers (probably the right move) but they would be looking for a significant upgrade on team defense.

Weircioch, Cowen, Gryba or Borowieki do not accomplish anything for them - all those guys either make their D more sketchy, or are just not that valuable. Methot is a good piece but a rental and quite frankly we need him too much. Maybe a good defensive forward or two but again we don't really have guys with much value.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why are we talking about expending high-end trade pieces for a winger when those pieces could be better spent making upgrades to our blueline?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think....maybe we're better off not making any moves for now. Wait another month or two and see how the kids progress.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if we need any position in terms of a forward its LW

Ladd
Kane
Yakupov
Perron
Glencross

are all targets that i think we could potentially get, especially since 2 teams need a change ASAP (jets, oilers) and i fully expect calgary to miss the playoffs so they may sell off glencross for rebuilding pieces

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
^ I second this. The log jam we have for forwards is ridiculous, we have several forwards that have been known to interchange on either side. We need an upgrade on defence. Also I'm really not set on our goaltending depth in Bingo right now, Hammond is struggling. I wouldn't have been mad in Murray had picked up Markstrom, that would have been a good pick up for Ottawa depth wise.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
No need for a winger right now. Upgrade on defence, either pushing out Gryba on rd, or pushing everyone on ld down.

^ I second this. The log jam we have for forwards is ridiculous, we have several forwards that have been known to interchange on either side. We need an upgrade on defence. Also I'm really not set on our goaltending depth in Bingo right now, Hammond is struggling. I wouldn't have been mad in Murray had picked up Markstrom, that would have been a good pick up for Ottawa depth wise.

we could use one more offensive forward, especially if we continue to use legwand in the same role which makes smith somewhat expandable

Mac-Turris-Stone
LW-ZBad-Ryan
Michalek/Hoffman-Lazar-Chiasson
Hoffman/Michalek-Legwand-Neil

Trade our extra pieces in a deal (Smith, Greening, Condra, Gryba, Weircioch/Cowen) for a top 6 LW and an upgrade on defence

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
we could use one more offensive forward, especially if we continue to use legwand in the same role which makes smith somewhat expandable

Mac-Turris-Stone
LW-ZBad-Ryan
Michalek/Hoffman-Lazar-Chiasson
Hoffman/Michalek-Legwand-Neil

Trade our extra pieces in a deal (Smith, Greening, Condra, Gryba, Weircioch/Cowen) for a top 6 LW and an upgrade on defence

It comes up all the time but extra pieces do not bring back legit top 6 F or top 4 D. Never happens. Its like trying to sell your garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad