2014-15 Sabres Training Camp

Deleted member 27798

No scrimmage?
I was wondering the same thing. Practice itself is pretty boring if you are there in person. Scrimmage for at least part of practice is the only thing I find interesting.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Looks like there is no room for a Blue/Gold game. The Sabres have games vs other NHL teams on Sunday, Tuesday, Friday and its probably not in the best interest of the players - at least half the roster - to play a game two days in a row.

If the Sabres vs Carolina game next Tuesday was instead scheduled for next Monday, then the players who didn't play on Sunday, would play in that game. Then it would give all players a day of rest from game play and the Sabres could have scheduled a Blue/Gold game for next Wednesday. Then everyone would have a day of rest from game play especially the ones who will be playing next Friday vs Toronto.

Other reasons as to no Blue/Gold Game -

There are already three games scheduled next week at the First Niagara Center - Sabres two pre-season games and the All-American Prospects game - enough hockey for the fans to attend. A fourth night of hockey and another huge crowd - would be too much for the FNC crew etc.

A Blue/Gold game - which probably would have free admission would hurt ticket sales for the other three games. Why attend one of those especially the Sabres ones, when you could see the same players for free?

There will probably be some scrimmage action - say the final 20 minutes or so of practice - towards the end of training camp.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Nolan on WGR this morning. Only caught a few moments. One thing he said was that way too many players came to camp and were not in proper condition. He said they were on the players about nutrition and training all summer.

He also talked about building his staff to meet what the team needs and that with so many young players, (using Risto as an example) he wanted teachers. Said he spoke to 25-30 people to fit the guys that were the right fit.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Moved to Maryland and am debating to catch their opening preseason game Sunday. Maybe a whole Buffalo sports day. Bills at a sports bar at 1 and and then walk over to the arena for Sabres at 5. I wonder what the lineup will look like?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@WGR550 - Hear Sabres coach Ted Nolan for the first time this season on WGR as the Sabres open up camp today!!

Nolan - We're gonna go into camp with an open mind, if Reinhart deserves to be here, he'll be here.
We have to make a cultural change here, and give a lot more than we gave last year.
"Everybody knows who the leaders are on this team, we'll get that a little later" - Nolan on choosing the captains.

@BuffaloSabres - Good morning from @FirstNiagaraCtr. Players and Coach to address the media shortly as #SabresCamp opens.

Gionta - https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/512590870349352960/photo/1
I didn't come here to lose. The goal is the playoffs.
The enthusiasm around the room, the renewed energy, we have to build on that.
A good start to the season will be huge. #SabresCamp

Kaleta - https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/512590870349352960/photo/1
Feeling good. Good to play. I'm excited. We're going to hold each other to a higher level.
Work ethic will be higher. Guys put in a heck of a summer. #SabresCamp

Moulson - https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/512597229123928064/photo/1
It's great to be back. Enjoyed my time here last year and excited for where this team is going.
I think we're going to surprise some teams this year. #SabresCamp

Stafford - https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/512601571251978240/photo/1
We're expecting a lot of improvements this year.
We have a good group of guys, a good mindset. We're going to do our best. #SabresCamp

@SamKorotkin - First media day to kick off @BuffaloSabres training camp.
"It took me 9 years to get my own press conference!" - Drew Stafford

Gorges - https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/512606308433166337/photo/1
It's an exciting time. A fresh start. I'm excited to be part of what's going on here.
I've been shocked how nice and genuine people are here. Not just the organization but the city of Buffalo.
Gorges says he knows Myers well, they live near each other in summer, skate together. If end up paired, would be great. #SabresCamp

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Nolan on WGR this morning. Only caught a few moments. One thing he said was that way too many players came to camp and were not in proper condition. He said they were on the players about nutrition and training all summer.

He also talked about building his staff to meet what the team needs and that with so many young players, (using Risto as an example) he wanted teachers. Said he spoke to 25-30 people to fit the guys that were the right fit.

I'm assuming he said/meant last year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Moved to Maryland and am debating to catch their opening preseason game Sunday. Maybe a whole Buffalo sports day. Bills at a sports bar at 1 and and then walk over to the arena for Sabres at 5. I wonder what the lineup will look like?

That sounds like an awesome day

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloSabres -

Nolan - https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/512611593692401664/photo/1
Really excited to get going, almost to the point couldn't sleep last night.
Nolan on captaincy - We'll talk to the guys first and we hope to carry out that process sooner rather than later.
There will be competition for roster spots at this camp. We want guys who compete.
Nolan on goaltending - (Enroth and Neuvirth) both want to be No. 1. It's going to be a healthy competition.

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington -
Ted Nolan w/caution on draft - "Prospects are great. Then some of them turn into suspects. Then some of them turn into rejects."
Nolan said a captain will be named sooner rather than later.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Listening to Nolan this AM on 550, it sounded to me like he has someone in mind for captain that was already part of the dressing room. Would Molson be out of character?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Except he wasn't here for camp last year, Rolston was. :dunno:

He extrapolated that they came to camp out of shape from observing that their conditioning level was suboptimal when he took over. There's no question he was talking about last season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Except he wasn't here for camp last year, Rolston was. :dunno:

When Nolan came in last year thats what he talked about a lot. That players were in terrible shape. Nolan spent much of his first weeks working a lot on conditioning in practice. The obvious extension of them being out of shape when he got here was they came into camp last year out of shape.

Plus the quote from this morning goes on to talk about how they fixed that this summer by being on the players about there nutrition and training. Not to mention the testing for this year hadn't started yet when he did the radio interview this morning.

I think its fairly obvious he wasn't talking about this year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl -

Brian Gionta
says captaincy would be "an honor" if he gets it but adds he's already seen other leaders in room.

Patrick Kaleta (ACL) is cleared for all activities. "Next goal is to fight for that roster spot."
Kaleta says he'll play with same intensity but can't make illegal hits and needs to "settle down and make the right play"

"I'm not going to apologize if we're winning games." - Drew Stafford about Sabres' fans already looking toward 2015 NHL Draft.

Josh Gorges on joining rebuilding Sabres: "It's an opportunity and a challenge. I like the challenge."
Gorges skates with Tyler Myers during summer and says they would complement each other well if they're made a Sabres defense pair.

Sabres coach Ted Nolan says "a couple" guys deserve to be considered for captain, and he'll name one early in camp.
Nolan says most exciting part of this season is he'll have chance to pick roster, not inherit it. Can get his type of player.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
When Nolan came in last year thats what he talked about a lot. That players were in terrible shape. Nolan spent much of his first weeks working a lot on conditioning in practice. The obvious extension of them being out of shape when he got here was they came into camp last year out of shape.

No, I get that the players left on the roster were out of shape, but I don't know how he knows what kind of condition the other 35 players that were sent back to juniors, college, etc. were in. Maybe since they haven't been in the NHL yet they were taking the offseason more seriously? It's not like this matters, but all I'm saying is the 23 guys left on the roster might not be representative of all 60 guys that were in camp. But maybe he's only speaking about the roster players anyway.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Listening to Nolan this AM on 550, it sounded to me like he has someone in mind for captain that was already part of the dressing room. Would Molson be out of character?

I'd think that Moulson is probably a leading candidate to get a letter of some sort.

If I had to guess, I'd say

C -- Gionta
A -- Gorges
A -- Moulson

I don't think you could really go wrong naming any of the three captain though.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd think that Moulson is probably a leading candidate to get a letter of some sort.

If I had to guess, I'd say

C -- Gionta
A -- Gorges
A -- Moulson

I don't think you could really go wrong naming any of the three captain though.

i think Stafford is a lock for a letter.

I also think the group above, most likely 1 of those 3 get the C... but then the other 2 become leaders without lettes.

C - Gorges (or Gionta, or Moulson)
A - Stafford (or someone else with some time with the franchise...)
A - (Someone from that young NHL group that Murray refers to - Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Foligno)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Mike Harrington @BNHarrington -
Ted Nolan w/caution on draft - "Prospects are great. Then some of them turn into suspects. Then some of them turn into rejects"

Something tells me Nolan didn't come up with that aphorism on his own :laugh:

Nolan on Howard Simon: Web | MP3

- Phil Jackson is one of his favorite coaches in any sport, just read his new book wherein open-mindedness is preached, he'll have an open mind towards the young players in camp
- Said "last year we had something like 22% of the players didn't come into camp in good shape". That settles the earlier convo, obviously this data was given to him and discussed.
- As said earlier, they kept in contact with players about their physical training and diets

[long section of sports cliches]

- Sounds like the veterans will all see limited action in the preseason (2-3 games). Some guys who have little chance of making the team may still be given a taste before being sent back to juniors/NCAA. Will mix it up so guys trying to make the team will get good opportunities with linemates/roles. Nothing out of the ordinary there obviously.
- As mentioned earlier, interviewed 20-30 coaching candidates, chose guys specifically for the team they have: teachers for a young team
- "When I mentioned [Trottier's] name to Cody Hodgson he was all excited, Tyler Ennis, he was all excited"
- Was clearly impressed by Irbe's work with Team Latvia's goalies
- Coolen and Flynn cut from the same mold
- Coolen "has two masters degrees, one in coaching philosophies"
- Flynn's "one of the more technically sound guys in the business"

Last edited:

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
I want to see whoever gets the C to stay with the team for a couple of years instead of trading them at the deadline.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Isn't it great to have a surplus of leaders on this team? Gionta/ Moulson/ Gorges/ Stafford could all wear a 'C', imo. This situation is a far cry from the 07-08 season.

It's awesome to see some competition as well. That will bring the best out of these guys.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Sabres 2014 Training Camp Schedule -

Friday, September 19 - Session One - 11:00 am ET-11:45 am ET.
Session Two - 1:15 pm ET-2:00 pm ET.
Session Three - 3:30 pm ET-4:15 pm ET.

Saturday, September 20 - Session One - 10:00 am ET-11:15 am ET.
Session Two - 11:30 am ET-12:45 pm ET.
Session Three - 1:00 pm ET-2:15 pm ET.

Buffalo Sabres have a made a couple of changes to Fridays practice schedule.
Each session has been moved up at least 60 minutes and each session will be a longer practice.
90 minutes long instead of 45 minutes long. There are no changes to Saturdays schedule.

Friday, September 19 - Session One - 10:00 am ET - 11:30 am ET.
Session Two - 12:00 pm ET - 1:30 pm ET.
Session Three - 2:00 pm ET - 3:30 pm ET.

Saturday, September 20 - Session One - 10:00 am ET-11:15 am ET.
Session Two - 11:30 am ET-12:45 pm ET.
Session Three - 1:00 pm ET-2:15 pm ET.

https://twitter.com/BNHarrington/status/512628851059720192/photo/1

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Sundays pre-season game at Washington is scheduled to be shown - LIVE at 5:00 pm ET - on the NHL Network here in the United States.
It will be replayed late Sunday evening - 11:30 pm ET.

Sabres have announced that Sundays pre-season opener at the Washington Capitals will be on ESPN Radio 1520 AM.

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington - #Sabres preseason opener Sunday in Washington is LIVE on @NHLNetwork.
On the radio, it's @ESPN1520 due to #Bills. All others on @WGR550.

NHL Network @NHLNetwork - #IsItOctoberYet? No! But preseason begins Sunday when @BuffaloSabres take on @washcaps at 5:00 pm ET!

LaxSabre - NHL Network will be televising 21 other pre-season games including the Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs game on
Sunday, September 28 - 7:00 pm ET. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=730899

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Tim Murray hates publicity events

10665736_10152635897487954_908975643782738762_n.jpg

Oh wait they almost caught him smirking

10610892_10152635897472954_1219789941732389697_n.jpg

I thought you said that was the last one

1604465_10152635897507954_3937851888349559664_n.jpg

10383668_10152635897482954_8522997536863555565_n.jpg

10689614_10152635897607954_3529422328812022260_n.jpg

10299558_10152635897642954_6257979073273714728_n.jpg

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
i think Stafford is a lock for a letter.

I also think the group above, most likely 1 of those 3 get the C... but then the other 2 become leaders without lettes.

C - Gorges (or Gionta, or Moulson)
A - Stafford (or someone else with some time with the franchise...)
A - (Someone from that young NHL group that Murray refers to - Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Foligno)

Girgs seems like a lock for the "young A".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad