2014-15 Sabres Training Camp

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
@BuffaloSabres now
NEWS: #Sabres training camp opens Thurs., 9/18 (testing/physicals), 1st practice session Fri., 9/19. Details soon on http://Sabres.com .

The Roster was just released and there are a few number changes

http://sabresmedia.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-15-training-camp-roster1.pdf

Gorges -#4
Benoit - #61
Zadorov - #51
Carrier - #48

--------------
All sessions at @FirstNiagaraCtr free & open to public

Thursday, Sept. 18
Players report for testing and physicals. **Closed to public.**

Friday, Sept. 19
Session one: 11-11:45 a.m.
Session two: 1:15-2 p.m.
Session three: 3:30-4:15 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 20
Session one: 10-11:15 a.m.
Session two: 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Session three: 1-2:15 p.m.

Sunday, Sept. 21
Pre-game skate (in Buffalo): 9:15-10 a.m.
Practice session (non-game group): 10:15-11:30 a.m.
Buffalo at Washington: 5 p.m., Verizon Center

Monday, Sept. 22
Session two: 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 23
Practice session (non-game group): 9-10:15 a.m.
Pre-game skate: 10:30-11:15 a.m.
Carolina at Buffalo: 7 p.m., First Niagara Center

Wednesday, Sept. 24
Session two: 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.

Thursday, Sept. 25
Off day

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl -
Sabres' training camp will open September 19 with three on-ice sessions for public. No notable invites on roster list.
Sabres will report to Buffalo next Thursday for training camp. All practices open to public beginning September 19.

John Vogl - Buffalo News - September 11.

The Sabres released their schedule and roster for the opening week of training camp this afternoon, and Ted Nolan and his new coaching staff will have 60 players to evaluate. The players will report to Buffalo for physicals next Thursday and take the ice for the first time the following day. Every practice session will be open to the public.

Buffalo Sabres 2014 Training Camp Schedule -

Friday, September 19 - Session One - 11:00 am ET-11:45 am ET. Session Two - 1:15 pm ET-2:00 pm ET.
Session Three - 3:30 pm ET-4:15 pm ET.

Saturday, September 20 - Session One - 10:00 am ET-11:15 am ET. Session Two - 11:30 am ET-12:45 pm ET.
Session Three - 1:00 pm ET-2:15 pm ET.

Sunday, September 21 - Pre-Game Skate - in Buffalo - 9:15 am-10:00 am ET.
Practice Session - Non-Game Group - 10:15 am ET-11:30 am ET. Buffalo at Washington - 5:00 pm ET.

Monday, September 22 - Session One - 10:00 am ET-11:15 am ET. Session Two - 11:30 am ET-12:45 pm ET.

Tuesday, September 23 - Practice Session-Non-Game Group - 9:00 am ET-10:15 am ET.
Pre-Game Skate - 10:30 am ET-11:15 am ET. Carolina at Buffalo - 7:00 pm ET.

Wednesday, September 24 - Session One - 10:00 am ET-11:15 am ET. Session Two - 11:30 am ET-12:45 pm ET.

Thursday, September 25 - Off-Day.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
1. Will Sam Reinhart make the team? Yes
2. Who will be the captain? Gionta
3. Who will be the No. 1 goaltender? Neuvirth
4. How quickly will the coaching staff mesh? It won't take too long.
5. Can Patrick Kaleta return from injury and exile? Yes

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
1. Will Sam Reinhart make the team?
of course he will

2. Who will be the captain?
I think Gionta was specifically brought in for this role until Reinhart or Girgensons is ready

3. Who will be the No. 1 goaltender?
They'll have a 1a and 1b. I don't think either guy differentiates himself enough to completely earn the coaching staff's trust.

4. How quickly will the coaching staff mesh?
When the goal is to win games.

5. Can Patrick Kaleta return from injury and exile?
Number6DontCare400w_large.jpg

he's a good 4th liner and everything... but I'm not gonna be cool with him scrambling people's brains because he's from Angola.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Murray and Devine quotes in this Morreale article from Traverse City:
"I think you look at three prospects on the back end [Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe] and there's a great competition," Murray said. "Sam [Reinhart] thinks that if he has a good camp he can play on our team and he should think that way. It'll be up to us to make those decisions and make the right decisions for everybody involved. But we certainly don't want to draft players that think they can't make our team."

"Sam is a talented player, but we're in a position now that we're not going to rush anybody," Devine said. "Our team has improved, but as far as us being Stanley Cup contenders, it might take a little while. Sam has all the tools, but the question will be is he physically strong enough to play against NHL players. That's the question mark for me, and I hope he makes it easy for us and plays so well that he leaves no doubt."

"A lot will have to do with his training camp when he's playing with and against NHL players in the [preseason] games," Devine said. "We'd love for him to step in and be a real force, but we're not going to rush him."

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Murray and Devine quotes in this Morreale article from Traverse City:

I think Reinhart making this team is a real question. There's probably little doubt he'd be one of the top 9 forwards in the organization. But I don't think that's what they're going to judge him by. I think they're going to judge him by whether or not he's physically mature enough for him to play the same style of game he played in junior and be effective with it. If he doesn't look like he can come up and score in short order, he's probably not going to get a big club ticket in order to struggle with everyone else.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
9/11/14 - Sabres open camp next Thursday with plenty of questions (John Vogl - TBN)

IMO, I'd like to see him get the 9 game try out, then send him back to juniors. There really isn't a strong argument for him to be on the team this year. We know what we have with him, let's let him work on his size/strength for another year, as we all know, it's not about this year, it's about the future.
Gionta.
Who cares but I see the #1a/b thing happening. I think Nev will emerge as the better goalie, if not for anything his size, or Enr lack there of.
No biggie, hopefully ont until the tank is in full swing.
Another who cares. Would be nice to see him do well, and then traded to contender at deadline. Grit for the playoffs.

I'd prefer Risto in Roch, Zads in juniors and Pysyk getting the 1 dman opening.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Reinhart making this team is a real question. There's probably little doubt he'd be one of the top 9 forwards in the organization. But I don't think that's what they're going to judge him by. I think they're going to judge him by whether or not he's physically mature enough for him to play the same style of game he played in junior and be effective with it. If he doesn't look like he can come up and score in short order, he's probably not going to get a big club ticket in order to struggle with everyone else.

Not sure if his ability to produce offense right away will be the deciding factor. But I definitely think his physical ability to handle the pounding he will get will be a big factor. I think the jury is still out on that. So far he's been banged up in our prospects game and in traverse city. Nothing serious at all but it makes me wonder if he needs another year of getting physical stronger before he plays in the NHL.

EDIT: just saw Devine said the same thing.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
9 games

Gionta

won't be one out of camp

immediately, whats to mesh? Nolan: Kompeet foo; Other Coaches; scribble scribble do this... nothing to mesh

I went to high school with the guy, played against him all the way until he got drafted, wasn't a friend but was the kind of guy you talked to on a regular basis... still don't care, its not a hockey thing

on a personal level, he's a Buffalo guy and the teams gonna suck, let him play, for his sake, hes been a good soldier give him the shot at keeping his career going for another couple seasons... somewhere else

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Sundays pre-season game at Washington is scheduled to be shown - LIVE at 5:00 pm ET - on the NHL Network here in the United States.
It will be replayed late Sunday evening - 11:30 pm ET.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not sure if his ability to produce offense right away will be the deciding factor. But I definitely think his physical ability to handle the pounding he will get will be a big factor. I think the jury is still out on that. So far he's been banged up in our prospects game and in traverse city. Nothing serious at all but it makes me wonder if he needs another year of getting physical stronger before he plays in the NHL.

EDIT: just saw Devine said the same thing.

I guess you and I are thinking alike considering I assume if he's physically mature enough to compete with men, he's the kind of prospect where there shouldn't be much reason for him not to actually produce. He already has all the mental tools.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
yes

Gorges

a goalie

6.3 brad browns

yes

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
yes

Gorges

a goalie

6.3 brad browns

yes

I think you're really going out on a limb with your answer to #3. :laugh:

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Probably? Almost certainly gets the nine-game tryout.

No C

they won't have a #1 goalie?

Nolan's worked with all of them before. Maybe it already has?

Maybe to the first, yes to the second (but that's irrelevant if the answer to the first is no)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm gonna go with yes. I'm betting 3rd line to start, with regular minutes on both special teams units.

Gionta.

Whoever's not injured/playing better at the time, which likely amounts to a nearly even split between Enroth and Neuvirth.

Not sure. Entirely new group of guys. Who knows if they'll all get along and form a cohesive group ever, let alone quickly.

Injury, yes. Exile, no. His reputation precedes him, and that, more than his play or nagging injuries, is going to be the thing that chases him out of the NHL.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
yes

Gorges

a goalie

6.3 brad browns

yes

I dont know if 6.3 Brad Browns is fast enough for me. I would much prefer if it happens before 2020.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
1) 50/50, maybe 60/40 - the staff is under no pressure to have him on the roster, so I don't think it's a given.
2) Gionta...who else?
3) I doubt there will be a #1 goalie, probably close to an even split.
4) I don't think we'll be able to tell during a 50 loss season, or that it will matter.
5) I think so, and I think he will prove himself just enough to earn a new contract somewhere else next season.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I hope they scrimmage, so that half of them start building a winning culture...

What if it's a tie? :sarcasm:

As for the questions:

No, Reinhart does not make the team other than a nine game try-out.
Gionta gets the C.
Neuvirth gets more starts.
The coaching staff will be fine.
Yes, Kaleta makes it back and yes, I do care.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
What if it's a tie? :sarcasm:

As for the questions:

No, Reinhart does not make the team other than a nine game try-out.
Gionta gets the C.
Neuvirth gets more starts.
The coaching staff will be fine.
Yes, Kaleta makes it back and yes, I do care.

No love for your home town boy?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
1. Will Sam Reinhart make the team?-Yes
2. Who will be the captain?-Gionta
3. Who will be the No. 1 goaltender?-Neuvirth
4. How quickly will the coaching staff mesh?-Quickly
5. Can Patrick Kaleta return from injury and exile?-Yes and then he will get injured again

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00