Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

We seem to agree often. Just curious what would be your lineup for next year (realistically speaking)

Realistically speaking? I have 2, 1 is much more realistic than the other. My realistic one is:

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal/Vrbata
Kulemin-Malkin-Vrbata/Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis
Gritty 4th liner-Vitale-Megna
Sill-Zolnierczyk

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Stralman
Despres-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Fleury-Zatkoff

Stralman and Kulemin for $3.25 million, Vrbata for $4.25 million, Sutter for $3.5 million, Vitale and Despres for $1 million, Samuelsson, Zolnierczyk and Sill for $600,000 and Megna for $750,000. That leaves around $1.25 million to get a gritty 4th liner.

My unrealistic lineup has the above except no Stralman or Vitale signed, Fleury shipped out, Niemi in, Harrington up and Boyle signed for $2.5 million and Goc for $2.25 million. So the 4th line is Boyle-Goc-Megna and the D pairs are:

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Martin
Harrington-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

We would have a nice chunk of cap space with that as well, around $1.5 million with a full roster.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Realistically speaking? I have 2, 1 is much more realistic than the other. My realistic one is:

Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis
Sill-Zolnierczyk

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Stralman
Despres-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Fleury-Zatkoff

Stralman and Kulemin for $3.25 million, Vrbata for $4.25 million, Sutter for $3.5 million, Vitale and Despres for $1 million, Samuelsson, Zolnierczyk and Sill for $600,000 and Megna for $750,000. That leaves around $1.25 million to get a gritty 4th liner.

My unrealistic lineup has the above except no Stralman or Vitale signed, Fleury shipped out, Niemi in, Harrington up and Boyle signed for $2.5 million and Goc for $2.25 million. So the 4th line is Boyle-Goc-Megna and the D pairs are:

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Martin
Harrington-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

We would have a nice chunk of cap space with that as well, around $1.5 million with a full roster.

Why do you want Vrbata? He hasn't been good outside of Phoenix.

penguins2946*

Why do you want Vrbata? He hasn't been good outside of Phoenix.

He hasn't played outside of Phoenix since 08-09, so I don't see how that's relevant. He also hit 35 goals with Whitney and Vermette as his linemates in 11-12 and has been a 30-30 pace player in the last 3 years.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010

Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis
Sill-Zolnierczyk

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Stralman
Despres-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Fleury-Zatkoff

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Martin
Harrington-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Hmm, yea, I had michalek instead of vrbata but I'd take either (despite vrbata only being good in Phoenix).

Also, people seem to think that letang and Neal will benefit from a better coach and system (I agree) but if letang goes to 2011 mode, and Neal back to Dallas mode, why not see if Scuderi goes back to 2012 and 13 LA mode?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Hey all, been lurking for awhile. Thought id finally register and post.

Someone just said in another post and I agree .. this really is one of the most important off seasons in recent memory. The team doesnt need to be blown up but does need a shake up.

The most important thing is the new coach. After what they had, they definitely need a big change. A coach who will instill a solid effective defensive system, while still letting the big guns off the leash. A coach who isnt afraid to bench / scratch a STAR player for being lazy. A coach who can make real time adjustments instead of just smacking the same peg into the same whole. Who that is? Im not sure.

From there, the 3rd and 4th lines are a mess. IMO, the 4th line needs to be big guys who will hit and grind and muck in the corners. Guys who when they jump off the bench, the other team says "aww crap." I say keep Engelland for $.75mil. Keep Vitale for $.75mil. Sign a "Shawn Thornton" type of guy for under $1.5mil. They'll maybe each get 3-5 goals a year but its not about points. Its about draining the clock when youre up. Hitting the team into submission. Keeping them hemmed in their own zone.

Id let Orpik walk. Id try to move Letang. Sign Niskanen to $5mil. Bring up Despres and Bortuzzo. Martin, Niskanen, Scuds, Maata as a top 4 is pretty solid. Despres and Bortz (along with the host of other prospects) have all come up at different times and handled themselves reasonably well. I think in the right defensive scheme, that top 6 is pretty strong.

I also think that, in the right system with the defense playing strong, Fleury will be fine. Yes, he will still let in a fluffer once in awhile. Yes, he will still have bad games. But I think he is left out to dry A LOT. Besides, he's only got one year left. Let him play it out and keep Zatkoff as the back up... gotta play him for him to get better.

I dont know what it will take to keep Sutter. Im hope $4mil or less but who knows. If he wants $5mil ... Kesler has been endlessly rumored to want to come to Pens land. Sutter + X for Kesler. If there is $5mil to spend on a 3rd line center, Kesler has more to offer than Sutter at this point.

Id definitely try to sign Kulemin and try him with Geno. Its a low risk / potentially high reward scenario.

Sooo much to do.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
He hasn't played outside of Phoenix since 08-09, so I don't see how that's relevant. He also hit 35 goals with Whitney and Vermette as his linemates in 11-12 and has been a 30-30 pace player in the last 3 years.

Maybe there is a reason he hasn't left Phoenix. I remember him going to Tampa Bay after a great year in Phoenix, and he was so bad they sent him back to Phoenix the next year.

30 - 30 pace? He hit 35 goals in 2011, and that's the only time he his 30+ goals.

This year was the only year in his career that he's eclipsed 30 assists.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014
Maybe there is a reason he hasn't left Phoenix. I remember him going to Tampa Bay after a great year in Phoenix, and he was so bad they sent him back to Phoenix the next year.

30 - 30 pace? He hit 35 goals in 2011, and that's the only time he his 30+ goals.

I actually think there were some family problems when he was with Tampa, and he completely left or something. I think they had to trade him. I'm not positive though.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I have to say, I hadn't thought about Michálek before now, but it is an interesting idea. I still think $2M is spendy for a fourth liner, but just for fun I hit CapGeek to see if it could work ... and it does, just barely with a $69M cap, provided we move Scuderi.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Milan Michalek ($4.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Zach Sill ($0.600m) / Leo Komarov ($2.000m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)
Bobby Farnham ($0.605m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,938,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $61,667

Going into full Xbox mode, I moved the rights of Sutter and Niskanen for McGinn's rights and tossed in Duper, then also signed Bolland ...

FORWARDS
Jamie McGinn ($2.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.000m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Zach Sill ($0.700m) / Leo Komarov ($2.000m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,288,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $711,667

Not sure about the defense, but only two of them are true rookies. Depending on where the cap actually is, Dumolin will add about $300k if he's there instead of Harrington.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I actually think there were some family problems when he was with Tampa, and he completely left or something. I think they had to trade him. I'm not positive though.

You are correct. From Wikipedia (not the best source I know):

On July 1, 2008, Vrbata, as a free agent, signed a three-year contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning. After starting the 2008–09 season out of form and citing confidence issues, and the fact that his wife was having difficulty during pregnancy, Vrbata asked, and was granted permission to return home to the Czech Republic on December 8, 2008. On January 2, 2009 he joined hometown team, BK Mladá Boleslav. Vrbata's stint with Boleslav was cut short when he was sent on loan to HC Bílí Tygři Liberec on January 29, 2009.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I have to say, I hadn't thought about Michálek before now, but it is an interesting idea. I still think $2M is spendy for a fourth liner, but just for fun I hit CapGeek to see if it could work ... and it does, just barely with a $69M cap, provided we move Scuderi.

FORWARDS
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Zach Sill ($0.600m) / Leo Komarov ($2.000m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,938,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $61,667

Going into full Xbox mode, I moved the rights of Sutter and Niskanen for McGinn's rights and tossed in Duper, then also signed Bolland ...

FORWARDS
Jamie McGinn ($2.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.000m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Zach Sill ($0.700m) / Leo Komarov ($2.000m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,288,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $711,667

Not sure about the defense, but only two of them are true rookies. Depending on where the cap actually is, Dumolin will add about $300k if he's there instead of Harrington.

This is pretty good, I do have one concern though. Neal on Sid's line is an issue for me. I don't know that he could provide the kind of protection Sid needs. Too many players have taken too many liberties with Sid over the last couple years. He needs a wing that will stand up for him. Now, it is possible that Neal returns to being more of a power forward with a new coach, but I don't know. All I know is that as of now, you have to consider him a sniper, and that is not what Sid needs.

Fire Shero*

I also think that, in the right system with the defense playing strong, Fleury will be fine. Yes, he will still let in a fluffer once in awhile. Yes, he will still have bad games. But I think he is left out to dry A LOT. Besides, he's only got one year left. Let him play it out and keep Zatkoff as the back up... gotta play him for him to get better.

Id definitely try to sign Kulemin and try him with Geno. Its a low risk / potentially high reward scenario.

Sooo much to do.

How is Kulemin low risk? I've heard so many people justify Shero's dozens of horrible forward signings. Kobasew, Comrie, Pesonnen, D'ags, etc. All of those idiots were worthless, but cheap. So many of you defended him because they were low risk. It's commical that none of them ever panned out.

Kulemin will likely command $4 million. He is a third liner. How is this low risk? Because they played well together in the KHL? Give me a break.

And I'm so sick of Marc Andre Fleury. Has an organization ever stood by a guy who is that bad in the playoffs for so long? Sending him to a shrink? This is the god damn NHL. This **** should have been gone years ago.

Do you realize how pathetic it is that he's still here? It is embarrassing. This guy gets treated like he is 10 years old. A normal franchise would have given up on him years ago.

It's mind boggling that he is still here and many are fine with it.

But we are family!

Bring on Brind'Amour, Dineen and Daniels. People around here will justify it.

penguins2946*

As you already posted, it was family problems that made him go back home, and when he came back, Tampa had already filled his vacant spot. It had nothing to do with his play.

Over his last 3 seasons, he has 67 goals and 141 points in 191 games. That's a 29 goal, 61 point pace

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
How is Kulemin low risk? I've heard so many people justify Shero's dozens of horrible forward signings. Kobasew, Comrie, Pesonnen, D'ags, etc. All of those idiots were worthless, but cheap. So many of you defended him because they were low risk. It's commical that none of them ever panned out.

Kulemin will likely command $4 million. He is a third liner. How is this low risk? Because they played well together in the KHL? Give me a break.

And I'm so sick of Marc Andre Fleury. Has an organization ever stood by a guy who is that bad in the playoffs for so long? Sending him to a shrink? This is the god damn NHL. This **** should have been gone years ago.

Do you realize how pathetic it is that he's still here? It is embarrassing. This guy gets treated like he is 10 years old. A normal franchise would have given up on him years ago.

It's mind boggling that he is still here and many are fine with it.

But we are family!

Bring on Brind'Amour, Dineen and Daniels. People around here will justify it.
Sensationalism: the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This is pretty good, I do have one concern though. Neal on Sid's line is an issue for me. I don't know that he could provide the kind of protection Sid needs. Too many players have taken too many liberties with Sid over the last couple years. He needs a wing that will stand up for him. Now, it is possible that Neal returns to being more of a power forward with a new coach, but I don't know. All I know is that as of now, you have to consider him a sniper, and that is not what Sid needs.

I think he'd be fine with Sid. Neal isn't soff. Other teams would also have to respect Neal's shot, so they wouldn't be able to just key in on Crosby and ignore everyone else.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Well, it's not like Ference is a heavyweight or anything, but still ...

No, he isn't. I just think an intimidation factor is missing from Neal's game(which he had in Dallas). I'm interested to see how he responds to the coaching change.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Well, it's not like Ference is a heavyweight or anything, but still ...

if there is a heavy weight out there taking liberties with Sid, I imagine some creative line changes would handle that rather than Neal.

What I mean is besides the "real heavy weights" like Orr, Scott, etc I'm pretty comfortable that Bortuzzo could handle that. I also think Bortuzzo would step in and fight a true heavy weight if need be.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
As you already posted, it was family problems that made him go back home, and when he came back, Tampa had already filled his vacant spot. It had nothing to do with his play.

Over his last 3 seasons, he has 67 goals and 141 points in 191 games. That's a 29 goal, 61 point pace

No matter what his projected pace is, he still has only hit that plateau one time in his career, in 2011.

The question is, would he help Crosby get to his game?

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Roster Size 25

Salary Cap 71,100,000

Salary Cap Payroll $70,469,167

Bonuses $0

Salary Cap Space $630,833

Forwards
Nikolai Kulemin $3,000,000 Evgeni Malkin $9,500,000 James Neal $5,000,000

Chris Kunitz $3,850,000 Sidney Crosby $8,700,000 Milan Michalek $3,000,000

Beau Bennett $900,000 Brandon Sutter $3,500,000 Pascal Dupuis $3,750,000

Jayson Megna $900,000 Marcel Goc $2,500,000 Matt Martin $1,000,000

Brian Gibbons $750,000 Joe Vitale $1,000,000 Matt Kassian $575,000

Defensemen

Kris Letang $7,250,000 Paul Martin $5,000,000

Simon Despres $1,000,000 Olli Maatta $894,167

Robert Bortuzzo $600,000 Philip Samuelsson $750,000

Deryk Engelland
$750,000

Goaltenders
Marc-Andre Fleury
$5,000,000

Jeff Zatkoff
$600,000

Obviously no need for 5 lines and couple players not needed.

Matt Martin and Matt Kassian provide toughness and gritt with a liitle offensive also.

Milan Michalek provides goal scorer and has speed to keep up with Sid.

Deryk Engelland is a forward/defenseman that can provide toughness, gritt, fighting, and veteran experience on d incase one of younger guys needs day off or to be benched.

The team has speed, gritt, and depth needed and gives the pens time to draft some wingers to play with Are centers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
if there is a heavy weight out there taking liberties with Sid, I imagine some creative line changes would handle that rather than Neal.

What I mean is besides the "real heavy weights" like Orr, Scott, etc I'm pretty comfortable that Bortuzzo could handle that. I also think Bortuzzo would step in and fight a true heavy weight if need be.

Yup. The only heavy weight messing with Sid is Chara.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
James Neal during his Plymouth days was a tough SOB. Didn't fight too often, but he handled himself well when he did fight. I remember going to a Toronto St. Michael's Majors game with my dad when I was ten years old. And, James Neal got into a fight with Rob Kweit. Long story short, Neal beat him pretty decisively. Rob Kweit was cut open during that fight.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Yup. The only heavy weight messing with Sid is Chara.

I think the Neal factor is more that if someone is continuously being physical with Sid, Neal has the ability to be physical with one of the other teams top players. Ala Cooke but he can also pot 40 :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad