Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Milan Michalek ($4.400m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.300m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.200m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Jesse Winchester/FA ($0.900m) / Joe Vitale ($0.800m) / Jayson Megna ($0.650m)
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $70,600,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,774,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $825,833

Michalek, Kulemin, and Winchester are all big bodies who can skate and contribute even when not scoring. Michalek is coming off a down year and a slow start, but his career numbers suggest that it was just an off year. Plus that keeps his price down a little. I think with those three upgrading our size, and the kids getting to play (Bennett, Megna, Despres, Bort), its enough roster turnover from the vets last year (Glass, Adams, Orpik, Nisky, Engo, Pyatt, Kobosew, no Dupuis with Sid), without completely blowing it up without seeing if a new coach fixes the problems. You could swap Neal and Kulemin too to try to get Neal to get back to his game when he was in Dallas.

Despres plays with Tanger and Dumo with Bort until Maatta recovers.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------

Far more realistic than most.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------

Michalek, Kulemin, and Winchester are all big bodies who can skate and contribute even when not scoring. Michalek is coming off a down year and a slow start, but his career numbers suggest that it was just an off year. Plus that keeps his price down a little. I think with those three upgrading our size, and the kids getting to play (Bennett, Megna, Despres, Bort), its enough roster turnover from the vets last year (Glass, Adams, Orpik, Nisky, Engo, Pyatt, Kobosew, no Dupuis with Sid), without completely blowing it up without seeing if a new coach fixes the problems. You could swap Neal and Kulemin too to try to get Neal to get back to his game when he was in Dallas.

I like this, but do you really think Michalek is going to be able to command that much? I mean he scores when he's healthy, but honestly when is he healthy. Plus, I have suspicion he might sign with Phoenix.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like this, but do you really think Michalek is going to be able to command that much? I mean he scores when he's healthy, but honestly when is he healthy. Plus, I have suspicion he might sign with Phoenix.

He's no better or worse than Marian Hossa for health and how badly would you take him on?

I would take a chance on Milan Michalek, but only if he's wanting to take a 3.75-4m type of contract for 4yrs or something. Pens need to maneuver under the cap some how.

There is of course, talks that the Sabres are willing to eat bad contracts if it gets them another 1st and they have a bunch of 3rd round picks. As much as I would want Scuderi gone for that cap space, I wouldn't sacrifice the 1st 2yrs in a row.

I don't get this infatuation with Winchester, I just don't. I would rather have Payerl there, he's cheaper and is a solid 4th line type of guy. Jesse is a soft 4th line guy, sure he's a solid pk guy, but he's not a physical player, I think Megna is enough of "that" type of guy on that line, Payerl is a guy I think the team should give more of a shot in camp. I mean he was talked about a lot in camp, then got hurt, same with Sill. It's the 4th line, you need warrior types.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He's no better or worse than Marian Hossa for health and how badly would you take him on?

I would take a chance on Milan Michalek, but only if he's wanting to take a 3.75-4m type of contract for 4yrs or something. Pens need to maneuver under the cap some how.

There is of course, talks that the Sabres are willing to eat bad contracts if it gets them another 1st and they have a bunch of 3rd round picks. As much as I would want Scuderi gone for that cap space, I wouldn't sacrifice the 1st 2yrs in a row.

I would think you could get him at the 3 million range.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would think you could get him at the 3 million range.

He's a season and a half removed from his 35 goal season, while that isn't too long ago or recent enough, it's still something. I don't think you can get a player like that with a low ball offer of 3m. I don't see a legit top 6 player like him, taking less than what Dupuis or Kunitz makes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He's a season and a half removed from his 35 goal season, while that isn't too long ago or recent enough, it's still something. I don't think you can get a player like that with a low ball offer of 3m. I don't see a legit top 6 player like him, taking less than what Dupuis or Kunitz makes.

Yeah, but don't you think this season kind of showed where his career is projecting?

I would take a one season flyer on him, but I would hope he wouldn't get over 3.5 mil.

CrankyBaker

Jul 11, 2007
Perth
FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------

Really do like this team and if Milan came on board I would be a very happy man (1st to buy that jersey). He is injury prone but that would mean Beau Beau can come up here and there for that. I really think Depuis can go and Resign Jussi and sign Mason raymond who can again pop up during injuries or re sign Jussi if he doesn't ask for much

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
As the real problems lie in the bottom6 rather than scoring lines:

Leo Komarov has not signed with Leafs at least yet. He is a player that every NHL team wants and Pens definately should at least try to sign him.

Komarov has been a fan favorite everywhere he has played. He brings physicality, agitating, decent skills and character. Just much more than your typical fourth liner. He could also very well be a part-time winger for Geno or Sid, he will drive opposite player nuts thats for sure and fights if needed.

Price tag could be something around 2-2,5million.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7617

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria

Leo Komarov has not signed with Leafs at least yet. He is a player that every NHL team wants and Pens definately should at least try to sign him.

Komarov has been a fan favorite everywhere he has played. He brings physicality, agitating, decent skills and character. Just much more than your typical fourth liner. He could also very well be a part-time winger for Geno or Sid, he will drive opposite player nuts thats for sure and fights if needed.

I agree, this guy would look really good in our bottom 6. He can skate, he is physical, has hockey sense. He would be a huge upgrade over what we had there this past season.

I don´t know how realistic it is, but I really would love Dupuis on the 3rd line. After that injury he could lose a step, no question, but I think he still will be a good skater and he as well would be an upgrade in the bottom 6.

Problem is, will somebody be able to find someone to play with Sid if Dupuis goes to the 3rd line?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Not really. He's not going to get a significantly better return than Carter. Palmieri/Etem/Silfverberg and the #10 pick is likely what we're looking at.
Carter got them Voracek + Couturier (8th overall pick in a strong draft). Voracek was already a young legit TOP6 player when that deal got done. He was more valuable than Palmieri/Etem/Silfverberg are now (nothing against these Ducks kids). Draft pick was also more valuable that time. If we are comparing Neal with Carter (which is fair, IMO) then we should be looking to more than just Etem+10th overall. Actually, quite a much more than that.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site

I sincerely doubt Michalek could be had for less than $4mm and multiple years. Look what the injury prone Clowe got after not scoring a goal for 2/3 of the year. The free agent market is weak, and Michalek is about the only good/young winger available. My guess is he goes back to San Jose, especially since they're moving Burns back to defense.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Well, Michalek just had an AWFUL AWFUL season. I mean, he stayed healthy but other than that it couldn´t be any worse for him. He couldn´t crack Czech olympic lineup over some European-league plugs, that´s how bad he was. He is hitting declining territory probably and his defense was one of the worst in the league. I mean, minus-25 while playing with good players is terribad. His production also dropped significantly. There would be a HUGE risk in paying a guy like this. No thanks. And I don´t like these Czech players at all (other than Hemsky).

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
The Pens are going to keep Neal, as they well should. A Kulemin-Malkin-Neal line could absolutely wreck havoc come the playoffs.
Yeah (assuming that Neal finally starts to care in the POs), but who are the wingers for Sid then? Kunitz shouldn´t be the key winger on his line, I mean he´s a borderline third wheel right now.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah (assuming that Neal finally starts to care in the POs), but who are the wingers for Sid then? Kunitz shouldn´t be the key winger on his line, I mean he´s a borderline third wheel right now.

That will probably end up being the most important move this summer. Is it a ufa like Hemsky, a trade for with picks and prospects or someone like Stewart, or is it a blockbuster involving our big pieces?

I think we'll get 1 ufa top six then trade picks/prospects for another. I don't really see the big deal with a Neal, Letang , or Fleury going down like a lot of people here think.

One encouraging point is that it is something RS clearly failed at and was a point of emphasis for JR. He can't take over and let the same thing happen after it was part of his plan when he got hired here. We won't be starting the playoffs with the likes of a Brian Gibbons on Sids wing.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Well, Michalek just had an AWFUL AWFUL season. I mean, he stayed healthy but other than that it couldn´t be any worse for him. He couldn´t crack Czech olympic lineup over some European-league plugs, that´s how bad he was. He is hitting declining territory probably and his defense was one of the worst in the league. I mean, minus-25 while playing with good players is terribad. His production also dropped significantly. There would be a HUGE risk in paying a guy like this. No thanks. And I don´t like these Czech players at all (other than Hemsky).

Agree to disagree here, I like Michalek's game. Yea he had a down year (so did Ottawa), but he's 6'2 215 who scored 35 goals a season and a half ago and throughout his career has scored in the 22-27 range and had never been called a defensive liability, he also has grit his game and goes hard to the net (just watch his highlights) plus he was great with spezza and alfie so he knows how to play with skill. I just like him I guess.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

That's kind of spendy for a fourth liner

Agree to disagree here, I like Michalek's game. Yea he had a down year (so did Ottawa), but he's 6'3 225 who scored 35 goals a season and a half ago and throughout his career has scored in the 22-27 range and had never been called a defensive liability, he also has grit his game and goes hard to the net (just watch his highlights) plus he was great with spezza and alfie so he knows how to play with skill. I just like him I guess.

I like Michálek's game, too. But what are the odds that he'll actually test the market?
Didn't Murray say he's the only UFA he's interested in bringing back?

penguins2946*

I would sign Michalek to play LW with Geno and Kulemin to play RW. I've always wanted to see a Kunitz-Crosby-Neal line for more than a game here and there. Didn't Neal have a 5 point game with Crosby and Kunitz last year in one of the only games he played with Sid and Kunitz? I don't think Michalek would cost that much though, he had an extremely bad season last year. I'd sign him, Vrbata or Moulson for that line. Maybe Jokinen as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Most importantly he's an elite PK guy. He would be worth that price IMHO.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
That's kind of spendy for a fourth liner

I like Michálek's game, too. But what are the odds that he'll actually test the market?
Didn't Murray say he's the only UFA he's interested in bringing back?

He should fire his agent to not test this market, he's 29 and a top six big wing (6'2, 215, I was off in my other post)... also something to think about with Michalek, he had 10 goals in his last 28 games, but only a brutal 7 in his first 54, leading to his Olympic snub and poor end season totals. I think 4.4 would actually be pretty cheap for him, but I wouldn't go over that by much.want him tho.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I would sign Michalek to play LW with Geno and Kulemin to play RW. I've always wanted to see a Kunitz-Crosby-Neal line for more than a game here and there. Didn't Neal have a 5 point game with Crosby and Kunitz last year in one of the only games he played with Sid and Kunitz? I don't think Michalek would cost that much though, he had an extremely bad season last year. I'd sign him, Vrbata or Moulson for that line. Maybe Jokinen as well.

Good point, getting kulemin and one of these others (no jokinen imo) for around 4.5 I think is the best way to add size and skill to our top six and trickle down the line up.

Would people rather have Hemsky for 5 or michalek for 4.0-4.5?

penguins2946*

Good point, getting kulemin and one of these others (no jokinen imo) for around 4.5 I think is the best way to add size and skill to our top six and trickle down the line up.

Would people rather have Hemsky for 5 or michalek for 4.0-4.5?

I agree with the 1st part. On the 2nd, Michalek. I'd want a scorer for our wing before a playmaker.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Most importantly he's an elite PK guy. He would be worth that price IMHO.

I'm down to overpay a little to address the bottom six. Guys that might be 4th liners with their regular season production but will be gamers in the playoffs.

If we deal Sutter, Id like us to target Moore as well. The guy's burned us enough for me to know he's worth the price tag when the games matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad