Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread IV | All UFA/trade talk, speculation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
http://triblive.com/mobile/7000291-96/fleury-crosby-penguins

Fleury is extremely lucky he's best friends with Sid, and this narrative that he's an elite goalie flies in this town.

Whatever. I guess the quote by JR saying Fleury will be here as long as he's here could be interpreted as if we struggle again in the playoffs, neither will be back.

You made me click on a Rossi article MP. C'mon man...

"As long as I'm the general manager, Marc-Andre Fleury will be our goalie.”

I've been warning people and they don't want to hear it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

"As long as I'm the general manager, Marc-Andre Fleury will be our goalie.”

I don't hate Fleury so it doesn't really bother me. But I also don't have to buy into Fleury being elite and this being anything more than a guy who's best friends with the best player in hockey and the Flower blooming in the burgh n'at.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't hate Fleury so it doesn't really bother me. But I also don't have to buy into Fleury being elite and this being anything more than a guy who's best friends with the best player in hockey and the Flower blooming in the burgh n'at.

I don't care either way. It's too exhausting to hate a guy that isn't going anywhere. So I figure I might as well pull for him.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

Fleury is extremely lucky he's best friends with Sid, and this narrative that he's an elite goalie flies in this town.

Whatever. I guess the quote by JR saying Fleury will be here as long as he's here could be interpreted as if we struggle again in the playoffs, neither will be back.

What a disheartening article. I can see GMJR being artful to not torpedo MAF's trade value, but not Sid.

Someone was saying he was somewhere between 12 and 20. I think he's lower. I sorted the 30 goalies with the most minutes played over the last 3 and 5 year periods by even strength save percentage and he ranks 22nd and 25th respectively.

His playoff save percentages are: 0.880, 0.933, 0.908, 0.891, 0.899, 0.834, 0.883, 0.915.

Oh well, let's get a top six wing for Geno and beat teams 6-5.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Is there a particular reason why you guys like Semin so much?

-Big caphit
-Doesn't like Crosby, whines a lot, has a poor personality
-Known playoff choker
-Probably the best shot in the league and very good defensively, yet prone to floating and giving up on plays if he doesn't feel like it.
-Doesn't work hard enough

I'm not hating on the guy but the amount of assets it would take to get him and his contract just isn't worth it. He's not a guy I would rely on in the playoffs and especially not under pressure.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Is there a particular reason why you guys like Semin so much?

-Big caphit
-Doesn't like Crosby, whines a lot, has a poor personality
-Known playoff choker
-Probably the best shot in the league and very good defensively, yet prone to floating and giving up on plays if he doesn't feel like it.
-Doesn't work hard enough

I'm not hating on the guy but the amount of assets it would take to get him and his contract just isn't worth it. He's not a guy I would rely on in the playoffs and especially not under pressure.
Yeah, and added to this, he still hasn´t scored since his wrist surgery. He has some great tools but I feel like we would risk waay too much by acquiring him and his contract. Give me some hard-workers and character guys. Too bad we can´t clone Hornqvist.

penguins2946*

Yeah, and added to this, he still hasn´t scored since his wrist surgery. He has some great tools but I feel like we would risk waay too much by acquiring him and his contract. Give me some hard-workers and character guys. Too bad we can´t clone Hornqvist.

Ladd is a great option if he were available. Too bad he probably wouldn't be available.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't disagree with the part in bold, so what's this ''not even close'' nonsense?

Well, either we'd have a top six wing via free agency OR STILL have the money to maneuver via a trade in getting one. Either scenario is better than the current one.
Not even close! IF we'd gotten a top 6 wing, then that might have been preferable to what we have now. But signing Ehrhoff and not getting a wing would have made this a worse team, and not have given us the defensive depth to trade Martin for a forward (or assets or whatever).

You said we'd be better off without Ehrhoff and to have his 4m in cap space. Go back and read what you wrote and what you responded to.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As for Vrbata, he signed july 2hd. So yeah, he didn't sign the day of.

Not at the expense of getting a winger, no way, notta, hell no!

TSN says July 1st, NHL says July 2nd in one article and the 3rd in his bio.

Except there wasn't any wingers in that price range! It wasn't a matter of us getting someone like Williams or Vanek or Ehrhoff. It was JJ or Kulemin or Ehrhoff. And in that situation the Ehrhoff signing was a better signing - hands down. Does that still leave us with a hole up front? Absolutely. But JJ/Kulie while decent fits, were very much overpaid. At least now we have the defensive depth to really move someone (aka Martin/Scuds) and not miss a beat.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the Pens re-sign Fleury, I will cry.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him signed to a 2-4 yr deal around the same money as now. Not because he's all that great (he's average), but because there's very few options next summer. We saw the issues Philly has had over the last 10+ years looking for a goalie. I'd rather have MAF than go through that crap. Best case we also find someone else, and then trade MAF (Edmonton? :D)

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
TSN says July 1st, NHL says July 2nd in one article and the 3rd in his bio.

Except there wasn't any wingers in that price range! It wasn't a matter of us getting someone like Williams or Vanek or Ehrhoff. It was JJ or Kulemin or Ehrhoff. And in that situation the Ehrhoff signing was a better signing - hands down. Does that still leave us with a hole up front? Absolutely. But JJ/Kulie while decent fits, were very much overpaid. At least now we have the defensive depth to really move someone (aka Martin/Scuds) and not miss a beat.

It is still a little bit shocking to me that any of us have to defend the Erhoff signing to hockey fans as well informed as HFBoards posters. The contract is such a steal that, irregardless of team depth, every GM in the NHL would line up to sign it. I get that we are short top 6 forwards, I get that we have some of the best depth on d in the league. But Erhoff's deal is a tremendous bargain and any GM worth a damn would sign him at that price and figure out the rest later. Which, for the less patient of us, is something to consider, i.e. we aren't done making moves to round out the roster.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Of course you do. :shakehead:sarcasm:

As for a winger.

Martin and a 5th for Killorn and a 3rd.

Then I'd be phoning Buffalo about Stafford. Everyone and their dog will be after Stewart - who despite his flaws, is still a very attractive player. I doubt many people would be asking about Stafford at this point in time, and with two poor seasons under his belt, the price to acquire him should be fairly reasonable. Likely something around a 2nd or a 3rd and a prospect. I really think he could be an under the radar pickup for us that could do well. Kind of like MacArthur would have been. Not a great name/player.. but someone who's not a big name guy who could help.

Spend another pick/prospect at the deadline on a 3rd pairing vet as insurance against our youth.

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Killorn - Malkin - Stafford
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett
Comeau - Goc - Downie
Spalling

Ehrhoff - Letang
Maatta - Despres
XXX - Bortuzzo
Scuderi

X = any one of Dumoulin, Harrington, Pouliot, etc.

Would give us a solid top 6 with BB, Sutter and Dupuis anchoring the 3rd line, which should in theory be able to play a more offensive role. Not sure who'd I'd sit out of Downie, Spaling or Comeau... but if we are healthy and acquire 2 forwards, someone needs to sit. Or trade one of Spaling/Comeau as part of the Stafford deal. IDK.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

"As long as I'm the general manager, Marc-Andre Fleury will be our goalie.â€

I'm not mad or happy about it, I'm...ok with it as long as the team has a damn good back-up and well, they still look for a better goaltending coach, because Bales isn't it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It is still a little bit shocking to me that any of us have to defend the Erhoff signing to hockey fans as well informed as HFBoards posters. The contract is such a steal that, irregardless of team depth, every GM in the NHL would line up to sign it. I get that we are short top 6 forwards, I get that we have some of the best depth on d in the league. But Erhoff's deal is a tremendous bargain and any GM worth a damn would sign him at that price and figure out the rest later. Which, for the less patient of us, is something to consider, i.e. we aren't done making moves to round out the roster.

There really wasn't anything good forwards wise in the FA pool this past summer, I mean did the Pens want to sign Cammalleri? He's one dimensional, there really wasn't a lot to go after.

Changes are going to come, some good ones have already been made, I don't mind waiting it out until the deadline to see how Rutherford addresses issues in his 1st year, it's also a new coach and a new system, people need to be patient. There's a lot of things in play here that need time and yeah, Sid is 27 and Geno is blah blah...the situation is what it is.

Definitely. He´s exactly a type of player we would love here. Some heart/skill combination. I would even overpay a bit for him. Not for Semin, though.

Well, the Jets are so desperate for offense that they, much to Byfuglien's dismay, moved Byfuglien to forward because they NEED offense, bad. Ladd is going to be one of those guys where you'd have to take an extra step beyond "overpayment" just to make the GM think about it. That's not just a heart and soul player, that's also their captain and one of their offensive threats on a team that is insanely weak there and probably are hanging on to Kane longer than they should because they're afraid they might be giving up on a gold mine and aren't sure the returns are worth it.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

"As long as I'm the general manager, Marc-Andre Fleury will be our goalie.â€

Fleury is the soul of the Pens?? WTF

Guess we won't be seeing any cups for the rest of Sid and Geno's tenure.

A very STUPID choice and a waste of two of this generations greatest players prime yrs.

But hey! Sid and his buddy will always be together...a ****ing love story for Hollywood.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Of course Rutherford supports Fleury. His play is as predictable as a meth head on the jones. We all know not much is needed to completely destroy Fleury's confidence and I suppose JR still wants to have a successful play-offs campaign. If he really stood behind his words he would have already resigned Fleury, the simple fact that he hasn't is proof enough, in my opinion, that Fleury's future is decided by his play-offs performance.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

That's like the antithesis of what Fleury really is, especially in the playoffs. Sid' just being a good teammate.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The Jets fans on the trade forum seem open to two deals for Ladd, one being Pouliot+2nd, the other being Harrington+1st+Sutter(though some want Bennett over Sutter) for Ladd+3rd. We would be a Cup favourite with a top 6 of:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Ladd-Malkin-Bennett

I think Ladd could become available sooner rather than later this year, if the Jets continue their current pace.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The Jets fans on the trade forum seem open to two deals for Ladd, one being Pouliot+2nd, the other being Harrington+1st+Sutter(though some want Bennett over Sutter) for Ladd+3rd. We would be a Cup favourite with a top 6 of:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Ladd-Malkin-Bennett

I think Ladd could become available sooner rather than later this year, if the Jets continue their current pace.

I'd consider Pouliot+2nd for Ladd. Absolutely no way I do Harrington+1st, let alone Harrington+1st+<roster player>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad