Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - ECSF: Montreal Canadiens vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You know who I'm glad we don't have to face (and I laughed about it before the series...)

Abdelkader. If Montreal had a guy like him that is hard on the forecheck, a net presence, and blows up someone at least once a game, I'd be a lot more worried about playing them. I mean, they have DSP and Prust and maybe Eller, but Abdelkader was way more of a pain to play against.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
You know who I'm glad we don't have to face (and I laughed about it before the series...)

Abdelkader. If Montreal had a guy like him that is hard on the forecheck, a net presence, and blows up someone at least once a game, I'd be a lot more worried about playing them. I mean, they have DSP and Prust and maybe Eller, but Abdelkader was way more of a pain to play against.

Abdelkader, as dirty as he is sometimes, is actually a good hockey player. The guys you mentioned for Montreal, aren't. That's the difference.

I said it on main boards. Detroit is a much better overall team than Montreal. If we can beat Price, we should be just fine.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Abdelkader, as dirty as he is sometimes, is actually a good hockey player. The guys you mentioned for Montreal, aren't. That's the difference.

I said it on main boards. Detroit is a much better overall team than Montreal. If we can beat Price, we should be just fine.

We have very good numbers against Price and we don't even need to get close to those numbers and can still beat him if Bishop can still keep dealing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's not fair to count on that for a whole series though. We have to have at least 2 games where the PP or Stammer step up.

I think we might have stolen the game we needed to steal. We will very likely come out flat again in Game 2, but if we're going back to TB tied at 1-1, with finally an extra day's rest, we'll still be in good shape. (Even better shape if we're up 2-0, obviously.)

We weren't supposed to win that last game with the situation we were in. Bad goal aside, it was mostly Bishop that pulled that one out.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we might have stolen the game we needed to steal. We will very likely come out flat again in Game 2, but if we're going back to TB tied at 1-1, with finally an extra day's rest, we'll still be in good shape. (Even better shape if we're up 2-0, obviously.)

We weren't supposed to win that last game with the situation we were in. Bad goal aside, it was mostly Bishop that pulled that one out.

Thought we got better as the game went on. Imo. Would love to go back to Tampa up 2-0 obviously but with a non pressure game tomorrow don't think they will be too dominating.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thought we got better as the game went on. Imo. Would love to go back to Tampa up 2-0 obviously but with a non pressure game tomorrow don't think they will be too dominating.

There's no doubt there will be some fatigue too. This has been a pretty insane stretch. If we'd lost that game last night, after going all the way to a 5th period, we'd be in a lot of trouble. We were tired going IN to that one. I would expect Montreal to have a lot more energy than we do tomorrow, so hopefully we cash in on whatever chances we get.

It also doesn't help that Tyler Johnson probably won't be at 100%. That could hurt a lot.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

I don't entirely agree with that "non pressure" bit. Home ice is easily won and lost this time of year. Tampa won a game at the Bell Centre? There's every probability they will need to win another at some point in order to win this series. Montreal winning in Tampa isn't some impossible proposition.

Need to come out tomorrow and keep building on what was an increasingly-strong performance as the game went along. 1-1 out of Montreal is already a success, but its a fleeting one. 2-0 out of Montreal? Now we're talking. This is an identical situation to what Tampa Bay was faced with in the 2011 second round against the Caps, and they squeezed out an OT win in Game 2. Hope for a similar result here.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't entirely agree with that "non pressure" bit. Home ice is easily won and lost this time of year. Tampa won a game at the Bell Centre? There's every probability they will need to win another at some point in order to win this series. Montreal winning in Tampa isn't some impossible proposition.

Need to come out tomorrow and keep building on what was an increasingly-strong performance as the game went along. 1-1 out of Montreal is already a success, but its a fleeting one. 2-0 out of Montreal? Now we're talking. This is an identical situation to what Tampa Bay was faced with in the 2011 second round against the Caps, and they squeezed out an OT win in Game 2. Hope for a similar result here.

This team has said they like playing in front of the Montreal fans and Kuch's comment was awesome. Lol
I hope they come out strong tomorrow had an entire day off to rewind so hope they can bring some energy from that win into tomorrow .

With that said if we are going to win this series need to do it in less than 7.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
One trend that is the same is the Habs non-production. Game 1, only 1 goal again. Can't believe the Rays won't pop 2 or 3 against any goalie at least every second game. The best thing the Habs do is the D shell in front of Price, but that strategy of trying to win every game 1-0 is not a winner.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
What has happened to Carle? Has he been declining?

Also, love that Coburn has been solid for you guys.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What has happened to Carle? Has he been declining?

Also, love that Coburn has been solid for you guys.

For the most part I think he's actually gotten better since his injury. He's mostly been guilty of making really, really awful turnovers in the defensive zone (e.g. making risky passes across the crease). He did that once in Game 1 of this series, but otherwise he's been pretty good about getting into board battles and making responsible passes in the NZ and OZ.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sens fan here. Sweep those Habs! (BTW all is forgiven for stealing Bish for Connacher). Go Bolts!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The fact that there's so much focus on whatever the ref said to Prust, and that that was what Prust himself was focused on post-game, is a pretty good indication they're rattled.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Even though they dominated most of the game they need to start better. The last two games they were lucky it didn't get out of hand early. And by lucky meaning Bishop making the big saves needed to get the rest of the teams head out of their ass.

With that said last nights game was huge for a confidence booster. Stamkos gets going and the PP looks like it never had a problem to begin with. If those things continue the series will be over quick. Also love the way our defense has been playing. They keep shots to the outside very well. And wow do the Habs have something else coming if they think they can goon this team to turn over. Detroit played that game perfectly. Almost flawlessly and that's why they were never called. Montreal is not so subtle and they look more frustrated with their play.

TB cannot let the foot off the gas. They are in Montreals head including Price. This is one of thse things if we give them an inch they take a mile. If we win the next game this series is over. It may split in TB but I don't see how we lose both games the way the series has played so far. Of course anything can happen but I wouldn't bet on it. Then again I gave the Lightning 20% chance to win game 6 vs the RWs.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Game 3 is HUGE. If we win that, we have a stranglehold. But man, if we lose and have to play again the next day, it's very likely we go back to Montreal tied 2-2.

Hate this scheduling, honestly, but can't do anything about it. We need to take care of business at home.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Game 3 is HUGE. If we win that, we have a stranglehold. But man, if we lose and have to play again the next day, it's very likely we go back to Montreal tied 2-2.

Hate this scheduling, honestly, but can't do anything about it. We need to take care of business at home.

I agree, have to come out flying, We have not the first two games, but I blame more fatigue with that . Our PP actually came through and why we won the game last night.

Think we should try and end it on Thursday, will get some good needed rest. I think they want to give it their all, especially in front of their fans. We shall see.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Time to go for the jugular. A 3-0 deficit would be almost impossible to overcome for Montréal. 2-1 and it's a totally different series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad