Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - ECQF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Detroit Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, but whether or not we should have held onto Brett Connolly and still made the Coburn deal is a legit question. Because Yzerman could have had both guys in the fold.

IMO we haven't missed Connolly and losing him is unlikely to be the reason why we get bounced from the playoffs. I don't think Yzerman would have made the deal if he thought we would miss Connolly in the least. Whether we do or not is debatable, but I don't think so.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't miss Connolly. There's some revisionism going on with him. He turned himself into an NHL caliber player - that's about it. He was still prone to taking dumb ass penalties and he'll never be great defensively.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Yeah, but whether or not we should have held onto Brett Connolly and still made the Coburn deal is a legit question. Because Yzerman could have had both guys in the fold.

IMO we haven't missed Connolly and losing him is unlikely to be the reason why we get bounced from the playoffs. I don't think Yzerman would have made the deal if he thought we would miss Connolly in the least. Whether we do or not is debatable, but I don't think so.

I agree i just think he could have had a great PS, he fits the style well.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't care that Connolly is gone, Our forwards are so packed with players fighting for spots, He had a good shot, but I didn't think he was anything special and wouldn't crack top 6. This left room for Names and Drouin. Wish Drouin was playing in the Playoffs though, he's just gonna make the team better.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Drouin may be a complete non-factor if he plays but you have to at least try inserting him into the lineup. Vlad has mostly been a non-factor this series. Hopefully a final decision hasn't been made yet, I won't get too worked up unless we hear Drouin is part of the morning skate like a scratch would be tomorrow.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Drouin going to be scratched again, what a joke

Yeah, when DET weren't happy with the way they played they changed their lineup and spread out their scoring over more than one line, the fact that Cooper can't seem to see that this doesn't work and he also needs to make some changes to get the team going is beyond me. And he keeps saying that Drouin will get his chance but if we lose tomorrow there won't be many chances left to get him in there...and I'm not happy with having him risk having his first playoff game in a must win or go home game 5, that's a lot of pressure for a young player and could be bad for his confidence.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, when DET weren't happy with the way they played they changed their lineup and spread out their scoring over more than one line, the fact that Cooper can't seem to see that this doesn't work and he also needs to make some changes to get the team going is beyond me.

Abdelkader coming back from injury allowed Detroit to insert him into the lineup. That was't a coaching decision that Babcock just came up with. Abdelkader was been one of the better players all season long. There was no question he was going back into the lineup when he returned from injury. His return to the top line is what allowed Babcock to break up Z and Pavel again.

The only other personnel change was bringing Smith back in place of Marchenko, but it was a shock when Babcock inserted Marchenko into the lineup over Smith to begin with, so again I don't consider that really shaking up their lines or great coaching decisions.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Drouin may be a complete non-factor if he plays but you have to at least try inserting him into the lineup. Vlad has mostly been a non-factor this series. Hopefully a final decision hasn't been made yet, I won't get too worked up unless we hear Drouin is part of the morning skate like a scratch would be tomorrow.

That's what I'm saying as well. There really needs to be a shake-up, aside from just yelling more at the players. Stamkos has sucked, Kucherov has sucked, well, most of the forwards have sucked. We did have some chances we missed in game 3, sure, but we didn't outchance Detroit really in games 2 or 3. We have the offensive talent to be able to do that AND cash in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Drouin's not in for Namestnikov tomorrow, I'll have lost a serious amount of faith in Cooper in the span of a few days.

The current 3rd line is quite possible the worst line we've tried all year.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I agree that the 3rd line has been an issue, we need depth in scoring now more than ever.

We should have another veteran next season, a decent third liner, doesn't have to be anyone spectacular but someone who does bring in some leadership, winning culture and experience.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
If Drouin's not in for Namestnikov tomorrow, I'll have lost a serious amount of faith in Cooper in the span of a few days.

The current 3rd line is quite possible the worst line we've tried all year.

It really is one of the worst combinations I've seen. 2/3rds of that line is completely lost offensively and moderately lost defensively. It's a dumpster fire. Filppula is the only person on that line who knows what the **** they're doing.

I agree with the faith in Cooper bit. Of course, if it works I'll give all kinds of props to him for it too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It really is one of the worst combinations I've seen. 2/3rds of that line is completely lost offensively and moderately lost defensively. It's a dumpster fire. Filppula is the only person on that line who knows what the **** they're doing.

I agree with the faith in Cooper bit. Of course, if it works I'll give all kinds of props to him for it too.

I'm really starting to think it's becoming clear why we seem to be a different team at home than on the road. I'm losing faith. Coop is a great motivator, unquestionably, but his refusal to adjust is flat-out baffling.

The only explanation for this one is that Drouin is in Coop's doghouse. Only thing I can think of anyway.

Yeah, if it works out, credit where it's due. But on the other side of that coin, if it doesn't work out? It hangs squarely on Cooper. Or at least we'll know that that was part of what went wrong.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I feel bad for Drouin but this team is good enough to beat Detroit with or without him. No line-up change also means a massive vote of confidence from the coaching staff and hopefully the boys will not waste that opportunity and come out flying to redeem themselves.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Stamkos and Hedman need to start producing. Vladdy needs to show why he should be in the lineup over anyone else.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

While i'm happy to hear that they are not giving up, they also need to play like they haven't given up on the ice.

I just feel that they could do more if they really wanted to, like if all 22 players just put all their focus on the ice but also if they get the chance then go for it, don't wait for your teammates to catch up by putting on the break at the blueline because then the other team will be able to catch up as well, just keep moving and either you can get a breakaway scroing chance yourself or your teammates will be able to catch up and handle a rebound.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Vladdy started to show some flashes of confidence, clearly not good enough but hopefully he can build on that. I firmly believe Drouin will be in for the next home game though.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Some more from the team:

One will have to hope that it's not all just talk.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Well it's nice that they are all saying the right thing but lets face it; "Actions speak louder than words." I'll belive it when I see it.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
One year ago today we played our last game of the season in game 4, I really want this season to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad