Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - ECF: New York Rangers vs Tampa Bay Lightning

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Going deep against two teams we dominated in the regular season... Eh, I don't expect anything anymore. Both series were close but we didn't dominate like I expected. Tampa played Tampa hockey about three times out of 13 games so far. Hard to be terribly confident when we've been inconsistent.

Still, it's going to be a fun ride.

You guys are acting like you're up against an allstar team. The Rangers haven't been as good as you think and not nearly as good as they played last postseason IMO

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Five things must happen for us to win this series, and I'm not sure how likely they are...

1)Carle must be a league average defenseman instead of a full-on dumpster fire.
2)The PP must click consistently for the whole series, keep the Rangers honest 5 on 5.
3)Cally must return by game 3/4 and be 100%
4)Stamkos must be Stamkos
5)Bishop has to be as good as he's been since game 5 vs Det ended.

I think 4 out of those 5 might be sufficient too.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Round 1

16934276287_defc21e460_o.gif

Round 2

17121277367_ba6b4a55fd_o_d.gif

Round 3

17438276340_3b8d54c9ab_o.gif

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Good luck!

Also, if the Rangers do lose to you guys, I'll be rooting for you guys big time in the finals. Sick and tired of some of the elitist western fans on the main boards. ALMOST rooting for the east team to win the cup as much as the Rangers...almost ;)

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I can't say I would be too mad or disappointed if we lost this series. My personal expectation for the Lightning this year was to get out of the first round and prove they can win in the playoffs. They've done that and a lot more. Rangers also are in a win now mode while we're just inching closer to the contender status. All in all, these playoffs have been huge for getting young guys some playoff experience and confidence that they can beat anyone.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trip to Finals though. :naughty:

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I can't say I would be too mad or disappointed if we lost this series. My personal expectation for the Lightning this year was to get out of the first round and prove they can win in the playoffs. They've done that and a lot more. Rangers also are in a win now mode while we're just inching closer to the contender status. All in all, these playoffs have been huge for getting young guys some playoff experience and confidence that they can beat anyone.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trip to Finals though. :naughty:

I feel similar in a lot of ways, but honestly the more I look at it and really think about it... we're a damn serious contender.

The Rangers will be tough, but at the same time that's the playoffs for ya (at least when you get to this point).

Gonna be a good series, but I've got our bolts in 6 taking it home.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I feel similar in a lot of ways, but honestly the more I look at it and really think about it... we're a damn serious contender.

The Rangers will be tough, but at the same time that's the playoffs for ya (at least when you get to this point).

With Cally in and Zuccarello out for them, our forwards are surely better. D is close to even, very close, they've got an edge in net. Basically, this is a lot like the Montreal series, but upgrade the skaters a little.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

Certainly. They're learning on the fly. The lack of experience still shows with the inconsistency though. Looking back, facing Detroit in the first round was probably the best thing that could've happened. The players and the coach got a lesson on how to win in the playoffs. We can beat the Rangers and I really hope we do but win or lose, these playoffs have helped this team tremendously.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Why not? Bolts have gotten a prime education in the prior two rounds. They're now 4 wins away from a shot at hockey immortality.

If the Bolts can apply the lessons learned from the prior two rounds and consistently play like they did in Games 1/2 vs. DET and Game 6 vs. MTL on a more consistent basis, the Lightning have a real shot at closing the Rangers' Cup Window, while prying open their own a whole lot further.

Bolts, during the regular season, went 6-0-1 vs. the teams remaining in the playoffs. They're more than capable of beating the Rangers. The early season meetings with the Rangers should not be indicative of how these upcoming games will go. The Rangers were banged up and searching for their identity early on in the year. They're a completely different team at this point.

Four wins from a shot at the cup. Play them like they're the last games you'll ever get to play and it may be enough.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
What's your prediction ?

Isles fan rooting like hell for you guys.

I don't see why your team can't take care of them in 6. Them and Montreal are similar teams in that their goaltending holds them together. Rags have decent forwards but no one that is a gamebreaker and their defense is pretty good.

With that said you guys get to the queen early and keep pressure on and you'll be good to go. Unlike the Caps you guys have multiple lines that could score and make their lives a living hell.

Plus Boyle, Stralman and Callahan(once he's back) I think will have a couple extra gears this series.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If we win the series and Chicago wins their series we can send four original six teams home. Sounds like destiny.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I look forward to and expect the Callahan HF Defense Force LF24™ to be fully armed and operational this series.

LOL, it's really not worth it, plus he needs to play and be 100 percent. Callahan is only one of their problems to be concerned with, if Stamkos stays hot, and then TKO, plus they struggle against Bishop, so I like our odds.

Callahan has proven himself in the regular season hands down, but this is the true golden opportunity to not only do that but get pay back on his former team for dumping him. Don't forget Stralman, Rangers did not think Stralman was worth re-signing either. So there is a fire rising there also.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I'm also curies about Coburn since he was on the PHI team that lost in the first round to the nyr last year so I'm sure he also wants revenge for that.

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
I grew up in northeast New Jersey and was a lifelong Rangers fan until 2002 when I started to go to Lightning games with my daughter and converted. The best thing about this series to me is I get to trash talk with my brother who's still in Jersey and still a Rangers fan..

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Not that it matters now but I heard what happened from a source close to the team. Yzerman really wanted him on the team but Babcock didn't want him. Yzerman fought hard and Babcock said if you put him on the team I won't play him. We know how that unfolded.

Then when Marty found out he wasn't on the initial roster he requested a trade and only to NY. We all know that. The day of the trade Yzerman, Cooper, and Vinik met with Marty and said they want him to retire a Lighting and Vinik offered him 5 mil dollars to Marty's charity. He refused and said he wanted to leave TB and only to NY.

Marty didn't find out how hard Yzerman fought to put him on the roster until after the trade. He indeed felt disrespected by Yzerman. And his family didn't want him in TB anymore. They agreed NY was the best place for them as it was close to his home, a better place he thought for their kids to play hockey and his wife loves NY.

The trade worked out because Yzerman is freakin wizard but this was interesting to me nonetheless. Now you see Marty getting very little playing time and there is talks about him not even being resigned this offseason if he requests "too much". He may be regretting his decision. Especially if TB wins the series and plays for the cup. But I don't want to get ahead of myself here. There is a best of seven series to be played and both teams want it badly. Lots of storylines between the teams. Should be a great series. GO BOLTS!!

I honestly have no hard feelings towards Marty. He just makes this series a lot more fun :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad