2014-15 Official Rant Thread

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
The value of RNH and Eberle is withering away with each passing game for the Oil this season. We'll see how things play out.. Who gets the short end of the stick in the blame game in Edmonton.

and bjugstads value is skyrocketing this season so far, right?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
More potential, but less experience. Which works in his favor, because Bjugstad hasn't been sucking for nearly as long as the young oilers.

bjugstads potential is lower than RNH:s, we need a scorer and RNH will score more than bjugstad, but bjugstad brings a lot of other stuff, like defensive play etc

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Not sure where else to post this, but seeing Kris Versteeg's smug grin really pisses me off. That guy, with his attitude, doesn't even deserve to sell tickets for an organization like the Blackhawks and yet he's playing on the second line with Kane and Shaw tonight. He might be the luckiest guy in sports with the way he acted down here to get rewarded and sent to a first class, winning organization like the Blackhawks.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Not sure where else to post this, but seeing Kris Versteeg's smug grin really pisses me off. That guy, with his attitude, doesn't even deserve to sell tickets for an organization like the Blackhawks and yet he's playing on the second line with Kane and Shaw tonight. He might be the luckiest guy in sports with the way he acted down here to get rewarded and sent to a first class, winning organization like the Blackhawks.

lool

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
:shakehead He was great here then tried to recover from major surgery with no help from his assigned linemates.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Versteeg helped break our playoff drought. I can forgive him.

:shakehead He was great here then tried to recover from major surgery with no help from his assigned linemates.

I'll be honest and say that I never liked the guy, going back to his first stint in Chicago. He never figured out that he's not Patrick Kane and always tried to dangle his way out of everything. He was so frustrating to watch. But he has one awful attitude as an athlete. He's basically been on a new team each year since he was a cap casualty in 2010. That says a lot to me about how he is as a person. And it seems a lot of people here have said he had a bad influence on Huberdeau last year. The Blackhawks are too good for a guy like that.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Versteeg already played like crap towards the end of 11-12 and the playoffs. Like IMC already said, the guy thinks he's Kane and can dangle through the whole defense. Probably the most frustrating player ever to watch.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Versteeg already played like crap towards the end of 11-12 and the playoffs. Like IMC already said, the guy thinks he's Kane and can dangle through the whole defense. Probably the most frustrating player ever to watch.

When he moves the puck off his stick quickly, and then gets into position to receive a pass, he is dangerous.

That's how the Fleischmann, Versteeg, Weiss line worked well. Its hard to recreate lightning in a bottle.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Is anyone else kind of upset to see Johansen reach the level he's at right now? I mean we picked Gudbranson instead, so it's like ya.. If you could switch the two right now, Florida would in a heart beat, but Columbus certainly wouldn't. Barkov and Bjugstad might not ever reach the level of Ryjo. Only time will tell I guess. Still kind of upset about that pick. We were in need of a top d man and a top center, so Tallon basically chose defense over offense. And ya, Gudbranson's impeccable character, blah, blah.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Is anyone else kind of upset to see Johansen reach the level he's at right now? I mean we picked Gudbranson instead, so it's like ya.. If you could switch the two right now, Florida would in a heart beat, but Columbus certainly wouldn't. Barkov and Bjugstad might not ever reach the level of Ryjo. Only time will tell I guess. Still kind of upset about that pick. We were in need of a top d man and a top center, so Tallon basically chose defense over offense. And ya, Gudbranson's impeccable character, blah, blah.

This like that nature vs nurture in psych. I argue nurture for nhl prospects is even more important than innate talent.

Johansen wouldnt be as great if he played on fla. And Guds would be a lot better if he were brough up in columbus.

CoolburnIsGone

There was a lot of dominos that would fall differently had we picked Johansen instead of Gudbranson. I had thought about this at length this offseason actually and we probably would be in a much different position had we gone another route. As you said, Tallon chose a "top d-man" over a "top center" so had we chosen Johansen, we probably wouldnt have been in position to draft Huberdeau the following year (assuming we did as well as Columbus did after drafting RyJo) so we'd be picking a d-man then which could've been either Dougie Hamilton or Jonas Brodin (Columbus traded their pick which turned out to be #8 overall, Sean Couturier, which we wouldnt have wanted another center). Thats a much different roster than we would see now or the future.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

it was a draft pick, he was scouted and they thought he was so extremely raw that he can become a legit top d-man.

gudbranson has had terrible luck his whole nhl career, and i think that pushes his development curve a year futher or so

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Not really.

Gudbranson has started the season well. I still have high hopes for him.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

Like they say, hindsight is 20/20. You can go back to every single draft year and say we should have picked Y player instead of X. The fact is Gudbranson was ranked much higher than Johanson, so at the time it made sense to pick him 3rd overall.

2006 we should have picked Giroux instead of Frolic
2007 we should have picked P.K Subban instead of Keaton Ellerby
2008 Voynov instead of Markstrom, Hamonic instead of Robak...

It is a worthless exercise... Scouting is an inexact science.

CoolburnIsGone

Like they say, hindsight is 20/20. You can go back to every single draft year and say we should have picked Y player instead of X. The fact is Gudbranson was ranked much higher than Johanson, so at the time it made sense to pick him 3rd overall.

2006 we should have picked Giroux instead of Frolic
2007 we should have picked P.K Subban instead of Keaton Ellerby
2008 Voynov instead of Markstrom, Hamonic instead of Robak...

It is a worthless exercise... Scouting is an inexact science.
That science is a little more exact when you get to top 5 picks though. All of your examples are picks later in the draft which obviously will have some major variability. At the time of the draft, Gudbranson was not ranked much higher than Johansen. They were both considered in the top 10 and Gudbranson was often not even the top d-man ranked most of the time (that was Fowler). IIRC Johansen was ranked around the 4-8 range and so was Guds going into the draft so they were equivalent prospects and its fair to question whether we should have drafted him over RyJo.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I know I am a broken record but:

Gudds hasn't even hit the 200 pro game's mark.

He's got a goal and is plus 2 through 6 games.

He's a physical monster who plays a hard game.

If we trade him now (unless for something great) I think we will regret it.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Guds has been really good this year IMO. He has improved his game, anybody else notice that mostly all of his shots have been on goal? I was concerned last year because he didn't really show improvement from the prior season but it looks like his development is back on track.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
That science is a little more exact when you get to top 5 picks though. All of your examples are picks later in the draft which obviously will have some major variability. At the time of the draft, Gudbranson was not ranked much higher than Johansen. They were both considered in the top 10 and Gudbranson was often not even the top d-man ranked most of the time (that was Fowler). IIRC Johansen was ranked around the 4-8 range and so was Guds going into the draft so they were equivalent prospects and its fair to question whether we should have drafted him over RyJo.

Emphasis in LITTLE... in almost every draft year you will find there are questionable picks (in hindsight) in the top 5... just to name a few:
2001 Svitov (3rd), Chistov (5th)
2002 Pitkanen (4th), Whitney (5th)
2003 Zherdev (4th)
2004 Barker (3rd)
2005 Pouliot (4th)

NHL Central Scouting final 2010 rankings had Guddy (4th), Fowler (5th) and Johansen (10th). For whatever that is worth
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&year=2010

Again, in retrospect, it is easy to question draft picks... In this particular case, I think it may be too early still to make a final judgement on Gudbranson's abilities as a player (after all, he is still only 22 years old)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad