Salary Cap: 2014-15-Happy Thoughts

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Golden opportunity or not, IT WILL HAPPEN at next season.

Our kids losing their waiver eligibility will push those old dogs out automatically.

1. Zeta --> Zeta
2. Dats --> Dats
3. Mule --> Mule
4. Alfie --> Alfie/high-priced UFA
5. Weiss --> Weiss
6. Helm --> Helm
7. Nyquist --> Nyquist
8. Tatar --> Tatar
9. Akader --> Akader
10. Bertuzzi --> Sheahan big body for young big body
11. Miller --> Miller
12. Andersson --> Andersson
13. Cleary --> Callahan young guy with same PK and net-front abilities
14. Sammy --> Ferraro real energy line player.
---------------------------------------
15. Tootoo --> waivered Tootoo again, or maybe bought out with compliance buyout
16. Eaves --> let walk
17. Emmerton --> let walk
18. Glendening --> Glendening (waiver-free 1st callup for Bottom6)
19. Jurco --> Jurco (waiver-free 1st callup for TOP6)

These are no-brainers for me. And I also think they are same for Holland.

Saving this post for future reference.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think Babcock sees Tatar has more grit and tenacity in his game then Nyquist so he works better on 3rd line than Nyquist.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think Babcock has wised up regarding Abdelkader. After the initial trial period, when Franzen has been healthy Abdelkader has been a mainstay in the bottom 6. He only goes back to the top 6 when Franzen is out, to be the replacement "big body winger".

Ferraro is the only guy I really see as the wild card.

I view the top 6 as most likely being: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Alfredsson, Nyquist, Weiss

And 5/6 of the bottom 6 being solidly: Helm, Tatar, Abdelkader, Miller, Sheahan

Now that 12th forward could be any of Glendening, Ferraro, Cleary (god no), but I think the rest of the roster is somewhat set.

And you could swap Nyquist and Tatar in terms of top 6 or bottom 6, but seems to me Babcock has always thought higher of Nyquist, and has almost always put him higher on the depth chart.

I think that's all good reasoning. But what about Andersson? Personally, I'm lukewarm on him and not opposed to an upgrade, but I think he's still in the picture.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think that's all good reasoning. But what about Andersson? Personally, I'm lukewarm on him and not opposed to an upgrade, but I think he's still in the picture.

I agree he's still in the picture. But maybe he should be packaged with some other prospects for an upgrade on D?

Look at the center depth for next year.

Dats
Z
Helm
Weiss
Sheahan
Glendenning/Andersson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Either 13th forward or waived.

Sheahan is a better hockey player in every way, and is out of waivers next year.

Only way I see him being on the team is if we go into next season with Weiss and/or Helm injured.

Otherwise we have too many centers, and he's nothing special. Would waive him before exposing Ferraro or Sheahan to waivers.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
That is a good forward breakdown. I wouldn't mind eaves for 13th/14th if he took minimum and realized he was only playing if people were hurt.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
That is a good forward breakdown. I wouldn't mind eaves for 13th/14th if he took minimum and realized he was only playing if people were hurt.

I like Eaves, but he has no spot on the team next year when the Wings can bring up cheaper and younger players to fulfill a similar role.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Either 13th forward or waived.

Sheahan is a better hockey player in every way, and is out of waivers next year.

Only way I see him being on the team is if we go into next season with Weiss and/or Helm injured.

Otherwise we have too many centers, and he's nothing special. Would waive him before exposing Ferraro or Sheahan to waivers.

If Andersson isn't part of the future, you have to trade him. Why waive a young center who has shown he can play on the PK if you can get something out of him? And yes, I think his youth and what he has shown is enough to get assets from him.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If Andersson isn't part of the future, you have to trade him. Why waive a young center who has shown he can play on the PK if you can get something out of him? And yes, I think his youth and what he has shown is enough to get assets from him.

I wouldn't mind trading him for a low pick at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If you can get something, then sure, go for it.

Either way don't think he has a future here. He opened the door for Sheahan and dug his own grave.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Harder to think what will happen with defence. We need another stay-at-home, same type like Ericsson.

Quincey (who was projected to be that stay-at-home but has failed) is probably walking out and prospect replacement is puckmovin-only Almquist.

Maybe some UFA has to be brought in. Right handness would be nice bonus.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Harder to think what will happen with defence. We need another stay-at-home, same type like Ericsson.

Quincey (who was projected to be that stay-at-home but has failed) is probably walking out and prospect replacement is puckmovin-only Almquist.

Quincey was always more of an offensive defenseman before coming here, no?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Marchenko/Quellete could be 6th/7th defenseman. I would prefer a vet on a two year deal, but they are both capable. I think the future is bright. This year can either go great, or end badly depending on the health of our veteran core (Z,Dats,Ericcson,Kronwall,Mule,Alfie,Weiss,Helm).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Looking at the UFA list for 2014 I see Nick Schultz, Willie Mitchell, Ron Hainsey, Matt Greene.

Those guys are all pretty good defensively. Doubt Schultz hits free agency, but maybe the others will.

Willie might be over the hill, haven't seen him play a ton, he used to be solid in Vancouver IMO

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Quincey was always more of an offensive defenseman before coming here, no?

Not really.

As a prospect we always projected him to be more of a defensive defenseman. Then he went to some teams with paper-thin defense, and put up points, getting big PP and ES mins, and then tricked us into thinking he was a two way defenseman.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Looking at the UFA list for 2014 I see Nick Schultz, Willie Mitchell, Ron Hainsey, Matt Greene.

Those guys are all pretty good defensively. Doubt Schultz hits free agency, but maybe the others will.

Willie might be over the hill, haven't seen him play a ton, he used to be solid in Vancouver IMO

How about Girardi? Going to assume he's going to get paid but we're one of the teams that can offer him a lot..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How about Girardi? Going to assume he's going to get paid but we're one of the teams that can offer him a lot..

Would be perfect. Even with a bonehead overpay. Perfect R handness that fits well with our puckmoving guys. We don't have that kind of superbly defensive RHD even at our prospect system. So, time to overpay and get him.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd be okay with that as well.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Girardi
Smith - Kindl/Lashoff

Is really solid.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Golden opportunity or not, IT WILL HAPPEN at next season.

Our kids losing their waiver eligibility will push those old dogs out automatically.

1. Zeta --> Zeta
2. Dats --> Dats
3. Mule --> Mule
4. Alfie --> Alfie/high-priced UFA
5. Weiss --> Weiss
6. Helm --> Helm
7. Nyquist --> Nyquist
8. Tatar --> Tatar
9. Akader --> Akader
10. Bertuzzi --> Sheahan big body for young big body
11. Miller --> Miller
12. Andersson --> Andersson
13. Cleary --> Callahan young gritty and pesty guy with same PK and net-front abilities
14. Sammy --> Ferraro real energy line player.
---------------------------------------
15. Tootoo --> waivered Tootoo again, or maybe bought out with compliance buyout
16. Eaves --> let walk
17. Emmerton --> let walk
18. Glendening --> Glendening (waiver-free 1st callup for Bottom6)
19. Jurco --> Jurco (waiver-free 1st callup for TOP6)

Agree with most of that, except I think Cleary will be brought back. Babcock has given him an A, and if he continues to play when everyone is healthy....he'll be brought back.

And I think one of Jurco and Mantha will be given a chance to claim a roster spot in training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad