League News: 2014-15 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They are down 2-1. Not watching the game. Just saw score.

Total NYR domination. Nash scored on the PP, and then the Preds score two goals, bang bang, in the last 90 seconds of the 2nd.

Obviously want the Rags to lose, so I'll take it, but Rinne is the only reason it's not a blowout.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Wow :)

@MikeKellyNHL: Total goal differential by division (entering today)

Central = +94
Metro = +10
Atlantic = -38
Pacific = -66

@MikeKellyNHL: Every team in a playoff spot has a plus goal differential. Every team outside has a minus. Season hasn't finished that way since 1999.

OVs Gold Chain*

Rangers due for a slide, few more losses with the backup in and you never know what that turns into.
Talbot is good but he's far from Lundqvist-good.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Watching a bit of Boston-Islanders in their 3rd period. The only guy concerning me is Rask. Isles lost in regulation. Good.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
The 'Nucks are kicking the Pens in the patootie!! 5-0 with 15 minutes in the 3rd.

ETA: Make that 5 minutes left. Now we just need to win tomorrow and we'll be sharing the top spot in the Metro with them.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If I were an LA fan, I'd actually be worried. They went from a second pairing of Mitchell-Voynov to Regehr-Martinez, which is a huge downgrade. They're paying huge amounts of money to Richards, Brown, and Quick and getting an AHLer, a worse version of Brouwer, and a league average goalie for it (seriously, that's 17.5M right there, all signed through at least 2020). Next year, new deals kick in for Muzzin and Martinez bumping each of them up to 4M/year. They've got to resign or replace Williams (1RW), Stoll (3C), and Regehr (2LD), and Toffoli, Pearson, and Clifford are all RFAs. Their prospect pool is pretty bare at this point too. The Kings are honestly kind of a mess. They're just lucky Quick, Carter, and Richards are on those illegal back-diving deals, or they'd be even more screwed.

Yeah. Screwed royally.

Poor Kings fan.

Rivers of tears-- (tears caught by not One Cup....but Two, the last few years?...oh. Yeah, I'd trade spots with them 10000000 times out of 10000000).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The 'Nucks are kicking the Pens in the patootie!! 5-0 with 15 minutes in the 3rd.

ETA: Make that 5 minutes left. Now we just need to win tomorrow and we'll be sharing the top spot in the Metro with them.

Well-- you're assuming the Isles will lose to the Sabres tomorrow? Cuz if not, Caps are still behind the Isles.

Rags also host the Stars, so they could tie the Caps if we choke against the Flyers. God hope not.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Ugh, how could I forget to check the Isles and Rangers. Duh! Well, It's possible the Rangers will lose to the Stars, but yeah, the Isles will probably beat the Sabres. Oh well. Still, another shut-out loss against the Pens is never not delicious. :) And I won't even entertain that final thought of yours!

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
If I were an LA fan, I'd actually be worried. They went from a second pairing of Mitchell-Voynov to Regehr-Martinez, which is a huge downgrade. They're paying huge amounts of money to Richards, Brown, and Quick and getting an AHLer, a worse version of Brouwer, and a league average goalie for it (seriously, that's 17.5M right there, all signed through at least 2020). Next year, new deals kick in for Muzzin and Martinez bumping each of them up to 4M/year. They've got to resign or replace Williams (1RW), Stoll (3C), and Regehr (2LD), and Toffoli, Pearson, and Clifford are all RFAs. Their prospect pool is pretty bare at this point too. The Kings are honestly kind of a mess. They're just lucky Quick, Carter, and Richards are on those illegal back-diving deals, or they'd be even more screwed.

They risked the future for the present. It got them a couple Cups, so they'll tell you it was worth it.

Now comes the downside. They're probably going to be a mess for a long time, whether it starts this year or soon after.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sharks are 2nd in Pacific yet if they were on the East they'd be outside of playoffs entirely.

I thought Pacific was meant to be the best division in the NHL.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
They risked the future for the present. It got them a couple Cups, so they'll tell you it was worth it.

Now comes the downside. They're probably going to be a mess for a long time, whether it starts this year or soon after.

With Quick, Doughty and Kopitar, they won't ever really be "a mess". Might struggle for a year or 2, but they are eminently reloadable. And they have 2 cups, as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad