League News: 2014-15 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Forsberg wins it for Nashville.

I know there is a lot of hockey but the EC playoff teams have separated themselves pretty good.

Nashville a surprise. Lavi working his usual magic. I probably just jinxed him.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
TSN says it is done. http://www.tsn.ca/kane-bogosian-dealt-to-sabres-in-eight-player-blockbuster-deal-1.205003

The Jets traded Kane, Zach Bogosian, and unsigned goaltending prospect Jason Kasdorf to the Sabres on Wednesday in exchange for Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, prospects Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia and a first-round draft pick.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the first-round pick going to Winnipeg will be the lowest of the three that Buffalo currently owns.

By lowest I assume worst right?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Exactly. Bogosian is a great young dman. So is Myers, but that's a big swap for Winnipeg.
Great is a bit much for both. Myers might end up the better of the two since he's going from Gorges to Enstrom and Winnipeg overall is a far better possession team. I've always found Bogosian pretty average. Tough, solid physically mostly but he's missed a lot of games lately and his passing and overall hockey sense aren't that great. I like Buffalo adding Kane but they should have stopped there.

This ups the ante in the Western Conference playoff race. Do Dallas, Vancouver or Los Angeles respond with moves soon?

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Bogosian is from upstate NY, so I know he's probably happy to be playing closer to home. Wouldn't be shocked to see him with the "C" on his sweater within the next season or two.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bogosian is basically what Carlson was prior to this season. Big, mobile, promising but inconsistent.
Except for the whole being healthy thing and even then I've never really cared for his ability to move the puck. He's put up points but his outlets aren't very good. Maybe some of that's his timing being off due to injuries or whatever but to me Winnipeg upgrades in a big way with Myers. To me Myers is more of a 2 with a good D partner and system whereas Bogosian is more of a 3 or 4.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bogosian is basically what Carlson was prior to this season. Big, mobile, promising but inconsistent.

I wouldn't even go this far. Bogosian has been a heckuva letdown. He's regressed since his first couple years where he looked like he was going to be very good.

Carlson has scored 30+ points in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Bogo has only hit 30 once.

Carlson was an absolute beast in the playoffs since 11-12 and has been an iron man missing no games since he was a full time regular.

Bogosian is constantly hurt and has missed more games than Green since the last lockout.

Maybe I expected too much out of him since his time in Atlanta but he has not impressed me the times I saw him with the Jets at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Carlson's ES assists are an underappreciated stat this season. 2nd on the team behind Backstrom, but with more ES assists and a much higher percentage of total assists at ES.

edit: in fact, he leads all NHL defensemen in ES assists (24).

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Bogosian has great tools without a doubt but his toolbox is highly questionable. Carlson's toolbox has always been quite a bit better than Bogosian's IMO.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Carlson's ES assists are an underappreciated stat this season. 2nd on the team behind Backstrom, but with more ES assists and a much higher percentage of total assists at ES.

edit: in fact, he leads all NHL defensemen in ES assists (24).

If you dig back, he was doing this at a very young age as well....don't feel like looking it up, but I believe he's had two top five finishes in that category already. Which is one of the reasons I still think he has substantial offensive upside.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Myers + Stafford (Rental) > Bogosian
Lemieux + Armia + 1st > Kane + Kasdorf

Very good deal for Winnipeg.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Myers + Stafford (Rental) > Bogosian
Lemieux + Armia + 1st > Kane + Kasdorf

Very good deal for Winnipeg.

That's what I was thinking. I was asking in one of these threads, what does this do to future trades if anything? WPG was a motivated seller with a disgruntled player that's out for the damn season, and they still got a ton of value in a deal.

Is this an anomaly, or does it blow the curve?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That's what I was thinking. I was asking in one of these threads, what does this do to future trades if anything? WPG was a motivated seller with a disgruntled player that's out for the damn season, and they still got a ton of value in a deal.

Is this an anomaly, or does it blow the curve?

Could be lots of things behind the scenes. Did they explore resigning Stafford and came to the conclusion that wasn't possible? Did Myers ask for a trade at some point since his career was on a sharp decline? Does Buffalo think they can get better value back for Kane in the off-season with more teams that have the Caps space (as opposed to Jets who want to make the playoffs now)?

1st round pick, former 1st rounder that is as close to NHL-ready as you get and prospect that is tearing up the OHL is excellent value for Kane who clearly wanted out (and his teammates wanted him out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->