WJC: 2014 — U.S.A. Roster Talk

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
So, how to they determie final standings and next year's pools? Do we get fifth if all the other favorites win?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Really thought this team could have made a run here. Would have liked to see Gillies really step up this game and play lights up but **** happens. How many guys are eligible to return next year?

Seven.

Eichel, Erne, Fasching, Santini, McCoshen, Butcher and Demko.

And they won't lose any of them to pro hockey.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I really thought the US showed well. Fasching was obviously a stud....Eichel was even better than I thought ( he looks like he drifts at times but, God is he dangerous)....carrick was (predictably) great. Expected more from Gilles.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
not impressed with Gillies but I'm not really surprised

every time I've seen Providence they've had a pretty suffocating defense, but Gillies never really stood out. specifically their game VS Northeastern

I hope its not the case but his numbers are probably just a product of Providence's system

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Disappointing ending to the tournament.

Special teams failed this team in the last two games. The PP looked awful leading up to the tournament so I'm not surprised it looked that way when the competition was as good as the pre-tournament competition.

Certainly disappointing but not really unexpected. They were in the weaker group and I think any of the Swedes, Russians or Finns could have beaten them. The game against Canada was crucial and considering how vulnerable they had looked early in the tournament I felt that was the pivotal game for the US to win. It would have been nice to see them dig deep and take this last game to end up with a shot at a medal but those back to back 5 on 3's were devastating and they didn't really recover.

I felt the power play wasn't nearly as good as it appeared to be early on but figured if I said anything earlier people would jump all over me. Besides, I'm not sure what they could have done differently with what they had to work with.

I'm really hoping for more consistency from US teams on a year to year basis at this tournament. It seems the Canadians, Swedes and Russians are pretty much always a sure bet to play for a medal regardless of what their roster looks like on paper. US teams have been really hit or miss the past few years and I'm not sure what can be done to correct it. They were in the driver's seat in both of the last two games at various points but really couldn't find that extra something to make the difference.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
You know, if you watch the games from last year, this team isn't far off from a 2013 version without John Gibson.

Gillies was simply average, as we've all noted. He needed to be good, in this one. He didn't even need to be great, or out of this world as Gibson was versus Canada and Sweden. (Seriously, watch the highlights again for some of his handiwork). The goaltending can fuel the team, especially at the youth level and especially for a team that looked as mentally fragile as this one. Who knows what happens if Gillies doesn't give up the rebound on the second goal. He really wasn't at fault for goals one, three or four, but on goal two he had the chance to really make an impact for his team. In the end he was average. He wasn't quite Thomas McCollum bad, but he wasn't able to be an impact player.

The only team I've seen win the tournament with average goaltending was the 2010 US team. I know we all remember Jack Campbell's heroic's and he did make a big save on Pietrangelo leading up to Carlson's goal, but the US gave up 5 goals that game, many of them soft. That team simply was mentally strong and as talented as any US team, with good leaders like Stepan, Carlson etc who kept the team focused and they never dropped their heads. Even after what could have been a crippling blow when Eberle scored to evaporate the two goal lead.

This team on the other hand simply crumbled whenever the going got tough. When Canada tied the game and scored again, the US simply wilted. You can argue the calls all you want in this game, but the team can only control it's play and it wilted when faced with adversity in the 5 on 3s. They crumbled plain and simple. They started pressing and lost their composure. Maybe if Copp ties the game late they get their swagger back, but it wasn't to be. As it was, the story of this team was dominating first periods, followed by a fragile mentality that wilted in adversity and simply average goaltending.

In the end this team actually exceeded my expectations. I really thought this would be one of the weakest teams we've sent to the tournament in years. In terms of pure talented probably the worst in recent memory. In the end though this team was pretty competitive and out played Canada and Russia for stretches, just coming up a bit short. It's a bit disappointing in the end to lose, but in terms of pre tournament expectations for me at least, this wasn't a disappointing team.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
^^

I don't hold him at fault for any of the Zadorov goals, but with the hype you just expect him to make a big save for the team, I don't really recall him making any save that wasn't just a positional save

Zadorov vs Gillies sort of reminded me of Krug vs Lundqvist last year. Hard to blame Hank for not stopping some of Krug's goals last year but at the same time you expect a guy touted as the best in the field to make a stop for once

Who's next down the pipeline for goaltending for the US?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
^^

I don't hold him at fault for any of the Zadorov goals, but with the hype you just expect him to make a big save for the team, I don't really recall him making any save that wasn't just a positional save

Zadorov vs Gillies sort of reminded me of Krug vs Lundqvist last year. Hard to blame Hank for not stopping some of Krug's goals last year but at the same time you expect a guy touted as the best in the field to make a stop for once

Who's next down the pipeline for goaltending for the US?

Thatcher Demko was brought along as the third goalie, so you'd have to give him the early odds.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You know, if you watch the games from last year, this team isn't far off from a 2013 version without John Gibson.

Gillies was simply average, as we've all noted. He needed to be good, in this one. He didn't even need to be great, or out of this world as Gibson was versus Canada and Sweden. (Seriously, watch the highlights again for some of his handiwork). The goaltending can fuel the team, especially at the youth level and especially for a team that looked as mentally fragile as this one. Who knows what happens if Gillies doesn't give up the rebound on the second goal. He really wasn't at fault for goals one, three or four, but on goal two he had the chance to really make an impact for his team. In the end he was average. He wasn't quite Thomas McCollum bad, but he wasn't able to be an impact player.

The only team I've seen win the tournament with average goaltending was the 2010 US team. I know we all remember Jack Campbell's heroic's and he did make a big save on Pietrangelo leading up to Carlson's goal, but the US gave up 5 goals that game, many of them soft. That team simply was mentally strong and as talented as any US team, with good leaders like Stepan, Carlson etc who kept the team focused and they never dropped their heads. Even after what could have been a crippling blow when Eberle scored to evaporate the two goal lead.

This team on the other hand simply crumbled whenever the going got tough. When Canada tied the game and scored again, the US simply wilted. You can argue the calls all you want in this game, but the team can only control it's play and it wilted when faced with adversity in the 5 on 3s. They crumbled plain and simple. They started pressing and lost their composure. Maybe if Copp ties the game late they get their swagger back, but it wasn't to be. As it was, the story of this team was dominating first periods, followed by a fragile mentality that wilted in adversity and simply average goaltending.

In the end this team actually exceeded my expectations. I really thought this would be one of the weakest teams we've sent to the tournament in years. In terms of pure talented probably the worst in recent memory. In the end though this team was pretty competitive and out played Canada and Russia for stretches, just coming up a bit short. It's a bit disappointing in the end to lose, but in terms of pre tournament expectations for me at least, this wasn't a disappointing team.

I agree with you about Gilles. They needed him to step up more than he did - I was actually a bit disappointed in his performance, but it could have been my expectations were unreasonably after Gibson.

It's too bad the US lost...I thought they would win a medal and maybe get back to the gold medal match...but their power play abandoned them and they need better goaltending.

How many of their players are eligible to return next year?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
On the other hand, should be a strong team next year :

Erne-Eichel-Kelleher
Motte-Cammarata-Fasching
Hurley-Compher-Tuch
Schmaltz-Conner-Bailey
Cassels

Butcher-Santini
McCoshen-Vannelli
Hanifin-Brodzinski
DeAngelo

Demko
Nedeljkovic

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess it is easy to second guess a team right after they lose with some of their selections, but in all honesty this is what many of us felt was going to happen.

This team was not constructed properly imo, and left too much firepower at home.

Though they played admirably the first 4 games, you can tell against Canada we just lacked those 2-3 horses to ride on to help put away a team of that caliber. This team wasn't bad at all, and a few breaks the other way and we are in, but again I just saw too many of the same type of skill level on this team that was going to be a problem against teams like Canada, Sweden, and Russia.

Danny O'Regan was a complete flop. Simple as that. He impressed at the camp at a few exhibition games, but overall the kid simply stunk up the joint and killed our top 6 as we had no one else to step in. Losing Compher made things much harder overall as he would have been a player to take over a role in that top 6. Still have to say no Jimmy Lodge and Anthony DeAngelo were giant mistakes despite certain deficiencies.

Gillies needed to be very good this tournament, and like many of USA's downfall, our goalie play usually leaves something to be desired. Gillies didn't play bad enough to cost us this tournament, he just didn't play good enough to help overcome some of our deficiencies.

Again it is easy to second guess this team and some of the selections that were made after they lose as if this team won the Gold I would probably not say another word about anything involing players left off...well probably not, but :laugh:

I think this should be another wake up call for Johansson and company that you can't just always go with players you are familiar with. Sometimes you need those wild card type players in the lineup like Lodge, Cammarata, DeAngelo, Samuelsson, etc to actually help your team score some goals.

Overall I really don't have a lot of bad things to say about this team as it was built to be a hard working group without a lot of scorers. Individual players like Fasching, Barber, Eichel, Kerdiles, Erne, Hartman, etc are all very good players and most will likely have nice professional careers. It simply just wasn't enough.

I don't think team USA is going to be upset for too long as the 1996 and 1997 eligible players that are coming are at a level that we simply didn't have for this team. Plus guys like Cammarata, DeAngelo, Lodge, Hurley, Compher, Motte, Cassels, Bailey, De Leo, etc are all going to be eligible for next year.

Prior to this tournament, we have 2 Gold medals and a bronze in the past 4 years, hardly anything to really be worried about as very few countries have been as consistent as we have over the past 5 years.

There is going to be a ton of talented players left off this team next year as the overall level of talent will be pretty darn high. Hopefully they make the right selections and can get solid goaltending from either Demko, Nedeljkovic, Burke, etc.

The future still looks bright despite this teams failure.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I didn't have much hope for this team after watching them in the summer. I do like the base that this team is leaving us with, and I'm glad to finally see what the hype on Eichel was about, and that it was justified.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The future still looks bright despite this teams failure.

The 97 and beyond age groups are really strong, there will be more than a few players missing for the WJC teams because they will have players if the NHL early imo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This team probably over-achieved a tad. I mean, we were 3-0 heading to the Canada game, and lost by a goal after leading 1-0. We then go into the Russia game and lead 3-2 only to lose by essentially a goal. It wasn't the offense that ended up costing us, but discipline and special teams. A good performance that could have had a much better outcome if we had pulled out out that Canada game.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Lucia mismanaged the lineup and selections. Overmatched as a coach.

I completely disagree. I think he was dealt an average roster and he did the best he could with what he had. Adjustments were made but there were a fair amount of passengers.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Arguments can be made over his selection and lineups. O'Reagan didnt justify Lucias choice as top center and what would Compher have done if selected. Was it justified Hinostroza relegated to the fourth line. Thats hindsight but nonetheless.

Against top tier competition, the team wilted when the opponent gained the advantage. Lucia may have been dealt an average deck but coaching does not go unscathed.

GORGO

Dec 10, 2011
BABBITT, MN
Lucia mismanaged the lineup and selections. Overmatched as a coach.

Without question I couldn't agree more. With all the good young coach's out there how in the World did USA decide on Lucia?..He's under achived at Minny almost since the beginning, and he gets rewarded?
IMO without naming names, overplayed some players who should not of seen the amount of ice they saw. Other's didn't get the ice they should have. His decision making confusing at best. Bad decion making from top to bottem with this squad.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Arguments can be made over his selection and lineups. O'Reagan didnt justify Lucias choice as top center and what would Compher have done if selected. Was it justified Hinostroza relegated to the fourth line. Thats hindsight but nonetheless.

Against top tier competition, the team wilted when the opponent gained the advantage. Lucia may have been dealt an average deck but coaching does not go unscathed.

What would you have done differantly based on the roster chosen-especially because these last two losses were discipline/special teams issues?

jetkarma*

On the other hand, should be a strong team next year :

Erne-Eichel-Kelleher
Motte-Cammarata-Fasching
Hurley-Compher-Tuch
Schmaltz-Conner-Bailey
Cassels

Butcher-Santini
McCoshen-Vannelli
Hanifin-Brodzinski
DeAngelo

Demko