WJC: 2014 — U.S.A. Roster Talk

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I mean, solid résumé choice. I did kind of like hiring a coach like Leetch who had no ties (or biases) towards college hockey, but that may or may not have even been a factor b

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I mean, solid résumé choice. I did kind of like hiring a coach like Leetch who had no ties (or biases) towards college hockey, but that may or may not have even been a factor b

I was hoping the same. Obviously there's a heavy pull towards Minnesota and understandably so. Who else was on the candidates list?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA just made it official. Assistant coaches also named: Greg Brown (assistant coach), David Lassonde (assistant coach, goaltenders), Bob Motzko (assistant coach) Dan Muse (video coach).

Summer camp roster to be named in June.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'm surprised Housley won't be back but I'm intrigued to see how Lucia will do. I've always wondered why Lucia had never been involved with a US team. Perhaps seeing the process first hand with his son last year sparked some interest in giving it a shot.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Lucia has a great pedigree and coaches on the big ice. I can see the team constructed being very similar to this year's.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm surprised Housley won't be back but I'm intrigued to see how Lucia will do. I've always wondered why Lucia had never been involved with a US team. Perhaps seeing the process first hand with his son last year sparked some interest in giving it a shot.

I'm thinking Housley is trying to parlay his coaching job at the 2013 WJC into a higher profile job this upcoming season and didn't want to commit to another year at the helm of the WJC squad. He really doesn't have much coaching experience and did a fantastic job in his only high profile role to date so he may also be afraid to tarnish his crowning achievement so far by returning if the 2014 squad were to flame out. He's been very vocal about his desire to coach in the NHL and I think he's going to be very dogged in his pursuit this summer of a job in the NCAA/AHL/NHL ranks.

Lucia actually said on the conference call that he volunteered to coach last year's WJC squad but USAH thought he was a better fit for 2014. I'm fine with the choice as I've really learned to not think too much into these choices (although I'm still vehemently against the NTDP coaches getting these gigs) after the success of a guy like Housley and the failure of a guy like Blais (after the gold).

If it wasn't Housley, I was expecting the coach to be Mark Osiecki as he's paid his dues on three of the last four staffs (2 golds and 1 bronze). I'm good with Lucia but I still would like to see Vellucci or Osiecki get their shot, along with the return of Eaves.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm thinking Housley is trying to parlay his coaching job at the 2013 WJC into a higher profile job this upcoming season and didn't want to commit to another year at the helm of the WJC squad. He really doesn't have much coaching experience and did a fantastic job in his only high profile role to date so he may also be afraid to tarnish his crowning achievement so far by returning if the 2014 squad were to flame out. He's been very vocal about his desire to coach in the NHL and I think he's going to be very dogged in his pursuit this summer of a job in the NCAA/AHL/NHL ranks.

Lucia actually said on the conference call that he volunteered to coach last year's WJC squad but USAH thought he was a better fit for 2014. I'm fine with the choice as I've really learned to not think too much into these choices (although I'm still vehemently against the NTDP coaches getting these gigs) after the success of a guy like Housley and the failure of a guy like Blais (after the gold).

If it wasn't Housley, I was expecting the coach to be Mark Osiecki as he's paid his dues on three of the last four staffs (2 golds and 1 bronze). I'm good with Lucia but I still would like to see Vellucci or Osiecki get their shot, along with the return of Eaves.

I was wondering about Housley, too...I'm assuming he was the one who told them he didn't want to return?

Have they said who the coaches will be for the US for the 2013 WC...I guess they just wait until the season is over and they know who's available...but any predictions?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I was wondering about Housley, too...I'm assuming he was the one who told them he didn't want to return?

Have they said who the coaches will be for the US for the 2013 WC...I guess they just wait until the season is over and they know who's available...but any predictions?

Yeah, I'm sure Housley had the return offer the day they won the tournament last year. Probably just wants to try and focus on getting a big promotion and I can't fault him for that.

I answered your second question in the newly created USA WC thread. :nod:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

It's funny, Badgers were trying to run Eaves out of town after the team couldn't win a game missing their two best players. Now they are WCHA champs and the noise has quieted down a bit. Osiecki also is a stud coach. He was a big loss to the Badgers coaching staff.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
any chance eichel makes it next year? he's got a late b-day, i think - so it won't be his draft year...but he'll be a second year ntdp player...and jones was in the same boat a couple of years ago and the only reason he didn't make it was b/c of injury, no?

i'm guessing at this point it's not clear whether trouba will be back - i don't know enough about the jets to know if he'd make the team next year even if he did go pro.

this is o/t...but does anyone know if mccabe is going back to wisconsin next year (i know he's too old for WJC...but thought i'd ask in this thread in case anyone else knew).

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
any chance eichel makes it next year? he's got a late b-day, i think - so it won't be his draft year...but he'll be a second year ntdp player...and jones was in the same boat a couple of years ago and the only reason he didn't make it was b/c of injury, no?

i'm guessing at this point it's not clear whether trouba will be back - i don't know enough about the jets to know if he'd make the team next year even if he did go pro.

this is o/t...but does anyone know if mccabe is going back to wisconsin next year (i know he's too old for WJC...but thought i'd ask in this thread in case anyone else knew).

It would probably be a mistake for McCabe to go pro in my opinion. He could make 60k in the AHL, but I don't think he's close to the NHL right now. Up to him of course, but he's a few years away.

My feeling all along has been that Trouba stays another year in Michigan. He could probably play in the NHL next year, but I just have a suspicion he stays.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I think Eichel is almost a lock to make this squad next year. Jones was in the same situation and injury was the reason he was left off. Eichel is just so dynamic to leave off no matter his age. he looks to be one of the most dynamic forwards the US has developed in years, no reason to leave him home as long as he continues to show he can play at the highest level of skill.

as for Trouba, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I feel he turns pro. I just see Winnipeg pushing bigtime to get him to turn pro after this year. the kid has almost destroyed college hockey as a freshman, has the body and grit to be an NHLer right now so there is no strength or size concerns that he would need to stick for another year or two. I think Trouba 100% wants to stick for another year, but can he deal with the pressure of his NHL team wanting him to turn pro as the Jets would be crazy not to want this kid on their roster for next year.

I hope he stays at Michigan one more year, but my hope is biased as I would rather see him represent the US next year over wearing a NHL sweater.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I hate to have to type this news, but by all accounts it seems that Jacob Trouba will be signing with the Jets tomorrow...

I am extremely happy for the kid and I look forward to seeing what he can do at the NHL level, but damn I was hoping for at least 2 years at Michigan and another year for the US at the WJC...

I have to believe he will be a lock to play for the US at the WC this year with him likely signing tomorrow...

This is one of the first US teams in a long time that will be taking a beating from eligible players turning pro : Jones, Trouba, Matteau, Galchenyuk, ...and who knows who else!! for the first time in a long time, this US squad is looking like a Team Canada team who will have to rely on other players to help ease the loss of some of their top young guns.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Stefan Matteau is barely playing for New Jersey, so there is still a half decent chance he is available for this team. I think ideally the Devils would have him in Albany right now, but we all know how that works.

Sadly yes, this team is going to be decimated next year. Trouba, Jones, Galchneyuk at the very least are gone.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Trouba could play next year in the AHL and be released for WJC duty. The jets do have Bogo and Buff as RHD.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Trouba could play next year in the AHL and be released for WJC duty. The jets do have Bogo and Buff as RHD.

true, but I really cant see him playing that much in the AHL to be honest...he might start off in the AHL to get top pair minutes, but with his skillset and grit, he wouldnt stay down there too long..he is still a hopeful as you just never know as I believe the Hawks let Nick Leddy come 2 years ago as he was a pro player...John Carlson the year prior...and wasnt Faulk playing in the AHL when he was allowed to play in 2012??

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
true, but I really cant see him playing that much in the AHL to be honest...he might start off in the AHL to get top pair minutes, but with his skillset and grit, he wouldnt stay down there too long..he is still a hopeful as you just never know as I believe the Hawks let Nick Leddy come 2 years ago as he was a pro player...John Carlson the year prior...and wasnt Faulk playing in the AHL when he was allowed to play in 2012??

Faulk was with Carolina in 2012 and never played for the US.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sweden, Finland, and Canada will have teams at the Lake Placid camp this summer. Awesome news for all involved to see Canada added.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
you are correct.

not sure why I thought Faulk was released to play but Carolina refused to release him in 2012 which scares me about Trouba if he is up with the big club.

The story I heard was that Carolina said, "it's up to you." He was a fringe NHLer at that point, trying to lock in a roster spot for the season. Then Joni Pitkanen and some other guys got hurt to the point where Carolina needed him and it wasn't a choice anymore. Personally I don't think Winnipeg are signing Trouba and bringing him out of school to spend the entire season in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad