WJC: 2014 — U.S.A. Roster Talk

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
Happy with the game, we showed we can outplay them and if we can keep the intensity from the first half of the game going for a full sixty minutes we can beat anyone. Goaltending is the only problem now, Gillies can't let in goals like Mcdavid's where he was in butterfly and still got beat under the pads. I don't even think we need a Gibson like performance to win gold this year, we just need timely saves from hopefully Stolarz now.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
I don't see the Q enough but I can see why Erne dropped out of the first round. He's a decent player, but he's mostly a physical specimen. Not a whole lot of skill, and very much a north south keep it simple player.

That is pretty disappointing. When Tampa drafted him I thought we got a steal of the draft being able to pick him up in the 2nd. I don't think Gillies was that bad, the goals came from just a couple inches outside the crease, the biggest thing that killed US was the discipline in the third but overall you guys played a solid game. Hopefully we see each other again!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA just signed up for troubles. Russia in the QFs is a tough break. Medal rounds seem far away now.

No opponent is going to be easy moving forward in this tourney. Frankly, I don't think Russia is the worst opponent the U.S. could face. I think we match up well with them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As a Jets fan with my homer googles welded on tight I am impressed with Andrew Copp. I think we got a steal of a pick taking him in the 4th round last year.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
No opponent is going to be easy moving forward in this tourney. Frankly, I don't think Russia is the worst opponent the U.S. could face. I think we match up well with them.

One area we don't match up well with them is Vasilevski vs Gillies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Same. And you're going to have to beat good teams from this point forward. I think the Team USA forecheck could give Russia fits.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
That is pretty disappointing. When Tampa drafted him I thought we got a steal of the draft being able to pick him up in the 2nd. I don't think Gillies was that bad, the goals came from just a couple inches outside the crease, the biggest thing that killed US was the discipline in the third but overall you guys played a solid game. Hopefully we see each other again!
I don't think he was a steal, but I wouldn't take this tournament as a bad sign. He's still a pretty good player for where he was drafted.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Happy with the game, we showed we can outplay them and if we can keep the intensity from the first half of the game going for a full sixty minutes we can beat anyone. Goaltending is the only problem now, Gillies can't let in goals like Mcdavid's where he was in butterfly and still got beat under the pads. I don't even think we need a Gibson like performance to win gold this year, we just need timely saves from hopefully Stolarz now.

You are going to blame the goalie for that goal?
Gillies made two point blanks saves on McDavid prior to that goal being scored. Three blatant blown defensive assignments in the defensive end were what lost this game for the US.

If you make those mistakes against upper echelon teams it won't matter who is in net. Russia lives and dies on those types of plays. If the Americans shore up their play in tight by the crease they should contend for a gold medal.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I really like Eichel. I thought he was the best player on today. Erne was a no-show

O'Regan and Erne have been hands down the biggest disappointments on the team. I cant see how O'Regan warranted a spot on the team let alone top line role. Id shuffle the lines a little bit.

Barber - Eichel - Hartman

Erne - Hinostroza - Kerdiles

Move O'Regan to 13th forward.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Erne, McCoshen and O'Regan have been the biggest disappointment for me, in that order. Gillies also was outplayed by Fucale today but I think he could bounce back if he gets another chance. He's no Gibson but I think he can be good enough to win gold.

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
You are going to blame the goalie for that goal?
Gillies made two point blanks saves on McDavid prior to that goal being scored. Three blatant blown defensive assignments in the defensive end were what lost this game for the US.

If you make those mistakes against upper echelon teams it won't matter who is in net. Russia lives and dies on those types of plays. If the Americans shore up their play in tight by the crease they should contend for a gold medal.

I'm not saying it's completely his fault, we need our defense to clear the front of the net better. But that was one of those situations where him making the save could have been a game changer, in that spot he was trying to make himself big and let a puck squeak through him. If Mcdavid found a corner of the net it's different but if you're in butterfly and still let a puck go under the pad I see it as a weak one. Fucale was making those saves and that decided the game.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Thoughts on Will Butcher? How has he looked?

I actually have really liked the way he's played up until this game. I didn't think he really deserved a spot on this team and he had been proving me wrong up until a mediocre performance today.

Good skater, nice hands for a d-man and he's been solid enough in his own zone.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Gotta think the inexperience of this team is showing up right about now. You've only got a couple guys returning from last year, your best player isn't draft eligible until 2015...this group is on the whole a young, green group. This game offers a huge learning opportunity for them.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
So you don't disagree with what he said but you disagree with his right to say it because he was a failed GM?

Neat. Now what does your issue with Waddell's credibility have to do with Eichel and the USA WJC team?

You're not used to being challenged, are you? It shows.

Twist my words however you like. We all recognize Eichel's skill.

The difference between you and me is that you apparently regard a hack like Waddell as a useful judge of hockey talent.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Disappointing ending to the tournament.

Special teams failed this team in the last two games. The PP looked awful leading up to the tournament so I'm not surprised it looked that way when the competition was as good as the pre-tournament competition.

Gillies was a letdown. He never made a big stop and gave up another weak goal in this one. He's a great goalie prospect but he needs to get stronger down low.

Grzelcyk was the team's best d-man in the tournament but he had a rough game today. Tried too many cute no-look chip passes.

The team was about what we thought they would be. Good enough to be in every game but not talented enough to overcome too many mistakes and they made too many today. Should be a stronger roster next year though but the goalies will be the wildcard. This is the next step USAH has to take in its development is to increase the depth of its top end talent. While it sucks guys like Galchenyuk, Trouba, and Jones weren't available it should be the goal every year to lose players like that to the NHL but still medal. Still a long ways off from that though.

Last edited:

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Really thought this team could have made a run here. Would have liked to see Gillies really step up this game and play lights up but **** happens. How many guys are eligible to return next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad