Olympics: 2014 — Sweden Roster Discussion (Part II) Released, post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Yes, and i guess their forwards is also heavier than ours, which could create ripples on both ends of the ice. I guess our skating is worse than theirs even if we're lighter.

I guess substituting one of our oldies, Alfredsson or Franzén (healing slowly), might affect overall skating, especially if Johansson or Nyquist is the replacement. Our lightweight players are quite tall, Sedins and Eriksson. Not so big differences in weight. The one thing I want to see in the olympics is that our defense won't be vulnerable for hard forechecking, like we always seem to be. In that regard I would have wanted to see Brodin or Hedman. Weight, I suspect, didn't hurt the chances for Berglund, Ericsson and Silfverberg this time.

#93 Johan Franzén (LW) 34 189 101
#14 Patrik Berglund (C) 25 192 100
#19 Nicklas Bäckström (C) 26 184 97
#42 Jimmie Ericsson (LW/RW) 33 189 96
#20 Alexander Steen (LW) 29 182 96
#92 Gabriel Landeskog (LW/RW) 21 185 93
#11 Daniel Alfredsson (RW) 41 182 92
#18 Jakob Silfverberg (LW/RW) 23 186 91
#40 Henrik Zetterberg (C/LW) C 33 182 89
#21 Loui Eriksson (LW/RW) 28 188 89
#33 Henrik Sedin (C) A 33 188 86
#62 Carl Hagelin (LW) 25 182 85
#22 Daniel Sedin (LW) 33 186 84
#16 Marcus Krüger (C/W) 23 182 81

#15 Ryan Getzlaf (C) 28 193 100
#12 Patrick Marleau (LW)34 188 100
#61 Rick Nash (LW/RW) 29 193 100
#24 Corey Perry (RW) 28 191 95
#77 Jeff Carter (RW) 29 193 95
#16 Jonathan Toews (C) 25 188 94
#87 Sidney Crosby (C) 26 180 91
#20 John Tavares (C) 23 183 91
#22 Jamie Benn (LW) 24 188 91
#9 Matt Duchene (C) 23 180 91
#14 Chris Kunitz (LW) 34 183 90
#10 Patrick Sharp (LW/RW) 32 185 89
#37 Patrice Bergeron (C)28 188 86
#91 Steven Stamkos (C) 23 184 84

kg

101..............................................................................JF.................................................
100...meatballsy..................................................pm..........................PB..rn,rg............
99.............................................................................................................................................
98.............................................................................................................................................
97......................................NB...............................................................................................
96......................AS.....................................................JE..................................................
95...............................................................................................cp...........jc.............................
94........................................................................jto.............................................................
93..............................................GL.......................................................................................
92......................DA..................................................................................................................
91...sc,md..................jta.....................JS..............jb.............................................................
90..............................ck...........................................................................................................
89......................HZ.....................ps.....................LE.............................................................
88...............................................................................................................................................
87...............................................................................................................................................
86.....................................................................HS,pb..........................................................
85......................CH.....................................?........................................................................
84.......................................ss............DS................................................................................
83................................................................................................................................................
82................................................................................................................................................
81......................MK....................................................................................................................
80................................................................................................................................................
79...........................................................................................................................lanky.............

179...180...181...182...183...184...185...186...187...188...189...190...191...192...193...cm (metric system, ref: "Pulp Fiction")

Conclusion about swedish and canadian forwards: Swedish "meatballs" weigh more than canadian meatballs (how come i'm not surprised), real old swedes skate worse than their canadian counterparts while our firstline might be "lanky" and our fourthline "light" (-ning fast?). Canadians tend to be neither "lanky" or "meatballs"...more like hockey players "suppose" to be like...although some tall canadians seem vulnerable for a swedish meatball or two.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
95% of our players are used to and play against the biggest, badest and toughest players in the world on almost a nightly basis. Who amongst our defenseman is not used to play against the best opponents?

Furthermore it is more difficult to play "big-boy hockey" on big ice.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
95% of our players are used to and play against the biggest, badest and toughest players in the world on almost a nightly basis. Who amongst our defenseman is not used to play against the best opponents?

Furthermore it is more difficult to play "big-boy hockey" on big ice.

The canadians are used to play against them too...

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The canadians are used to play against them too...

Yes, but imo that has not got anything to do with your point though. Most of the players know each other well after years of playing in the same league. All of our defenseman are used to being matched up against to top lines/players of the other teams and I don't know that any one of them have been known to be out muscled :dunno:

I don't really get the point though, if it is to say that we are missing Hedman I am right there with you, on merit he should have been there. At the same time, despite what narrative the media pushes, hockey is won by the team and not by the player. One player will not be the difference between being out muscled or not to be.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Yes, but imo that has not got anything to do with your point though. Most of the players know each other well after years of playing in the same league. All of our defenseman are used to being matched up against to top lines/players of the other teams and I don't know that any one of them have been known to be out muscled :dunno:

I don't really get the point though, if it is to say that we are missing Hedman I am right there with you, on merit he should have been there. At the same time, despite what narrative the media pushes, hockey is won by the team and not by the player. One player will not be the difference between being out muscled or not to be.

Sure everyone is used to play against each other. I'm just speculating in what factors might get the upper hand in the games. There's a chance that our defense will be very mobile, makes crisp first passes and joins the attack. In some situations I just wish that Getzlaf - Perry - Nash - Weber could be handled by others than Hagelin - Krüger - Oduya.

Our defense is 10 kg lighter per player (top 6) while our top three forward lines are about equally heavy as the canadians. Edler and Tallinder even things out but how much will they be playing. In the olympics every opponent is better. Opponents weight can wear down a player. For example a defensive defenseman who suddenly must handle both big, fast, strong and skilled players. Size, Strength, Skating, Skill, Sense!

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Conclusion about swedish and canadian forwards: Swedish "meatballs" weigh more than canadian meatballs (how come i'm not surprised), real old swedes skate worse than their canadian counterparts while our firstline might be "lanky" and our fourthline "light" (-ning fast?). Canadians tend to be neither "lanky" or "meatballs"...more like hockey players "suppose" to be like...although some tall canadians seem vulnerable for a swedish meatball or two.

We REALLY need to get this tournament going already..

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

So you basically say that you recommend Eddie Läck as the Swedish starter:
b8349e4ac229b7be653dade52d8e90e0.jpg

crederer

Feb 12, 2007
I think sweeden is one of the better teams. Best d other than maybe canada.
I think standings will be:
Canada
sweeden
Russia
USA

Sif

Jan 2, 2010
So Huselius is developing into this quite annoying media personality. Now he's demanding Bäckström to be scratched apparently.

Wonder what Bäckström did to get on his bad side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
What the hell MÃ¥rts. No way is that constructive criticism. "Your too good at... everything so I can't find a role for you."

If I was Hedman I'd be thinking.. "They can go **** themselves"

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012

aLus

Jun 27, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
The sooner MÃ¥rts is gone, the better. Guy is too in love with non-NHL players.

He's better than Beng Ã…ke Gustafsson though. At least he gives the star players as much ice time as possible. When you think about it, leaving Brodin and Hedman off the team, who should've only had a 7-8 D role on the team anyway, isn't that big of a deal.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
I think that anyone that watched Detroit - Chicago yesterday is at least if not worried, a bit concerned if our D will suffice in the Olympics. None of the 4 were particularly good... But one of our 4 defenders (JO) looked like an AHL player. And that from have faced a depleted forward squad. Hope he, well, actually most of them just had a bad day. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it's a a big deal or not, to exclude Brodin (defensively) & Hedman (offensively) in our main d-core.

Gustafsson and Grossman are only reserves on old merits, frankly, it stinks. Hedman should definitely be at least a reserve. I don't buy that he then don't get the minutes he deserves, and instead therefore are left off the squad. Bull...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's as if MÃ¥rts has this view of how things are, reality be damned.

Sedins will play 20+ minutes a game no matter how they have looked this year, because they're his scoring line guys. Hedman isn't good enough because when MÃ¥rts views were formed, he probably wasn't. Wouldn't surprise me if he plays Franzen in a bigger offensive role than Steen because Detroit **** yeah.

I hope Sweden can find a way like they have in the past, but I don't have much faith in the guys behind the bench.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Haha... MÃ¥rts apparently hold grudge against him since his awful WC in 2011... What a joke. It's in the past now, for crying out loud! To have Erik Gustafsson, Niklas Grossman & Staffan Kronwall over Hedman? I'm stunned. I'm starting to regret that the Sedin's came over and saved his butt last spring.

Horrible, just horrible. And think that I thought MÃ¥rts was an ok coach, but it turnes out that he is just an ass, in good Swedish tradition.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Haha... MÃ¥rts apparently hold grudge against him since his awful WC in 2011... What a joke. It's in the past now, for crying out loud! To have Erik Gustafsson, Niklas Grossman & Staffan Kronwall over Hedman? I'm stunned. I'm starting to regret that the Sedin's came over and saved his butt last spring.
This thread is suffering from an whining-overdose right now.. You regret a wch-gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad