Olympics: 2014 — Sweden Roster Discussion (Part II) Released, post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaganomics

Apr 13, 2013
Uppsala
I know this will never happen because Ericsson is only on the team to start with to play with Kronwall, but if Karlsson - OEL doesn't work out I could see a good alternative in Ericsson anchoring Karlsson and OEL playing with Kronwall.

Yepp. Balance-wise the Karlsson-OEL pairing isn't perfect. But since the two other pairings are built on chemistry and both Karlsson and OEL are too good to be left off the team that is our only option.

If that pairing turns out to be terrible defensively (I dont think they will be) I could see MÃ¥rts shaking the pairings around rather quickly.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Yepp. Balance-wise the Karlsson-OEL pairing isn't perfect. But since the two other pairings are built on chemistry and both Karlsson and OEL are too good to be left off the team that is our only option.

If that pairing turns out to be terrible defensively (I dont think they will be) I could see MÃ¥rts shaking the pairings around rather quickly.

Pretty much, it is not even up to discussion. Edler with the Sedins on PP2 perhaps. The only thing to discuss its how much ToI that first pairing will get.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I think that OEL is the best defensive d-man we've got. It is just that over the last year he has been "allowed" to be more offensive since he hasn't been obliged to cover for his d-partner. It may take a couple of games, and it may seem like he is playing boring, but I think he will adapt his game perfectly to complement Karlsson. That said, the only downside imo is that he will not be able to contribute as much offensively as he could with another partner.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I think that OEL is the best defensive d-man we've got. It is just that over the last year he has been "allowed" to be more offensive since he hasn't been obliged to cover for his d-partner. It may take a couple of games, and it may seem like he is playing boring, but I think he will adapt his game perfectly to complement Karlsson. That said, the only downside imo is that he will not be able to contribute as much offensively as he could with another partner.

You mean then "natural" defensive D-man. Because the best we will have in the defensive department is the CHI constellation when it comes to right here and now.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
You mean then "natural" defensive D-man. Because the best we will have in the defensive department is the CHI constellation when it comes to right here and now.

Hjalmarsson; Yes. Oduya; No. Together they are good, but Oduya frequently gets caught out of position and looses battles. He's only in the squad, due to chemistry with Hjalmarsson.

On Chicago's first PK it's Hjalmarsson - Keith as well. Not Oduya, he's on the 2nd with Seabrook. I take OEL defensively over Oduya every day.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Hjalmarsson; Yes. Oduya; No. Together they are good, but Oduya frequently gets caught out of position and looses battles. He's only in the squad, due to chemistry with Hjalmarsson.

On Chicago's first PK it's Hjalmarsson - Keith as well. Not Oduya, he's on the 2nd with Seabrook. I take OEL defensively over Oduya every day.

I do not think that MÃ¥rts will split them up as then all rational to have Oduya on the team goes through the window.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
I do not think that MÃ¥rts will split them up as then all rational to have Oduya on the team goes through the window.

:huh:

"He's only in the squad, due to chemistry with Hjalmarsson." Did you miss that line?

I only stated that i would take OEL over Oduya both offensively & defensively in general.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Speaking of Keith and Seabrook, in 2010 that pairing was among the best in the world but didn't last a single game before Babcock broke them up and Seabrook was scratched as a young Doughty took his place next to Keith and those two were probably the best d-man pairing in the whole tournament.

This whole d-man chemistry thing is not reason enough to bring an established pairing in favour of more talented players IMO.

Hedman spent his whole NHL career up til recently playing difficult minutes in a shutdown role. It is a mistake to not bring him in any capacity.

He had a bad WC. It happens. So did Berglund at a young age, later he had a great one. Edler had a horrible WC tournament once. Landeskog had a subpar WC just last year, though he wasn't terrible.

I don't trust their scouting of NHL players. If Hedman was say a Detroit player I'm sure he would have made the team.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Sure in "general" but now we talk in specifics.

Well, I take OEL over Oduya if we speak in specifics as well. I would rather have a different pairing alongside Hjalmarsson in this Olympics. I don't see Olympic quality in Oduya. But apparently MÃ¥rts does. Hope he's right, and I'm not.

I don't trust their scouting of NHL players

Neither do I.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Well, I take OEL over Oduya if we speak in specifics as well. I would rather have a different pairing alongside Hjalmarsson in this Olympics. I don't see Olympic quality in Oduya. But apparently MÃ¥rts does. Hope he's right, and I'm not.

I do not like Oduya but if MÃ¥rts is going to stick with his choice it is just to stack him up with Hjalmarsson, that is the specific.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Since the Sedins are having a garbage year and Eriksson just came back from two concussions, my hope is that they are the third line, going up against lesser lines.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
What makes me mad about Sweden people is that Niklas Hjalmarsson and Johnny Oduya are good pair for the Olympics, I don't understand why you guys like Brodin and Hedman so much!

Oduya has no place in a tourny where the best of the best compete.

He would perhaps grab a spot on my Sweden C-team.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
What makes me mad about Sweden people is that Niklas Hjalmarsson and Johnny Oduya are good pair for the Olympics, I don't understand why you guys like Brodin and Hedman so much!

Really? That's a really low bar to getting mad.

I prefer Brodin, since he's more reliable in his own end, he reads the play better, he is a better skater (though Oduya is not a bad skater at all) he is also more calm in pressure situations. (could use his body a bit more, but he's getting there) Hedman is a more defensive liability, but his offensive skill vastly outnumbers Oduya. And he also has the size advantage.

But now it is what it is... And Oduya - Hjalmarsson know each other really well, so it could still work out in the end. They are certainly no rookies. They frequently get tough assignment in Chicago against top oppositions. So we just have to wait and see if it works in the Olympics as well. (Same could be said with Ericsson-Kronwall as well) MÃ¥rts put apparently lot on chemistry in this short tourney.
And I really hope it's a successful recipe.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't think the big question is how Oduya made the team. The big question IMO is how Tallinder made the team over Brodin and Hedman. Edler, I can understand, he's a superb skater, even though he has struggled and is a small question mark.

But performance wise, I think it is no question whatsoever that both Brodin and Hedman have performed much better than Tallinder, Edler and Oduya. I can only agree the NHL scouting by the Swedish staff has been questionable, as tradition ensues. Still, there are no absolute headscratchers in the lineup, which was a common theme with BÃ…G (like always bringing some scrubs like Rhodin, Hannula and Weinhandl).

These are the D-men I would've picked: Karlsson, OEL, Brodin, Kronwall, Edler, Hjalmarsson, Hedman and Oduya. I would've scratched Tallinder and Ericsson.

Last edited:

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Still, there are no absolute headscratchers in the lineup, which was a common theme with BÃ…G (like always bringing some scrubs like Rhodin, Hannula and Weinhandl).

It seems pretty obvious to me that there is an internal directive that you have to bring at least one non-NHL player to every tournament. Pretty stupid when it comes to the big tournaments, but maybe it's good for the morale of the Europe-based players.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It seems pretty obvious to me that there is an internal directive that you have to bring at least one non-NHL player to every tournament. Pretty stupid when it comes to the big tournaments, but maybe it's good for the morale of the Europe-based players.

Yeah I thinks it has to do a lot with politics/money. Keep the eurobased players happy enough to play the not-too-thrilling SWE-FIN-RUS-CZE tournamnets. I am happily suprised to see Joel Lundqvist off the team.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Are we too light on defense? Our third to sixth defender is almost 10 kg lighter than their canadian counterparts. Used those six players I believe will get the most icetime on each team.

#52 Jonathan Ericsson (D) 33 195 102 L
#4 Niklas Hjalmarsson (D) 26 191 94 L
#3 Oliver Ekman Larsson (D)22 188 86 L
#55 Niklas Kronwall (D) A 33 182 86 L
#27 Johnny Oduya (D) 32 182 86 L
#65 Erik Karlsson (D) 23 181 79 R

#6 Shea Weber (D) A 28 193 106 R
#76 P.K. Subban (D) 24 183 98 R
#19 Jay Bouwmeester (D) 30 193 96 L
#27 Alex Pietrangelo (D) 24 193 95 R
#8 Drew Doughty (D) 24 184 94 R
#2 Duncan Keith (D) 30 184 91 L

Last edited:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Are we too light on defense? Our third to sixth defender is almost 10 kg lighter than their canadian counterparts. Used those six players I believe will get the most icetime on each team.

Yes, and i guess their forwards is also heavier then ours, which could create ripples on both ends of the ice. I guess our skating is worse than theirs even if we're lighter.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012

Wow has Subban been heavy on the steoroids lately or what? (Or MacDonalds?

CptPicard

Mar 30, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Zetterberg
Steen-Backstrom-Alfredsson
Landeskog-Berglund-Eriksson
Franzen-Kruger-Hagelin

OEL-Karlsson
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Kronwall-Ericsson

Thoughts? That squad looks scary any way you look at it. I just think experience is the key in scoring lines (Alfie), could have placed Landeskog or Eriksson on the first two lines as well.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad