Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Hey, if it results in a gold medal, I'm for whatever it takes. I'm a Team Canada fan, first and foremost. What Crosby (or Kunitz) does in the tournament is a very, very distant second to Canada winning gold. For example, I'd rather Canada won gold with Crosby getting no points than seeing Crosby lead the tournament with 20 points but Canada finish out of the medals.

But I seem to be in the minority in thinking that way. Seems a lot of "Canadian fans" are more concerned with their team's stars getting ice time over other players, than they are about the ultimate goal of Team Canada winning gold.

Totally agree! :handclap:

CertainAffinity*

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/2/17/the-reports-of-p-k-subban-s-demise-have-been-greatly-exaggerated

Subban can be #1 on the depth chart...Enjoy.

And for :sarcasm: sakes, give the kid a chance! We want gold.

Also, I purchased a one-way ticket home for Kunitz

I have no problem with Subban as the 7th D, but the notion that the coaching staff should start ****ing around with the most consistently excellent component of our team (the defense, which has been pretty much flawless) is absurd.

The 3 pairs have been excellent. They will stay the same until one of them happen to underperform. Which doesn't seem particularly likely.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Not often that I agree with Kypreos but I agree with him there.

I am not sure. Part of me thinks this may be the U.S.'s year. Part of me has seen something similar at the WJR's many, many times - the U.S. dominates the weaker opponents than loses to Canada when we play a North American game.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I have no problem with Subban as the 7th D, but the notion that the coaching staff should start ****ing around with the most consistently excellent component of our team (the defense, which has been pretty much flawless) is absurd.

The 3 pairs have been excellent. They will stay the same until one of them happen to underperform. Which doesn't seem particularly likely.

I agree with this. I think our defense has arguably been the best in the tourny so far. Sure it hasn't been tested with as difficult of forwards as the USA has, but they have done SURPRISINGLY well converting their game to international ice. Actually yeah that's weird to think about...the best D on international ice so far has been the North American D....

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am not sure. Part of me thinks this may be the U.S.'s year. Part of me has seen something similar at the WJR's many, many times - the U.S. dominates the weaker opponents than loses to Canada when we play a North American game.

Thing I a most worried about is the fact that Price has not truly been tested as of yet.

Vinny Bombatz

Jan 16, 2012

Never said they should.

The thing that’s frustrating the habs base is that we get to see a ton of Subban and know what he’s capable of. The media can’t skew our portrayal of him because WE WATCH EVERY GAME. The kids a gem, he can be equally as affective as Doughty. Offensively and defensively. I’m a Subban fan, but first I’m a TC fan. That being said, knowing what he can bring, I want him given a chance so TC can win Gold…That’s all we care about! Him as the 7th should be a given. I won’t even get into how I think he should be in the top 6

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

I completely agree with you here. The D have been great and there's no reason to mess with what has been working.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Never said they should.

The thing that’s frustrating the habs base is that we get to see a ton of Subban and know what he’s capable of. The media can’t skew our portrayal of him because WE WATCH EVERY GAME. The kids a gem, he can be equally as affective as Doughty. Offensively and defensively. I’m a Subban fan, but first I’m a TC fan. That being said, knowing what he can bring, I want him given a chance so TC can win Gold…That’s all we care about! Him as the 7th should be a given. I won’t even get into how I think he should be in the top 6

That's just it. At his best PK can be as effective as DD. It's about consistency. I think it will come and he will be/is an elite D, but unless there is injury our D-lines are set.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Babcock is a huge moron to me. Canada need offense and he scratch Subban? Their forwards cannot score and the remaining resources are the D squad as we saw with the production of Doughty and Weber. PK to me brings far more offensively than Pietrangelo, you have to use him.

The way he used him last game wasn't too bright either.

TML FTW*

I feel like Babcock came in with his own pre-conceived opinions on the players and who was going to play and isn't into changing or adjusting.

I guess the best time to complain is after we lose (if we lose).

Is he like this in Detroit?

Chucktesta

Dec 10, 2013
Canada with only one Nhl'er vs Slovenia

Who would win a game between Slovenia and Canada with only one NHL player (assuming Crosby)?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Canada. We have a LOT more excellent players in The CHL, US colleges and The AHL than does Slovakia in The NHL, CHL, AHL, KHL and other European leagues. With that porous defence, a well-coached Canadian team with Crosby and a bunch of prospects, currently in The AHL, and soon to get their chance in The NHL, would beat Slovakia, with its currently non-existent defence.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I feel like Babcock came in with his own pre-conceived opinions on the players and who was going to play and isn't into changing or adjusting.

I guess the best time to complain is after we lose (if we lose).

Considering it took a bunch of injuries for Nyquist to get a fair shake, I'm tempted to say yes.

TML FTW*

Anyone else hate the fact that with the new Rogers/NHL deal Kypreos will be shoved down our throats? He will be the face of Canadian Hockey broadcasting.

Yes unfortunately. He's already showing up on HNIC.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
I don't really have a problem with Kunitz being back on the top line. If they're not going to sit him, then Crosby's wing is the only place he should be.

Crosby and Bergeron looked pretty good together, so we'll see how that goes.

My issue is the 4th line, which doesn't look to have much of an identity. Is it a scoring line? A shut-down line? A line that will just pick up the extra minutes to rest the other 3 lines?

Sharp/Nash - Tavares - MSL just feels like thrown-together left-overs, not a line build with a specific purpose or specific combination of skills.

I'm interested to see Benn get shifts with Getzlaf and Perry. Hopefully they do a better job of using him than they did with Duchene.

Its silly i think. Why just don put scorer ( tavares ) in that line? Bergeron is good all-around, but not q goal scorer. Kunitz is ******** at this level. And yeah, bergeron is usually a center so i dont ****ing understand what babs is trying to do. Make Sid sad?

Chucktesta

Dec 10, 2013
I said Slovenia, but point noted. I just think their team chemistry has been excellent so far, and that's a major issue Canada would have to deal with having only one NHL player.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, expect Crosby has been better and has generated more offensive chances than either of those two.

If anything, Babcock should do the exact opposite. Crosby is the best player on team Canada, by a mile. Get his minutes up to 20+ per game and quit coaching like it's a Pee Wee 'A' team, where everyone's parents will be upset if their kid doesn't play.

Babcock does not want to upset Kunitz's parents. Get it through your head.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
7 players from Slovenia are playin in the DEL (Germany)

Top Canadian
1 Adam Courchaine LW 46 24 39 63
2 Steven Reinprecht C 44 26 36 62
4 Kevin Clark RW 46 27 30 57
6 Blaine Down LW 43 24 23 47
7 Derek Hahn C 48 11 34 45
15 Connor James C 47 13 26
16 Michael Connolly LW 47 13 26
20 Ryan Ramsay C 44 11 28 39
21 Brent Aubin RW 41 18 21 39
22 Ryan Bayda LW 44 17 21 38

Slovenian
54 Rok Tičar C 43 7 23 30
90 Robert Sabolic RW 44 11 11 22
138 Jan Urbas C 34 7 10 17
169 Mitja Robar D 34 5 9 14
190 Marcel Rodman C 34 4 8 12
219 Ales Kranjc D 34 3 5 8
224 Ziga Jeglic C 8 3 5 8 0

So probably yes. Canada has alot more players in the KHL NLA or SEL for example.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Babcock is a huge moron to me. Canada need offense and he scratch Subban? Their forwards cannot score and the remaining resources are the D squad as we saw with the production of Doughty and Weber. PK to me brings far more offensively than Pietrangelo, you have to use him.

The way he used him last game wasn't too bright either.

Unless Subban can magically make the forwards score some goals..its not happening.

CK17

May 13, 2007

Left Cleary on the 2nd PP unit for 45 games despite being a minus player on the PP(0 PP goals scored when he was on the ice, 2 SHGs).

Bertuzzi got Top 6 ice time with Datsyuk for 35+ games despite completely neutralizing Datsyuk's talents(his splits are polar opposite without him.)

In the last 10 games before the break it was much better, the best players played, the kids got minutes.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
^Thanks for the answer to where in the world is Steven Reinprecht? DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad