Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
More then any line shuffling at this point, I'm hugely concerned that Canada is playing Latvia rather then the Swiss who i think would have been a much harder opponent and pushed Canada to bring their A game. Hopefully I'm wrong and Latvia plays amazing again (but 2 days back to back I think they'll be drained tomorrow). If thats the case, this really does not prepare Canada well for the US who will have a harder opponent in the Czechs. Anyway, no point worrying I guess, we'll see how it first goes with Latvia.

CK17

May 13, 2007
I wouldn't mind dressing just 12 forwards and sitting 2 guys. Would allow more continuity and they wouldn't have to worry about being benched if they make a mistake.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
More then any line shuffling at this point, I'm hugely concerned that Canada is playing Latvia rather then the Swiss who i think would have been a much harder opponent and pushed Canada to bring their A game. Hopefully I'm wrong and Latvia plays amazing again (but 2 days back to back I think they'll be drained tomorrow). If thats the case, this really does not prepare Canada well for the US who will have a harder opponent in the Czechs. Anyway, no point worrying I guess, we'll see how it first goes with Latvia.

I'm not worried about Latvia at all. We can thank our lucky stars it's only Latvia. If Babcock is still trying to catch lightning in a bottle, by line juggling, fine. He did that vs Germany prior to the QF's vs Russia in Vancouver and it worked out Great. But, if that's the case why send mixed messages? Why pretend ur done juggling lines???

AND ( unless he's banged up ) why would taking Duchene outa the lineup be good prep for the Great Skating Teams? It's DUMB!

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure Babcock is giving Kunitz one last chance..he doesn't do well Duchene steps in on the top line, with Kunitz as 14th and Sharp/St.Louis as 13th with Tavares-Nash

Simple.

That's how we tried to comfort ourselves last game. It didn't happen. But thanks for your optimism :laugh:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Kind of funny how Babcock almost scoffed at the idea of breaking up a line that's rolling just to try and get another 1 going; then that's exactly what he went and did. Why do I get the feeling there's too many damn cooks in the kitchen right now...

Kind of screwed 2 lines up really, because Getzlaf and Perry really didn't involve Tavares ( DUCHENE ) in anything they were doing, and it showed. Then there's scattering Bergy and Benn? I don't get it, but whatever.

He said it's time to quit messing around and let em go, so lets do that I guess? Then again, it almost seems like Babcock says things just to do the opposite at this point.

Just stop ****ing with it already. Please! :laugh:

Bergeron looked good with Crosby...And Tavares wasn't playing with Getz and Perry...JT's been centering the 4th line from the get go...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Forwards need to step the **** up. It's Latvia....if you can't score some goals tomorrow, just pack your bags and give your spot to CHL'ers like McDavid and Drouin...They might do a better job.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Subban fans sure hate Babcock. :laugh:

He's a great coach and the right coach for this team.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Forwards need to step the **** up. It's Latvia....if you can't score some goals tomorrow, just pack your bags and give your spot to CHL'ers like McDavid and Drouin...They might do a better job.

Uhh, like they did this past world juniors? :help:

CoachBrisebois

May 7, 2013
I was against Canada in Vancouver because they cheated (small ice), and I'm kinda annoyed that the three best players TC has aren't playing together

Tavares-Crosby-Subban FTW!

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Some strange conclusions to draw out of all that article, featuring misinterpreted advanced stats nerdery set to an obvious pro-PK agenda:

What has been misinterpreted?

-Duncan Keith is worse at defense than PK Subban. No.
-Not only that, but Duncan Keith is the least-reliable defenseman on Team Canada's roster. Hahaha. No.

Why? Because you say so? Stats and facts indicate you're wrong.

-No mention of Subban's giveaway to takeaway ratio, which is needless to say FAR worse than Weber's and AP's, yet goes on to say Subban's giveaways are mythical.
Are either Weber or AP as skilled offensively as Subban, Karlsson or Doughty? Do they consistently lead the team's rush down the ice? Are AP & Weber pseudo point guards on the ice (puck on their sticks at all times, making plays?) Or are they the players who fire it off the glass, pass it to the forwards and get ready for plays to be made by the teammates? CONTEXT is important!

-No mention of Drew Doughty carrying the offensive load for the team's defense instead of Subban just fine thank you very much.
Has Subban been given the opportunity to carry the offence?

CertainAffinity*

Not at all....Carter is lazy defensively sometimes. that line was a minus one verse Finns, and they left Toews behind the Finn net all by himself, then when a Finn took the puck, he Carter just waved at the guy with his stick and let him blow past him, Finns almost scored as a result ( which woulda made that line -2 ....Carter is NOT a monster defensively and he doesn't match up well against guys like Ovi and Malkin ...Marleau , Toews and Nash would work harder in all three zones... a la Richards, Toews and Nash in Vancouver

Then we disagree. I think Carter has been great defensively. Marleau has been the most suspect defensively at times, but all three of those guys have been rock solid.

Toews and Nash started Game 1 and Game 2 together. He was moved off that line for a reason. He was outperformed by Carter.

I say put Nash on the bottom line. The same skills will do him well playing alongside Tavares.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
No reason what so ever to not dress subban...hamhuis is useless playing 3 minutes a game. I wonder if this is somehow Claude Juliens doing.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Uhh, like they did this past world juniors? :help:

It was a joke. Although...the way some of our forwards have played, I wouldn't be shocked to see McDavid, Drouin etc perform better than them.

Our team plays on the outside too much. Puck possession means squat when you can't get quality shots from between the dots...nobody even goes to the front of the net...

Disappointed in Nash, Perry, Benn etc. They aren't playing the role they were selected for..

Man up and go to the net just like Backes, Oshie and JvR do for USA.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thn-in-sochi-believe-it-or-not-kunitz-back-on-top-line/

I'm not really riding the anti-Babcock train, but this quote annoys me to no end:

“We thought we had a real good game out of Benn, Bergeron and Crosby last game,†Babcock said. “We just feel we need Getzie’s line to be good as well, so we’re just trying to get everyone going as best we can.â€

There is no reason for Getzlaf's line to be given preference over Tavares' line. Trying to force success on one centre while another is clearly outplaying him in limited opportunities is just a terrible strategy.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thn-in-sochi-believe-it-or-not-kunitz-back-on-top-line/

I'm not really riding the anti-Babcock train, but this quote annoys me to no end:

There is no reason for Getzlaf's line to be given preference over Tavares' line. Trying to force success on one centre while another is clearly outplaying him in limited opportunities is just a terrible strategy.

Babcock is an idiot. If Canada wins Gold, they won despite him, not because of him.

Keep playing Tavares for 10-12 minutes, scratch Subban and Duchene, play Kunitz more...

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I still can't believe Chris Kunitz actually made this team. When I first heard of the prospect of having him on the team I thought "No way they would do that". I was wrong. He has been underwhelming to say the least.

Ill gladly eat my words if Kunitz steps it up and starts performing, but as of now, i'm much more confident in Duchene and MSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad