Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Nobody was complaining about Benn

People were complaining about Kunitz/Carter/Nash and that was 100% justified given that MSL/Giroux/Hall were left behind.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Great game Canada.

Our 2nd and 3rd lines: Benn-Getzlaf-Perry & Carter-Toews-Marleau have been OUTSTANDING. Both lines have dominated the forecheck. I was skeptical about Carter on this team but he has been what Rick Nash used to be: size, speed.

As for Jamie Benn, if you have ever seen this guy play this year in Dallas, you know he is a high quality player. My dad was at a Leafs-Stars game, was generally looking out for Seguin (cause I went to school with him), but came away from the game most impressed by Benn's overall skillset. He can shoot, pass, skate, check.

I also wondered if Perry would be a liability on the big ice. Here I was absolutely wrong. His cycles with Getzlaf have been great. THe offence hasnt really been there but they just run through every team

Obviously our 6 D have also stood out. I thought Vlasic was mediocre against Austria and Norway, and my conclusion with him is that there is not much offence, but the stronger the teams get, he doesnt wither defensively. A rock.

Doughty, Kieth and Weber are showing why they are all top 10 defenceman in the NHL. Pietrangelo has been underwhelming, mainly because he has been reduced to a 3rd pairing, and he has been solid

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

People were complaining about Kunitz/Carter/Nash and that was 100% justified given that MSL/Giroux/Hall were left behind.

There was a handful of people who didn't believe Benn deserved a spot. Nonetheless, it seems like the forwards who took some heat (Benn, Nash, and Carter) stepped it up this tournament and we are now one win away from Gold :yo:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
So our defense has been incredible, but come next olympics Keith will be 34 and Weber 32. Obviously on the right side we'll still have Pietrangelo/Doughty/Subban and potentially still Weber playing at a very high level but what do we have coming up on the left side? Ryan Murray and who else?

CertainAffinity*

This roster is undefeated and guaranteed itself at least a silver, and will be favorites for gold.

Criticisms of the roster selection are getting increasingly ridiculous as they continue to succeed.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So our defense has been incredible, but come next olympics Keith will be 34 and Weber 32. Obviously on the right side we'll still have Pietrangelo/Doughty/Subban and potentially still Weber playing at a very high level but what do we have coming up on the left side? Ryan Murray and who else?

I think the Americans next Olympics (if NHL participates) is going to have just as scary a D, maybe better with Trouba and Jones emerging. Those 2 players are Norris calibre back enders with size and speed, scary scary.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think the Americans next Olympics (if NHL participates) is going to have just as scary a D, maybe better with Trouba and Jones emerging. Those 2 players are Norris calibre back enders with size and speed, scary scary.

Yup with gibson coming up too their goaltending depth will be good as well.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
This roster is undefeated and guaranteed itself at least a silver, and will be favorites for gold.

Criticisms of the roster selection are getting increasingly ridiculous as they continue to succeed.

I tend to agree. That being said, I will not stop harping what I have done for every game since the Finland game:

If Dan Hamhuis is not going to play as the 7D, Subban should be that person. Babcock is clearly not going to use him to protect a lead, but surely we would need Subban if we get down a goal. Hasnt happened yet, but there is still one big hurdle to climb

Wont happen, but this is a fact.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Noted that St. Louis only saw the ice today in the warm-up. I'm kind of curious who Babcock would have sat all game if Stamkos had never gotten hurt and St. Louis had never been on the team.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Noted that St. Louis only saw the ice today in the warm-up. I'm kind of curious who Babcock would have sat all game if Stamkos had never gotten hurt and St. Louis had never been on the team.

Duchene most definitely. Bergeron would center the 4th line, and Stamkos would have been with Crosby.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There was a handful of people who didn't believe Benn deserved a spot. Nonetheless, it seems like the forwards who took some heat (Benn, Nash, and Carter) stepped it up this tournament and we are now one win away from Gold :yo:

Nash really hasn't done much, and was largely invisible in today's game except for taking all the time in the world loading up 2 shots only to hit the same US player with it both times.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
It was interesting to see that our big forward line was the most dominant this game after all this talk about speed, and that USA's speedy guys were shut down effectively.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I tend to agree. That being said, I will not stop harping what I have done for every game since the Finland game:

If Dan Hamhuis is not going to play as the 7D, Subban should be that person. Babcock is clearly not going to use him to protect a lead, but surely we would need Subban if we get down a goal. Hasnt happened yet, but there is still one big hurdle to climb

Wont happen, but this is a fact.

Subban has to be hurt, the only way it makes sense. Babcock isn't completely stupid.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I thought Carter was one of the best forwards today, back checking, skating hard on the fore check, forcing turnovers, used on both special teams. Where are those who were saying he's a useless floater who's only good for goal scoring? Maybe some of those ill informed people and their misconceptions are being enlightened as to what he's capable of doing.

And for as much crap Crosby has been getting in this tournament, he's been setting up plenty of chances and had a few of his own, they just ran into a brick wall in net today. I have a feeling that we're going to see his best performance on Sunday.

CertainAffinity*

Subban has to be hurt, the only way it makes sense. Babcock isn't completely stupid.

Or he just has a defensive mindset about this tournament, which has worked well for him thus far. The team is undefeated. His decisions (and the roster decisions) have worked, and therefore been the right ones.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I thought Carter was one of the best forwards today, back checking, skating hard on the fore check, forcing turnovers, used on both special teams. Where are those who were saying he's a useless floater who's only good for goal scoring? Maybe some of those ill informed people and their misconceptions are being enlightened as to what he's capable of doing.

And for as much crap Crosby has been getting in this tournament, he's been setting up plenty of chances and had a few of his own, they just ran into a brick wall in net today. I have a feeling that we're going to see his best performance on Sunday.

Carter was a beast in the 1st and parts of the 3rd. I thought he struggled a bit in the 2nd.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Or he just has a defensive mindset about this tournament, which has worked well for him thus far. The team is undefeated. His decisions (and the roster decisions) have worked, and therefore been the right ones.

It's been beaten to death so I'm not even going to respond to the argument you've presented. I'll just say watch after the tournament is over, they'll report a reason he wasn't playing and it will be an injury.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Carter was a beast in the 1st and parts of the 3rd. I thought he struggled a bit in the 2nd.

Carter made some horrible decisions btu they didn't come back to hurt him in the long run thakn goodness. But overall he did have a strong game, just some gaffs in the defensive zones on coverage switches and in the offensive zone he turned it over unnecessarily a couple times. Splitting hairs though in the overall picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad