GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

Ron*

It's been a brutal last 3 months. I was impaneled on a jury trial for a criminal case that lasted 83 days. I would have killed for hockey while I was sitting at home all this time stuck going to court every day. The trial ended on Friday, the CBA agreement reached Sat/Sun right and now I have to go back to work traveling for 3 weeks right as the season resumes. :laugh:

Hopefully hotels finally get NBC Sports Network.

That would destroy my business. No way I can spend that amount of time on a jury! You couldn't get an excuse? Does your job pay for you being on jury duty? I used to work for the government, that would have been a nice vacation away from my job. :laugh:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Assuming the rules haven't changed for calling players up and sending players down from the AHL. The Kings are gonna have decisions to make on some key prospects.

With the lockout over (god, it feels good to type that) Dwight King, Thomas Hickey, Jake Muzzin, Marc-Andre Cliche, Richard Clune, & Andrew Campbell are all on the Kings roster right now.

There's no doubt Kinger is staying. However... In order for anyone else to be sent back to Manchester they'll all have to clear waivers. There's a good chance a few of the guys wouldn't make it back to Manchester. So it's decision time, especially on Hickey! IMO we keep him. He's been the best defenseman on the Monarchs this season and it's time to give his cup of coffee, even if it's as a 7th d-man.

Hopefully sitting in the press box that much doesn't hurt his development but at this point we only have 3 options. The 7th d-man, trade him, or let him go (no chance imo he wouldn't get claimed on waivers)

Then there's Muzzin and Cliche. I think Muzzin might be the odd man out. There's a chance he could clear waivers, but it's defiantly a risky move. Cliche I think can be a solid 4th line center and penalty killer in the NHL. But with Fraser locked up for 2 years it's gonna be hard for him to get in there. He could make a nice extra forward for the Kings.

IMO, There's a good chance that Campbell and Clune would clear waivers.

Again, this is all assuming the rules haven't changed in the new CBA.

I see us gambling on Cliche again in as far as risking the loss of one of our talented kids. We have been there before with him and I think he would clear waivers. If not we are loaded with players like him or players who are capable of playing his spot.

Hickey and Muzzin are priorities but MF sure likes Campbells development so who knows?

Time will tell but we are definitely overloaded right now.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
That would destroy my business. No way I can spend that amount of time on a jury! You couldn't get an excuse? Does your job pay for you being on jury duty? I used to work for the government, that would have been a nice vacation away from my job. :laugh:

Work paid for 60 days. I tried getting out of it, but it took 6 weeks to impanel a jury for this case and I came in on the last day of that process. I was on the last pool of 60 jurors and the 60th of 60 to get interviewed on a Friday with one jury slot left to fill. If they didn't pick me they were going to have to stretch into a 7th week and pull another 60 jurors. They dismissed others with similar hardships but when they got to me I was SOL. Bad luck and horrible timing.

I wish I could say it was an interesting process but it was brutal. I was an alternate as well so no deliberations for me. Just had to sit there, hear it all and leave. :cry:

Word to the wise, if you can defer your on-call service to the week of Thanksgiving, do it. Only 3 days of call-ins and during that week they did not actually call in any jurors. Christmas and New Years weeks were good as well. Avoid scheduling service for early-mid December. The weeks before Christmas it was a jury-fest. They called in 400-500 jurors a week.

Anyway... thankfully it's over and now I can get back to watching some hockey! :)

Ron*

Work paid for 60 days. I tried getting out of it, but it took 6 weeks to impanel a jury for this case and I came in on the last day of that process. I was on the last pool of 60 jurors and the 60th of 60 to get interviewed on a Friday with one jury slot left to fill. If they didn't pick me they were going to have to stretch into a 7th week and pull another 60 jurors. They dismissed others with similar hardships but when they got to me I was SOL. Bad luck and horrible timing.

I wish I could say it was an interesting process but it was brutal. I was an alternate as well so no deliberations for me. Just had to sit there, hear it all and leave. :cry:

Word to the wise, if you can defer your on-call service to the week of Thanksgiving, do it. Only 3 days of call-ins and during that week they did not actually call in any jurors. Christmas and New Years weeks were good as well. Avoid scheduling service for early-mid December. The weeks before Christmas it was a jury-fest. They called in 400-500 jurors a week.

Anyway... thankfully it's over and now I can get back to watching some hockey! :)

Wow, what a brutal story. I have been on the "coffin corner" of jury selection as well, just missed me.

My God. Having been in the criminal justice system, I know what you are talking about. Trials can be incredibly boring. Long trials and you want to shoot yourself.

Hockey is my therapy. Seeing the Kings raise the banner? It's gonna be awesome.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
This season's for you big D:

393167_10200304730881857_1911883414_n.jpg

The person replacing David has huge shoes to fill. Hopefully it's someone who isn't gimmicky and handles the arena call as professionally as David did.

Ron*

The person replacing David has huge shoes to fill. Hopefully it's someone who isn't gimmicky and handles the arena call as professionally as David did.

Probably Eric Smith, in the short run at least. He did a good job with the Clippers recently.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Probably Eric Smith, in the short run at least. He did a good job with the Clippers recently.

I would be o.k. with that. Just won't be the same though :( But he is likely the best replacement. Love his work with the Dodgers.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

Yes. Give them a recording of the Ducks guy and say, " don't do that".

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
So expect a busy DL on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Presser is coming soon without a doubt.

It will be nice to hear things from DL as I know he has allot to talk about.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I certainly hope that the Kings will honor David Courtney with a moment of silence before raising the banner.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I certainly hope that the Kings will honor David Courtney with a moment of silence before raising the banner.

I have taken it for granted that they would but maybe a few fan emails are in order? A phone call or two to the front offices and or ticket reps for those so inclined?

I am going to ask.

Lead Role in a Cage

Mar 27, 2008
Finally.

The start of the season will depend heavily on Quick and how he has recovered, perhaps not only from his injury but from the Cup and the Smythe.

If he can stay close to how he performed last season, it will give the Kings a chance to get rolling. I am a bit uncomfortable about a Stanley Cup hangover and a lockout mixed together to start a shortened season where you pretty much need to be good to great, right out of the gate.

Then again, the Kings are used to have a 6-7 months break form hockey as April has been the standard exit date. And I am very eager to see what Sutter can do with this group of players coming off such a spectacular 2012.

A worldclass G, superb D, elite C depth, and plenty of skill and grit in the organization should eventually lead us to contention one way or the other, assuming of course injuries won't play too great a role in January, February and onwards. Hopefully the Kings style of play will prevent this from having too great of an impact.

Again, finally. Good times in parallel life is back.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon

Couldn't use the Curb Your Enthusiasm way to get out? (Sorry if anyone is upset if you understand my reference, I am just joking around.)

At any rate, I am pumped there is hockey again. It would be nice if the NHL said to cable companies that NHL Centre Ice is to be given away for free this year. If I am not in the arena opening night (which depends on finances and whether the banner raising is on a weekend), it might be the only way to actually see the game. If it happens to be a Saturday night, and it isn't the only game that night, us Canadians without Centre Ice will be SOL. HNIC has exclusive rights to games on Saturday and you can bet that if the Leafs or Habs are playing, they will be on the early game and one of the Western teams will be the late game.

But I am excited that I will be able to go to Edmonton and see the defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings (it feels so good to say that) play. As a fanbase, us Kings fans might be the only team that isn't collectively angered by the lockout. Quite honestly, I am not angry with them, but if last lockout was any indication, the Oilers will set a few games aside with dirt cheap tickets. Last time around it was the Kings games in Edmonton that had 50% off. I'm hoping it is the same this year.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon

It might sound terrible, but it would be nice (if they had tons of recordings of him) to splice together and make the entire banner raising ceremony done by David Courtney. It would be a nice tribute, then again it might sound terrible and be a poor tribute and offend the family and his memory.

I hope that they do something like Jeter did with the Yankees and continue using a David Courtney clip somewhere. I'm not sure whether its the opening Your Los Angeles Kings bit or announcing a Kopitar goal or what, but it would be nice if a clip is forever played at some point during a Kings game.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I will always be a diehard Kings fan, but I almost feel like booing both teams when they hit the ice opening night.

What a joke this entire fiasco has been. Thank God we will never have to see Fehr's face around hockey again!!

I have no issue whatsoever with Fehr but it's time for Bettman to get the hell out!

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Couldn't use the Curb Your Enthusiasm way to get out? (Sorry if anyone is upset if you understand my reference, I am just joking around.)

At any rate, I am pumped there is hockey again. It would be nice if the NHL said to cable companies that NHL Centre Ice is to be given away for free this year. If I am not in the arena opening night (which depends on finances and whether the banner raising is on a weekend), it might be the only way to actually see the game. If it happens to be a Saturday night, and it isn't the only game that night, us Canadians without Centre Ice will be SOL. HNIC has exclusive rights to games on Saturday and you can bet that if the Leafs or Habs are playing, they will be on the early game and one of the Western teams will be the late game.

But I am excited that I will be able to go to Edmonton and see the defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings (it feels so good to say that) play. As a fanbase, us Kings fans might be the only team that isn't collectively angered by the lockout. Quite honestly, I am not angry with them, but if last lockout was any indication, the Oilers will set a few games aside with dirt cheap tickets. Last time around it was the Kings games in Edmonton that had 50% off. I'm hoping it is the same this year.

Mighta been cause the Kings were terrible last time around. That does mean you might get to see the Ducks play for cheap though:D

(ahh that felt good)

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I was on jury duty in 1997 and again in 2002, 5 years apart to the month. I've since become self employed and thankfully didn't get called again like I feared because I don't get paid if I don't work. From what I've heard, a situation like that will get you excused since you have no employees to do the job.

I had a 3 day armed robbery trial the first time and we let the guy go because of mega police bungle ups, a hysterically sobbing woman witness, an elderly man witness who thought the guy was 6 feet tall (he was 6'6") and one cop who was at the scene but lost his notebook. The second time I wanted to spend as much time as possible because I hated my job but the one case they called me for was only expected to be 1 day and I wanted back in the pool so I could get into a longer court case so I looked vague and disinterested when I got called up and was rejected. That was the end of my career as a juror...so far! I did find it tedious but also fascinating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad