GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I will always be a diehard Kings fan, but I almost feel like booing both teams when they hit the ice opening night.

What a joke this entire fiasco has been. Thank God we will never have to see Fehr's face around hockey again!!

Fehr did his job and got the players a far better deal than anyone would have thought once it was obvious the owners were going for the kill.

My hope is this is the beginning of the end for Bettman.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

No question target is 50-game, not 48-game, season. Speculation is it would be 5 games vs 4 division rivals and 3 games vs 10 Conf rivals.

I've read a few more TSN and CBC tweets that indicate the 50 game season and a 1/15 start

The 64.5 cap and losing Penner , Gagne and perhaps another extra will give the Kings plenty of space going forward. They also have the option to buy out a contract or 2 and might do that, esp if they want to bring up one of the young Dman.

I wonder if they have to wait for the owners to ratify this (TSN Says tuesday) for training camp to start?

bobafettish*

wonder how the shortened season will work out, if the kings inept offense of old show up for a few weeks the kings could miss the playoffs.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am just glad that we get to see this team in action. A healthy squad and one of the very few times a complete Stanley Cup winning roster has returned to the ice. At least we can see something of an encore from the most successful Kings team we've ever iced.

bobafettish*

crazy how the kings were under .500 at the halfway point and at the end of the season last year. :naughty:

thank you loser point.

Ron*

I wonder if they have to wait for the owners to ratify this (TSN Says tuesday) for training camp to start?

Yes, after the penalty language for teams not properly reporting HRR was mysteriously missing from the owner's offer 10 days ago, both sides said the packages had to be signed, sealed, and delivered before it can all be declared a done deal.

So I would assume we would have to wait for training camp to start. But with these two morons, nothing is a given.

Ron*

sxqd3v1ag43mm4irwzlq_normal.jpeg

LA Kings @LAKings
First order of business: raise banner.

jiqfbp0qv88z2646kq26_normal.jpeg

Ron M @RonM11
@LAKings Wrong. First order of business: give your fans something in exchange for their patience through this entire ordeal.

And a "Thank You, Fans!" decal on the ice just isn't going to cut it. That cutesy, edgy Kings Twitter account is going to wear thin on me if they continue to ignore the fans' smoldering anger in all of this.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I am just glad that we get to see this team in action. A healthy squad and one of the very few times a complete Stanley Cup winning roster has returned to the ice. At least we can see something of an encore from the most successful Kings team we've ever iced.

THis!

I can't wait to see a Sutter team from training camp onward. And that core, those players critical to the teams longterm success are all young and locked up for years. As black and white as I am about hockey , I really don't see many weaknesses on the team, and esp in the areas that you need studs in for Cup runs , Goalie, Dman and top 2 centers./
Other than Pittsburgh, I don't think any team can match what Kopi and Richards bring on both sides of the puck at center

If it is a 50 game season, 25 you wouild think are home games. Is that possilbe at the STaples? Isn't there a Grammy issue in Feb? Normally the 40 games home are divided among 7 mos or so. How will they fit them all in?

Ron*

If the Kings with the Cup again, Sutter will have to distinction to be the only coach in NHL history to have won two Cups without having to work a full season either time.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I said his spot on the roster, not his spot on the depth chart.
The Kings' roster is going to be pretty full anyway. I would be surprised if Loktionov even gets called up.

Kopitar
Brown
Williams
Richards
Carter
Penner
Gagne
Stoll
Lewis
King
Nolan
Fraser
Clifford
Westgarth
Richardson

The Kings still have 14 forwards even if Kopitar misses some time.

Ron*

If Chicago's PP hurts the Kings this year you guys may be singing a different song.

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
sxqd3v1ag43mm4irwzlq_normal.jpeg

jiqfbp0qv88z2646kq26_normal.jpeg

And a "Thank You, Fans!" decal on the ice just isn't going to cut it. That cutesy, edgy Kings Twitter account is going to wear thin on me if they continue to ignore the fans' smoldering anger in all of this.

well, last time we got the Robitaille signed jersey.:sarcasm:

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Assuming the rules haven't changed for calling players up and sending players down from the AHL. The Kings are gonna have decisions to make on some key prospects.

With the lockout over (god, it feels good to type that) Dwight King, Thomas Hickey, Jake Muzzin, Marc-Andre Cliche, Richard Clune, & Andrew Campbell are all on the Kings roster right now.

There's no doubt Kinger is staying. However... In order for anyone else to be sent back to Manchester they'll all have to clear waivers. There's a good chance a few of the guys wouldn't make it back to Manchester. So it's decision time, especially on Hickey! IMO we keep him. He's been the best defenseman on the Monarchs this season and it's time to give his cup of coffee, even if it's as a 7th d-man.

Hopefully sitting in the press box that much doesn't hurt his development but at this point we only have 3 options. The 7th d-man, trade him, or let him go (no chance imo he wouldn't get claimed on waivers)

Then there's Muzzin and Cliche. I think Muzzin might be the odd man out. There's a chance he could clear waivers, but it's defiantly a risky move. Cliche I think can be a solid 4th line center and penalty killer in the NHL. But with Fraser locked up for 2 years it's gonna be hard for him to get in there. He could make a nice extra forward for the Kings.

IMO, There's a good chance that Campbell and Clune would clear waivers.

Again, this is all assuming the rules haven't changed in the new CBA.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
With Martinez's recent bouts with injury, I am sure we will keep Hickey. I am sure Dean will get creative.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Massive no to giving Loki a shot. When Kopitar returns Loki gets dumped and gets traded anyway. Just give Clifford some ice time on the 4th line till Kopitar returns

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Only thing I've heard so far is the first overall restrictions have been changed in the draft. Now the 14 lowest teams are eligible for first overall. The odds remain the same, but any team that wins it of the bottom 14 can move right up to first.

Awesome. No more punishing teams like Calgary who try every year to make the playoffs and end up in no mans land

Ron*

Awesome. No more punishing teams like Calgary who try every year to make the playoffs and end up in no mans land

Good point. But I still maintain Calgary would be better off stripping itself down and starting over.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
It's been a brutal last 3 months. I was impaneled on a jury trial for a criminal case that lasted 83 days. I would have killed for hockey while I was sitting at home all this time stuck going to court every day. The trial ended on Friday, the CBA agreement reached Sat/Sun right and now I have to go back to work traveling for 3 weeks right as the season resumes. :laugh:

Hopefully hotels finally get NBC Sports Network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad