GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Possible Lineups without Kopitar

Penner-Carter-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Or:
Gagne-Carter-Brown
Penner-Richards-Williams
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Or:
Penner-Carter-Brown
Gagne-Richards-Williams
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Or:
Gagne-Carter-Williams
Penner-Richards-Brown
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Brown-Lokti-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
Penner-Stoll-Lewis/King
King/Lewis-Fras-Nolan
Clifford/Westy

You gotta give Lokti a real shot. He's already asked for a trade. If he does well, maybe he sticks. It would at least up his trade value. Keep the Flyers together. They have chemistry and a healthy Gagne >>>>>>>>>> Penner. The only real question mark should be who gets to be the other 3rd line wing between Lewis and King. My guess is Lewis will get that spot since he's a more natural RW and has more experience. Then you have King, a natural LW, and allow Nolan to play the other wing and centered by Fras. D-pairings and goalies are clearly going to be pretty much the same - although I wouldn't mind Mitchie being back with Drew.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Brown-Lokti-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
Penner-Stoll-Lewis/King
King/Lewis-Fras-Nolan
Clifford/Westy

You gotta give Lokti a real shot. He's already asked for a trade. If he does well, maybe he sticks. It would at least up his trade value.

A like Loki too, but 'sticks' as what? He's far too skilled to be a 3rd liner and there is no future for him here 1st or 2nd line. He's given every indication that he does not like playing wing, his best hope to play where he is comfortable is via a trade to another team where he can be the 2nd line center. And I can't see him centering the top line, for what amounts to be 2 or 3 games. I wish he was more agreeable to switching to wing, because next year, there will be 2 openings.

Keep the Flyers together. They have chemistry and a healthy Gagne >>>>>>>>>> Penner.

Absolutely, 100% and Sutter is a LOT smarter than Murray who made the HUGE mistake of waiting 24 games before letting Richards and Gagne (and all the years worth of chemistry and great sucess they had in Philly) skate their first shift together. Then 1 game later Richards gets the head injury.
Gagne is healthy for the first time in 3 years and very motivated. Keeping him on the 3rd line is a waste of his talent, Stoll does not have the skill to feed off Gagne's speed like Richards can, esp given Richards can find Gagne in his sleep.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
To recap:

Quick is healthy from lockout back surgery (carrying teams is hard).
Martinez is healthy as well after a face injury.
Kopitar out 2-3 weeks with a knee injury.
We won't be calling anyone up from juniors.

As much as I want Loktionov in the top 6 while Kopi is out, I just have no confidence that he will be. Sadly, my guess on opening night rosters will be this:

Brown-Richards-Williams
Gagne-Carter-Penner
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fras-Nolan
Richardson/Westy

DD-Scuds
Slava-Mitchell
Greene-AMart
Whiskey

Q
B

We've actually got a bit of a problem when Kopi IS back. We'd have 15 forwards. That means we have really two options: send one of King/Nolan down for the year or use amnesty clause on Westy/Richardson. I hope they use the amnesty on Westy. We don't need an enforcer, especially one who isn't even that great at fighting. Plus, King and Nolan both deserve NHL time and AHL time for either of them would be a waste.

Also, you guys are forgetting the absolute BEST part about this upcoming season....

NO MORE JAMIE ****ING KOMPON!!!!!!!!

Time for a new powerplay that hopefully doesn't completely blow. Excited also to have Payne behind the bench.

bobafettish*

this is some nice news to wake up to. so whats different in the new cba.

Sydor25

LA Kings
Quick should be healthy by the start of the season and Kopitar should be back by February (at the latest).

Raise the Banner!

I wonder if Westgarth will be waived to make room for Loktionov to start the season? The Kings still have 24 players on their roster and have to get down to 23. Wonder what the waiver rules will be for this season?

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We've actually got a bit of a problem when Kopi IS back. We'd have 15 forwards. That means we have really two options: send one of King/Nolan down for the year or use amnesty clause on Westy/Richardson. I hope they use the amnesty on Westy. We don't need an enforcer, especially one who isn't even that great at fighting. Plus, King and Nolan both deserve NHL time and AHL time for either of them would be a waste.

??? Amnesty buyouts don't happen until the off-season. They'll just waive Westgarth down to Manchester, he can replace Johnson down there, and they'll ditch him in the off-season (through the amnesty buyout/regular buyout/trade or waive him to Manchester again next season).

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Only thing I've heard so far is the first overall restrictions have been changed in the draft. Now the 14 lowest teams are eligible for first overall. The odds remain the same, but any team that wins it of the bottom 14 can move right up to first.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Draft lottery will change. All 14 teams fully eligible for 1st pick overall. Weighting system may remain, but 4-move restriction out.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Now I am really optimistic!
;)

DL is going to be a very busy boy over the next several days.

We have a couple of kids contracts to work out (move or lose) and a couple of deals to get done as well as doing the most important thing that any Kings GM has ever done.

HOIST THE BANNER!!!!

Happy to see NHL hockey return.

Now I can go back to following prospects around in peace again.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
??? Amnesty buyouts don't happen until the off-season. They'll just waive Westgarth down to Manchester, he can replace Johnson down there, and they'll ditch him in the off-season (through the amnesty buyout/regular buyout/trade or waive him to Manchester again next season).

Oh. Right. Can we just use it now anyways? :sarcasm:

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
I love carter and Richards together. They make it look so easy on the cycle. Could we not just make last years line 2 line 1 till the AK11 comes back?

KingsFan17

Jun 20, 2008
Fontana
So any idea when the 1st game will be? I'm out of town the 12-18 so I'm sure it will be then. Stupid lockout! Ughhh...at least it's over.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I will always be a diehard Kings fan, but I almost feel like booing both teams when they hit the ice opening night.

What a joke this entire fiasco has been. Thank God we will never have to see Fehr's face around hockey again!!

Muzzfan

Mar 10, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Jan 15th or 19th..

LeBrun has gotten some information from a league source saying either January 15th or January 19th for a start of the season.

Staples Center is packed on those evenings, so I'm looking at January 16th evening, or January 19th day game if we fit it in early.

Our regularly scheduled home game was January 31st.

I have been totally ambiguous with my scheduling on January 19th. I have had a request for over 1 month and have waited until I heard about the season before answering. Now, I'm glad I had that foresight to wait.

Stanley Cup Banner raising, please!

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Thank god finally. World juniors just ending was a nice way to watch some good hockey. Time for the big show. Any chance Loktionov starts the season if Kopi is out? It'd be around time he returned to games action in Mora let alone for the Kings

Sydor25

LA Kings
Kings need the season to start by the 15th if they want to raise the banner at a night game. Kings are going to have a lot of road games to start the season, Staples schedule is booked solid for January and early February (Grammy's).

Jan. 15 7:30 PM
L.A. Lakers vs. Milwaukee Bucks

Jan. 17 7:30 PM
L.A. Lakers vs. Miami Heat

Jan. 18 7:30 PM
WWE Raw World Tour

Jan. 19 7:30 PM
L.A. Clippers vs. Washington Wizards

Jan. 20 7:30 PM
Lady Gaga

Jan. 21 7:30 PM
Lady Gaga

Jan. 22 7:30 PM
L.A. Clippers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder

Jan. 23 7:00 PM
Muse
Sold Out

Jan. 24 7:00 PM
Muse
Sold Out

Jan. 25 7:30 PM
L.A. Lakers vs. Utah Jazz

Jan. 26 8:00 PM
Muse

Jan. 27 12:30 PM
L.A. Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder

Jan. 27 6:30 PM
L.A. Clippers vs. Portland Trail Blazers

Jan. 29 7:30 PM
L.A. Lakers vs. New Orleans Hornets

Jan. 30 7:30 PM
THE WHO: Quadrophenia and More

Jan. 31 7:30 PM
LA Kings vs. Nashville Predators

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
A lot of away games :P The schedule is going to be hell any way you slice it. Just have to make due... This will likely be a joke of a season anyway. Just gotta roll with it. As we've proven before, you just gotta make the playoffs...

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I can almost guarantee it will be the 19th, their has been talk that they may shift the Clippers game to a day game.

My dad is good friends with one of the event coordinators, and this has been discussed for well over a week. Which explains my confidence that a deal would get done.

EDIT: Just re-read the e-mail I got, and the 1/19 start is contingent on a 48 game schedule, so if it's 50, we could see the 16th.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What's with all the Loktionov talk? You guys really think he'll develop into a roster player? I worry his size just won't allow it.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Someone will have to fill that spot on the roster if Kopi can't go opening night.
I'd be willing to bet we'll see Richards and Carter be the 1 and 2 centers until Kopitar comes back. It just doesn't make sense to have Loktionov play a few games when you already have two established top line centers in the lineup.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I wouldn't be too worried about Kopitar. It sounded precautionary and he probably didn't want to risk it because of CBA negotiations. The NHL season doesn't start for another 1.5-2 weeks anyways. He should be ready to go on time. Maybe miss a game or two at the most.

Ron*

I will always be a diehard Kings fan, but I almost feel like booing both teams when they hit the ice opening night.

What a joke this entire fiasco has been. Thank God we will never have to see Fehr's face around hockey again!!

I would most certainly have booed both teams but for the fact the Kings won the Cup; booing them just seems stupid after the incredible second half and playoffs they had last year.

I am thinking the poster above had it right in regard to the first home game being on the 19th. The season may start before then, with the Kings starting on the road.

The 15th? That's not going to happen. Lakers have a home game against Milwaukee, its a Tuesday and I've never heard of a game being shifted to the afternoon on a weekday that's not a holiday.

The 14th is open. That may be too soon for the NHL to start the season.

So we are looking at the 19th. Opening day for the entire league? I am not sure the NHL wants to see its defending Cup champion start on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad