2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 Series Discussion: #4 Blues vs. #5 Kings

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Regarding your defense, are you guys worried about Muzzin defensively mostly just due to his inexperience? The times I've seen him play I've been impressed by him for a young player, but I haven't seen him much down the stretch here.

There's inexperience, and then there's poor decision making. How much the former contributes to the latter is the question. Muzzin isn't always bad in the defensive zone, but when he is, it seems like it's at the worst possible time.

He's contributed enough offensively that the Kings almost have to play him. Whatever the +/- stat is worth, he's the best +/- on the team. He'll throw a big hit every now and then. He'll make solid defensive plays here and there. He'll make a good first pass out of the zone, or hold onto the puck for just an extra second and open up a lane for himself to skate through.

Then he makes a play that makes you remember he's barely played the equivalent of half a normal season. He is a rookie defenseman.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I apologize for some of our fans coming in here and giving you guys a breakdown of our team. Not sure why they feel the need to do that at all. :laugh:

Regarding your defense, are you guys worried about Muzzin defensively mostly just due to his inexperience? The times I've seen him play I've been impressed by him for a young player, but I haven't seen him much down the stretch here.

Muzzin has had a fine rookie season, but like most rookie defensemen he does turn the puck over in his own end from time to time.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I apologize for some of our fans coming in here and giving you guys a breakdown of our team. Not sure why they feel the need to do that at all. :laugh:

I certainly am.

I've been critical of Muzzin's play in his own zone all season long. His shot is great and his offensive instincts are above average but his decision making in his own zone is below average, even for a rookie. He's big but he's not very physical. He makes an ok first pass most of the time. His acceleration is questionable but his top end speed is good. Some games he looks like he gets it, other games he looks like he's out to lunch. He has some very good tools but I just don't see the hockey smarts all the time. Reminds me a bigger, plodding Jack Johnson, many nights.

He played his best hockey while Drew Doughty was stapled to his hip.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Hm. Interesting. I always thought Muzzin was a solid player and a sure thing to start this series. Didn't think that Kings fans questioned him at all.

This is kinda the way the blues fans felt about Pietrangelo early in the season. Luckily he has bounced back and has looked hot lately.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The Blues had to do anything they could to extend their season at that point. He got caught up in the emotion of the moment.

If you are down to 'shhhushing' the crowd as an option to extending the season, you might as well just have went home and saved your team the embarrassment.

ShattStar03

Jul 21, 2008
Claremont, CA
martinez hasn't played a game like in a month.

Greene hasn't played all season and we're all going to trust the idea that he's suppose to be the staple in our back end for the playoffs? The guy can't stay healthy this season.

I'd rather go with Martinez because he's probably hungry, in shape, and has a good history in the post-season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Muzzin in and of himself i'm not worried about; it would be valuable experience for him. It was Muzzin combined w/Ellerby that scared me. Fortunately, it looks like that may not be an issue, w/Greene back at practice.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
So much for those of us that thought the lines would go back with Browns return.
lines in Monday skate 13-11-77/23-10-14/74-28-22/25-15-71

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Sutter is going to need Plan B's for this playoff run....the Kings aren't going to surprise anyone this time. So maybe throwing different line combos at the opposing team is one way to keep things interesting.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
loving the idea of clifford with carter and kopitar Some needed toughness with carter and kopitar I expect clifford to have a big series playing there and recommend he gets picked in any pool out there.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
As both have been out of the line up recently, makes me think they will be extras for game 1.

No way, if Greene is healthy...he plays. Looks like Sutter is trying to re-kindle Martinez a bit, looking for the player from last years run.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Clifford – Kopitar – Carter
Brown – Richards – Williams
King – Stoll – Lewis
Penner – Richardson – Nolan
Toffoli-Fraser

Regehr-Doughty
Scuderi-Voynov
Muzzin-Ellerby
Martinez-Greene

A little scary but not too bad.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Clifford – Kopitar – Carter
Brown – Richards – Williams
King – Stoll – Lewis
Penner – Richardson – Nolan
Toffoli-Fraser

Regehr-Doughty
Scuderi-Voynov
Muzzin-Ellerby
Martinez-Greene

A little scary but not too bad.

Penner seems to always do well vs the blues. Whether he is on the kings or not. I'm kind of relieved to not see him on one of the top 2 lines.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Greene hasn't played all season and we're all going to trust the idea that he's suppose to be the staple in our back end for the playoffs? The guy can't stay healthy this season.

I'd rather go with Martinez because he's probably hungry, in shape, and has a good history in the post-season.

Agree with this. I wouldn't keep Muzzin out of the lineup. I can't believe how hard everybody is on him with his defense. Sure, he has lapses...but guess who had the best +/- on the team this year?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Those lines seem like a little bit of an unnecessary gamble, no? I mean, they don't look awful, but seems like a funny time to mess with chemistry, unless Sutter feels like the book is out on us or something.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Those lines seem like a little bit of an unnecessary gamble, no? I mean, they don't look awful, but seems like a funny time to mess with chemistry, unless Sutter feels like the book is out on us or something.

It is definitely weird that he would still force lines that are unfamiliar, but at the same time, you can see his thought process in them. I think they should still be competitive and put forth a similar game that they played against San Jose. We should still be fine.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Still don't like em' :shakehead

Nor do I.

I'm with you about chemistry. People here have been *****ing about Kopi and scoring goals. But bottom line is the Brown/Kopi/Williams as a line were 3/5 top scores on our team. And Richards/Carter together with the revolving winger were the other 2 in the top 5. Last time I checked that is both good scoring and balance out of the top 2 lines. And most teams only have one real shutdown line and with those two line that gives them a choice of who they want to try and stop.
These combos seem to have some balance and really there can be scoring from any of them. But we didn't do so bad with them the way they were for most of the season. Wasn't as good as most would like either but not bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad