2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 Series Discussion: #4 Blues vs. #5 Kings

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
last season went the way it went, of course. No one is denying that. But the one thing that is getting us mad is that no one here seems to be crediting the blues properly. Lets not forget here, the blues are the higher seed and had a better record this season. The blues also are stellar at home compared to the Kings on the road. The facts are about even if you think about it. It's time to let hockey talk, as you said.

The blues found a way to beat the Canucks, and the hawks, with pretty nice ease. So I would not be getting your hopes up. The blues can be dangerous IF they can figure the kings out. Until then, the kings are the favorite.

This is a new season. Forget last season. That season ended in early June.

Cheers to a fun series.

You make some fair points.

May the best team named the Kings win!

Gonna be fun and thanks for stopping by.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Ah so heres the so called "playoff attitude"

I posted above because Tonellisghost basically called out the blues fans. I responded, in what I thought was fair. I didn't brag or act cocky, instead I gave the kings the credit they deserved, while defending my team. So, I did not "come to your boards to ask for credit." I came to your boards to read, and then eventually post in a response to another post about the blues fans. I do not see what is so wrong with that. I even said the kings are the favorite to win.

Also, did I ever say JayBo was the reason we were 11-3? I just stated that as a date, and that the blues are hot as of late.

I'm done here, clearly no more room for me in this forum.

May the best team win.

That is neither true or fair at all.

I responded to your post and have consistently credited the Blues and their fans. I have said several times that I think this is going to be a difficult series for us to win and I still believe it to be true.

The only "calling out" that I have done was fun/fairplay kidding around because several Blues fans came here, the kings board and have said that the Blues depth and Elliot were going to be the reasons that you take us out and you know what? you may be right but those actually are the *exact same things that you guys said to us last year*.

So I am sorry if I put you off as I think it is very cool that you or anyone from another team drops in to talk about a game or a series etc. If I came across as disrespectful I am sorry as that wasn't and would never be my intent.

Now, go get ready to get beaten AGAIN by the Kings. ;)

Last edited:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
St. Louis will be a very different challenge for the Kings this playoff season. They could easily force the Kings out in the first round but I'm picking the Kings in seven. Here's the analysis/breakdown:

St. Louis Blues Present A Different Challenge For LA Kings This Time Around

I agree with this article allot. The Blues are a much better team then they were when we last beat them and we are going to struggle as a result. That said the only way they beat us out is if we aren't committed or dedicated enough to our own system. I don't believe the Blues are the true challenge facing us, I believe that we ourselves are the biggest threat we face.

If we get back on our horses we have a shot at the cup again this year, if not we don't. It is that simple. We *can* beat anyone when we put it all together. The only question that remains is rather or not we will.

I like us allot.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
The Blues scare the hell out of me.

That said, I'm not really here to fraternize with the enemy. Especially on game day in a playoff series. A simple "good luck" will suffice. We don't need anyone's in depthn scouting report on the Blues.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The Blues scare the hell out of me.

That said, I'm not really here to fraternize with the enemy. Especially on game day in a playoff series. A simple "good luck" will suffice. We don't need anyone's in depthn scouting report on the Blues.

Agree and disagree.

I agree that the Blues are a scary team but not that we don't need anyone elses opinions. I say bring it byatchez. We are going to go out and beat the heck out of our opponent(s) either way. So long as we play our game our way we will win this series.

Let the yammering heads yammer on all they want.

We know we are the Kings. Let em talk, we gonna play hockey eh?

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO START!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKINGSGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Agree and disagree.

I agree that the Blues are a scary team but not that we don't need anyone elses opinions. I say bring it byatchez. We are going to go out and beat the heck out of our opponent(s) either way. So long as we play our game our way we will win this series.

Let the yammering heads yammer on all they want.

We know we are the Kings. Let em talk, we gonna play hockey eh?

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO START!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKINGSGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, I guess you're right.

Just trying to wear my game face.:rant:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with this article allot. The Blues are a much better team then they were when we last beat them and we are going to struggle as a result. That said the only way they beat us out is if we aren't committed or dedicated enough to our own system. I don't believe the Blues are the true challenge facing us, I believe that we ourselves are the biggest threat we face.

If we get back on our horses we have a shot at the cup again this year, if not we don't. It is that simple. We *can* beat anyone when we put it all together. The only question that remains is rather or not we will.

I like us allot.

Agree. And something that many of the so called hockey experts who are analyzing this series for either a column or podcast cite the increased Blues depth and I get that. But for me, what lost them the series last year was their lack of offense, that is , they didn't have anything that could match Kopi a nd Richards down the middle and what those 2 line brought. I really felt that was the one thing the Blues were missing and thought they'd address it either in the off season of trade deadline. I think that would have helped them.
So I think that's a big edge for the Kings.
A bigger edge, Jeff Carter, a lethal sniper and deadly. They don't have anyone that comes close to him. He's a great weapon to havein a close game and he doesn't need much room to snap off a shot.

I hope that come out and really dominate the first period and keep the Blues penned back on their heels. Take advantage of the PP's, that will be huge.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Agree. And something that many of the so called hockey experts who are analyzing this series for either a column or podcast cite the increased Blues depth and I get that. But for me, what lost them the series last year was their lack of offense, that is , they didn't have anything that could match Kopi a nd Richards down the middle and what those 2 line brought. I really felt that was the one thing the Blues were missing and thought they'd address it either in the off season of trade deadline. I think that would have helped them.
So I think that's a big edge for the Kings.
A bigger edge, Jeff Carter, a lethal sniper and deadly. They don't have anyone that comes close to him. He's a great weapon to havein a close game and he doesn't need much room to snap off a shot.

I hope that come out and really dominate the first period and keep the Blues penned back on their heels. Take advantage of the PP's, that will be huge.

You always seem to bring up an interesting point that I either miss or overlook. This time it is the difference between the two teams up the middle. We have three of the best centers in the entire league at our disposal and when compared what the Blues are working with we are clearly stronger in that area.

Not to mention that if JC gets his shots that he alone can be a difference maker in this series.

You are right. Thanks again for the heads up.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
To incoming Blues fans:

We get it. Your team will not be easy. However, because of the nature of last year, when Blues fans discredited the Kings' success and cited various excuses as to why the Blues didn't have more success, taking a similar tactic, no matter how well intentioned, will come across as provocation.

If you want to talk hockey, there are plenty here that will. However, saying "the Kings haven't seen Elliott when he's on his game, and haven't seen the Blues with Bouwmeester" will not be well received.

The Kings are the cup champs and had an improved season compared to last. The Blues were swept in the second round and moved down in the standings this year. It's not unreasonable, for comparison's sake, to have high expectations of the Kings.

Again, that's not saying the Blues will be a cakewalk. Just that the cup winners are better than last year (even without Mitchell and Greene), so they should be more competitive. So can those visitors who are defensive stop being so defensive?

You don't have to worship the Kings, but I don't think you'd like the Kings going to your board and doing the same thing.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
To incoming Blues fans:

We get it. Your team will not be easy. However, because of the nature of last year, when Blues fans discredited the Kings' success and cited various excuses as to why the Blues didn't have more success, taking a similar tactic, no matter how well intentioned, will come across as provocation.

If you want to talk hockey, there are plenty here that will. However, saying "the Kings haven't seen Elliott when he's on his game, and haven't seen the Blues with Bouwmeester" will not be well received.

The Kings are the cup champs and had an improved season compared to last. The Blues were swept in the second round and moved down in the standings this year. It's not unreasonable, for comparison's sake, to have high expectations of the Kings.

Again, that's not saying the Blues will be a cakewalk. Just that the cup winners are better than last year (even without Mitchell and Greene), so they should be more competitive. So can those visitors who are defensive stop being so defensive?

You don't have to worship the Kings, but I don't think you'd like the Kings going to your board and doing the same thing.

Could not agree more. My apologies.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I know it's a bummer not having Greener tonight guys but the team will not win or lose based on this player, who has played 5 games over the last YEAR.

Keep in mind wekve also lost a few playoff series with him in the lineup as well. If the Kings are not a fluke like so many of our enemies hope, Matt Greene will not make or break us.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Matt Greene will not make or break us.

You are correct but my fear is that an Ellerby/Muzzin combo might do the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I like both of them. I think they are for the most part solid young defensemen. It's their lack of experience that concerns me.

Hopefully the experience from last year of virtually EVERY other player on the team will keep these two on an even keel.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
last season went the way it went, of course. No one is denying that. But the one thing that is getting us mad is that no one here seems to be crediting the blues properly. Lets not forget here, the blues are the higher seed and had a better record this season. The blues also are stellar at home compared to the Kings on the road. The facts are about even if you think about it. It's time to let hockey talk, as you said.

The blues found a way to beat the Canucks, and the hawks, with pretty nice ease. So I would not be getting your hopes up. The blues can be dangerous IF they can figure the kings out. Until then, the kings are the favorite.

Cheers to a fun series.
Chicago Blackhawks' scratches had nothing do with that...

DAVE BOLLAND
RAY EMERY
NIKLAS HJALMARSSON
MARIAN HOSSA
PATRICK KANE
DUNCAN KEITH
MARCUS KRUGER
BRANDON SAAD
PATRICK SHARP
VIKTOR STALBERG
JONATHAN TOEWS

It meant as much as the Kings beating San Jose in the last game, a team that didnt care about the game at all.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

No apologies necessary. You could end up right. Elliot might indeed have become the goalie that he has been reputed to be and no doubt having Jaybo on your blueline absolutely makes your D even better. I have a wait and see attitude towards Elliot but that said, if he melts down or isn't up to the job you guys this year have more than capable back up(s) who could step in and give you all the goaltending that you need.

To me our series is THE series of this years playoffs in the western conference hands down at least for the opening round. Its gonna be a dandy no doubt. I am looking forward to seeing Tarasenko in the playoffs for the first time. I wonder if he will find a way to elevate his game and still be effective. As a rookie I could see him becoming over emotional and try to do too much but then that isn't exactly that kids m.o. so it should be interesting.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Cheers to a fun series.

DAVE BOLLAND
RAY EMERY
NIKLAS HJALMARSSON
MARIAN HOSSA
PATRICK KANE
DUNCAN KEITH
MARCUS KRUGER
BRANDON SAAD
PATRICK SHARP
VIKTOR STALBERG
JONATHAN TOEWS

It meant as much as the Kings beating San Jose in the last game, a team that didnt care about the game at all.

Think they tried to wipe the shutout that the Hawks gave them just 13 days earlier when they fielded their normal team vs the AHL Hawks.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Muzzin and Ellerby don't make any more poor reads and mistakes than our other defensmen. I would say they've been making better reads than both Voynov and Scuderi lately, and even Doughty at times. The difference is those other guys have the ability and hockey sense to recover and mitigate their screwups, while Muzz and Ellerby do not yet. That's what frightens me a little, hopefully they cover well for each other.

But... I have this weird feeling that Muzzin is going to pick it up. You could see him ratchet up the physical game a notch over the last week or so of the season, and he wasn't putting himself out of position to do so.

If the Kings play their typical possession game, one pairing really isn't going to matter anyways. This series is going to come down to offensive zone possession, IMO. Whoever has more of it will win it.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

DAVE BOLLAND
RAY EMERY
NIKLAS HJALMARSSON
MARIAN HOSSA
PATRICK KANE
DUNCAN KEITH
MARCUS KRUGER
BRANDON SAAD
PATRICK SHARP
VIKTOR STALBERG
JONATHAN TOEWS

We also beat them once or twice earlier in the season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

It's cool, and I love visitors of all teams. You have great thoughts, as well!

I was disappointed when you said you were done and hoped you would come back.

It will be a good series. Of course, I hope the Kings win, but the Blues are great, and there would be no shame in losing to them.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Muzzin and Ellerby don't make any more poor reads and mistakes than our other defensmen. I would say they've been making better reads than both Voynov and Scuderi lately, and even Doughty at times. The difference is those other guys have the ability and hockey sense to recover and mitigate their screwups, while Muzz and Ellerby do not yet. That's what frightens me a little, hopefully they cover well for each other.

But... I have this weird feeling that Muzzin is going to pick it up. You could see him ratchet up the physical game a notch over the last week or so of the season, and he wasn't putting himself out of position to do so.

If the Kings play their typical possession game, one pairing really isn't going to matter anyways. This series is going to come down to offensive zone possession, IMO. Whoever has more of it will win it.

I wouldn't say that Muzzin doesn't have the ability to mitigate screwups. He had some timely goals this year and was a +16. At some point we have to get these kids battle tested in the playoffs. We're not going to have Mitchell/Greene forever..Mitchell might not even see another game. Last year should be a testament to what needs to be done and the veterans should keep the rooks on their game.

The key this year will be if Quick can continue his great play and if the Kings can get hot again at the right time. I think this series is going 6-7 games, and I hope the Kings come out on the other side.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Blues won't be able to beat the Kings at their own game. For the Blues to win they are going to have to move the puck very quickly and crisply from their own zone with stick-to-stick passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad