OT: 2013 Redsox/MLB Thread - Playoff Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
TBFansLochNess.jpg

I wish the Sox would do something like this.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I hate how teams celebrate after winning every series. You should only celebrate if you clinch a playoff spot, MAYBE win your league, and if you win the World Series.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Oh how will the Rays ever recover from playing 2 games in 4 days!

"Win your division! So important! Right up until we do everything we can to undermine how important it was."

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
TBFansLochNess.jpg

I wish the Sox would do something like this.

Never seen that before either. How many references to Carl Söderberg have been made when this picture has previously been posted (not many during the SC run, I'd wager, but maybe afterwards)? ;)

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Never seen that before either. How many references to Carl Söderberg have been made when this picture has previously been posted (not many during the SC run, I'd wager, but maybe afterwards)? ;)

When we had good advertising during our SC win, there were many billboards like this. However, some Tampa radio dj made a big stink so we no longer do those fun things anymore. So unfortunately none were made with the Yeti this time around :(

Tampa can suck it. I look forward to beating them.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Here is a fun game.. what life events have happened since the last time the Sox were in the playoffs (Oct. 2009).. for me:

Graduated College
Got a Job
Met Future Wife
Got Engaged
Bought a House
Left Job
Started Another Job
Got Married
Had Baby

I missed you MLB playoffs :laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Ok I'm gonna ask...

Can someone point to a single meaningful stat that has Lester as a better choice to start Game 1 and possibly pitch twice than Buchholz?

Better season WHIP? Buchholz
Better season ERA? Buchholz
Better split vs. lefties? Buchholz
Better split vs. righties? Buchholz
Better numbers in the last month? Buchholz
Better numbers vs. TB this year? Buchholz (by a mile. actually several miles.)

So...what's the deal?

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Lester, ugh...

I'm not brimming with confidence over him starting first.

He'll need to keep calm in the face of borderline ball/strike calls that go against him. And please... keep the ball down!

Elite LHP has been kryptonite to these Red Sox . Rays have that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
its only one game, but getting the first game with Price staring at them in game 2 could be tough. Rays offense is meh, but they do have a star, a young stud, and a bunch of players who are major leaguers- Jennings with the bad hammy is a break as his defense coverage is not what it normally should be.

James Loney will be dialed in,

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Lester, ugh...

I'm not brimming with confidence over him starting first.

He'll need to keep calm in the face of borderline ball/strike calls that go against him. And please... keep the ball down!

Elite LHP has been kryptonite to these Red Sox . Rays have that.

I'm really mystified by the lack of consternation over this choice. I can't think of one good reason to start Lester aside from seniority, which is ridiculous. The only argument I could fashion would be Buchholz missing so much time, but he's been better than Lester since he got back! So yeah, I'm baffled.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I'm really mystified by the lack of consternation over this choice. I can't think of one good reason to start Lester aside from seniority, which is ridiculous. The only argument I could fashion would be Buchholz missing so much time, but he's been better than Lester since he got back! So yeah, I'm baffled.

Let me start by saying I don't disagree with you, I'd start Buchholz in game 1 as well, I just wanted to pass this along as a devils advocate sort of argument.

The biggest reason I've heard for Lester / Lackey in games 1 and 2 is their home road splits this season.

Buchholz ERA is about half a run lower on the road than at home this year,
Lester's ERA is about 1.25 runs higher on the road this year,
Lackey's ERA was about 2 runs higher on the road this year.

I'd still start Buchholz game 1 because he's been their best pitcher, but I can at least understand the home road split argument because the numbers this season back it up.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006

Lester 3.09 ERA home 4.21 Away
Lackey 2.48 ERA home 4.48 Away
Buccholz 1.99 ERA home 1.40 away

Makes perfect sense to start Buccholz on the road when the 2 guys before him have such huge splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad