OT: 2013 Redsox/MLB Thread - Playoff Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I ****ing hate Tampa.

This.

I know JM is a good manager, but for some reason, I cannot stand the Rays. Already started on ESPN today with the underdog/backs against the wall stuff. Players saying that down the stretch every game was like a playoff game...

Well, that's what ******* happens when you go 11-15 in August :rant:

I think in addition to the fact that I hate the way Rodney wears his hat, the whole Tampa "Little Engine that Could" stuff is just getting old? I was looking forwards to the media frenzy that would have been BOS v CLE, now I just hope that the Sox kick the crap out of Tampa. I would not mind a beatdown of EPIC proportions.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let me start by saying I don't disagree with you, I'd start Buchholz in game 1 as well, I just wanted to pass this along as a devils advocate sort of argument.

The biggest reason I've heard for Lester / Lackey in games 1 and 2 is their home road splits this season.

Buchholz ERA is about half a run lower on the road than at home this year,
Lester's ERA is about 1.25 runs higher on the road this year,
Lackey's ERA was about 2 runs higher on the road this year.

I'd still start Buchholz game 1 because he's been their best pitcher, but I can at least understand the home road split argument because the numbers this season back it up.

Lester 3.09 ERA home 4.21 Away
Lackey 2.48 ERA home 4.48 Away
Buccholz 1.99 ERA home 1.40 away

Makes perfect sense to start Buccholz on the road when the 2 guys before him have such huge splits.

Good stuff boys (or girls).

I am guessing this is exactly the reason Farrell structured the rotation the way he did.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Let me start by saying I don't disagree with you, I'd start Buchholz in game 1 as well, I just wanted to pass this along as a devils advocate sort of argument.

The biggest reason I've heard for Lester / Lackey in games 1 and 2 is their home road splits this season.

Buchholz ERA is about half a run lower on the road than at home this year,
Lester's ERA is about 1.25 runs higher on the road this year,
Lackey's ERA was about 2 runs higher on the road this year.

I'd still start Buchholz game 1 because he's been their best pitcher, but I can at least understand the home road split argument because the numbers this season back it up.

The Lackey split makes sense and I agree with it.

But while Bucholz has been better on the road than at home, he's still been better than Lester at home! So when you're talking about the guy who'd have to start twice, not once like Lackey, wouldn't you opt for the BETTER pitcher, and not care as much about their split? I mean you don't "hide" Lester on the road and end up starting him twice instead of starting the better pitcher twice do you?

I'm biased. I don't like Lester. But he's been solid this season, and I have no problem with him as a 2 now, but he's not better than Bucholz. I hate the idea of throwing Lackey against Price already down 1-0. I think they should be throwing their best pitcher in game 1.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site

But while Bucholz has been better on the road than at home, he's still been better than Lester at home! So when you're talking about the guy who'd have to start twice, not once like Lackey, wouldn't you opt for the BETTER pitcher, and not care as much about their split? I mean you don't "hide" Lester on the road and end up starting him twice instead of starting the better pitcher twice do you?

I'm biased. I don't like Lester. But he's been solid this season, and I have no problem with him as a 2 now, but he's not better than Bucholz. I hate the idea of throwing Lackey against Price already down 1-0. I think they should be throwing their best pitcher in game 1.

I agree BP, I'd start Buchholz in game 1. I just wanted to throw the numbers out there because that's the argument I've been hearing for the rotation being the way it is.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

given his health this season maybe Ferrell doesn't trust CB to go 2 games in a series right now? Maybe in a later series?? Plus Lester was pretty darn impressive in that duel with Shurzer which certainly had a playoff feel to it.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
given his health this season maybe Ferrell doesn't trust CB to go 2 games in a series right now? Maybe in a later series?? Plus Lester was pretty darn impressive in that duel with Shurzer which certainly had a playoff feel to it.

What does a playoff feel in baseball feel like during the regular season

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I'll give weight to the first point and obviously Farrell knows things we don't, so he must think he's making the right call. My bet is that's the key reason, which is obviously not encouraging for Clay.

On the second point, doesn't matter much to me. He's been hit hard in those spots too, and Clay has had plenty of those games himself.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'll give weight to the first point and obviously Farrell knows things we don't, so he must think he's making the right call. My bet is that's the key reason, which is obviously not encouraging for Clay.

On the second point, doesn't matter much to me. He's been hit hard in those spots too, and Clay has had plenty of those games himself.

Maybe Farrell isn't comfortable with the whole playoff beard thing going on, doesn't want to be "that guy", but is sending a subtle message by choosing the clean-shaven SP over the one with the beard?...

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
would rather play tampa anyway. they're a better team than cleveland and i really wasn't looking forward to a week of francona drama. i'd rather beat the better team.

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Maybe Farrell isn't comfortable with the whole playoff beard thing going on, doesn't want to be "that guy", but is sending a subtle message by choosing the clean-shaven SP over the one with the beard?...
Or not...

bos_a_jon-lester_mb_576x324.jpg

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Pulled the pink hat out of the closet today, ready for some playoffs.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I want to beat them so badly. And I have faith we will. So smug. Hope the beards bring more magic tonight.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
The anti-Lester sentiment puzzles me sometimes.

The guy's been consistent and solid since the ASB with a 7-2 record and 2.57 ERA. Who wouldn't take that? Love what I saw from Buchholz since returning from his long layoff, but that layoff's exactly what gives me some pause when it comes to determining the guy to kick this off.

Lester is one of only 12 pitchers in the league to throw 180 starts, 1,200 innings and post a sub-4.00 ERA since 2008. That's Ace territory folks. That's the guy who starts Game 1.

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Meh, I don't hate Jon Lester... not like I hated the previous version of John Lackey. In this 5 game series I would have preferred Buchholz to kick it off.

The splits & Farrell trump my preference. S'all good.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Meh, I don't hate Jon Lester... not like I hated the previous version of John Lackey. In this 5 game series I would have preferred Buchholz to kick it off.

The splits & Farrell trump my preference. S'all good.

Well, Lackey gave us good reason to hate him. He's won me back with what he's done this season.

I wonder if Lester's endearing penchant to whine when calls don't go his way color folks' opinions about his ability to throw the baseball. I get it, it's kind of annoying when he does it, but it's pretty tough to argue with how consistent he's really been over the last five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad