2013 panthers training camp thread

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
What's going on with Howden? I thought he was always considered one of the Panthers most NHL ready prospects.

He'll be an NHL'er someday. Just not ready yet. I think the rest of this year and another full season in the AHL will be really good for him. In 2 years, he'll be ready to contribute.

He's fast and good with the puck. But he's still learning the pro game and adjusting to the physicality. The first 3 months of the season, he spent the majority of his time on the ice on his backside. He's gotten much better lately. He just needs time to develop.

Drew Shore, however...he's your 3rd line center NEXT season.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Florida Panthers‏@FlaPanthers

Great news #FlaPanthers fans. The team will skate @TheBBTCenter tomorrow and it's open to the public. Practice starts at 10am. #HockeyIsBack

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
He'll be an NHL'er someday. Just not ready yet. I think the rest of this year and another full season in the AHL will be really good for him. In 2 years, he'll be ready to contribute.

He's fast and good with the puck. But he's still learning the pro game and adjusting to the physicality. The first 3 months of the season, he spent the majority of his time on the ice on his backside. He's gotten much better lately. He just needs time to develop.

Drew Shore, however...he's your 3rd line center NEXT season.

thx for your insight. and i just became your 241st follower ;-)

CoolburnIsGone

The Leafs put Tim Connolly on waivers and many expect him to be bought out. I mentioned him in the Gomez thread and think he'd be a good option to stop gap us until next season. Yeah he's somewhat injury prone but healthy right now and we can use a center right now. Thoughts?

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Some camp thoughts...

Keaton Ellerby - IMO he is ready for a full time spot in our top 6, soon top 4. He's looked great all camp, very promising. Really reminds me so much of the package Bouw used to bring to us.

Marek Svatos - As much as people have been hyping up Kovalev because of the obvious skill he brings, I think Svatos has been as good. He seems to work very hard, has great hands and could be a really good player. I see him playing somewhere on this team, at least I hope he does.

Filip Kuba - I read some people disappointed in his play.. I disagree with that. He's got a quiet game, makes simple plays, solid defensively. Definitely a good guy to have back there.

Peter Mueller - Best way to describe him is a poor mans Nathan Horton. Not quite the hands Horton had, but a similar shot, big but not necessarily a power forward, I like him..

James Wright - Shawn Matthias 2.0

Top line - They are moving the puck sharply IMO..

Overall what I saw in the scrimmage is going to happen a lot for the start of the season.. Players will be dumping pucks in, but there won't be top much of a forechecking. Gonna be a lot of energy conservation.

Oh yeah, Gudbranson is getting big!

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The Leafs put Tim Connolly on waivers and many expect him to be bought out. I mentioned him in the Gomez thread and think he'd be a good option to stop gap us until next season. Yeah he's somewhat injury prone but healthy right now and we can use a center right now. Thoughts?

If we could get him for cheap on a one year deal he'd be worth taking a risk on.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

I'd welcome him, may have extra drive being bought out.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Is Connolly being bought out? Pretty sure he's just being waived which would mean the claiming team is responsible for his whole salary. (4.5M prorated)

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Some camp thoughts...

Keaton Ellerby - IMO he is ready for a full time spot in our top 6, soon top 4. He's looked great all camp, very promising. Really reminds me so much of the package Bouw used to bring to us.

Marek Svatos - As much as people have been hyping up Kovalev because of the obvious skill he brings, I think Svatos has been as good. He seems to work very hard, has great hands and could be a really good player. I see him playing somewhere on this team, at least I hope he does.

Filip Kuba - I read some people disappointed in his play.. I disagree with that. He's got a quiet game, makes simple plays, solid defensively. Definitely a good guy to have back there.

Peter Mueller - Best way to describe him is a poor mans Nathan Horton. Not quite the hands Horton had, but a similar shot, big but not necessarily a power forward, I like him..

James Wright - Shawn Matthias 2.0

Top line - They are moving the puck sharply IMO..

Overall what I saw in the scrimmage is going to happen a lot for the start of the season.. Players will be dumping pucks in, but there won't be top much of a forechecking. Gonna be a lot of energy conservation.

Oh yeah, Gudbranson is getting big!

Thanks G4P. I am stoked to hear Ellerby doing well. I like him and I always have, I hope he can put it together finally and play damn good out of the gate and force Dineen to keep him in the line up. Not giving up on this guy yet. Just refuse to.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Santorelli was put on Waiver and cleared it..Heading for a buyout?

Along with Yonkman, Caruso and Wright.

CoolburnIsGone

Is Connolly being bought out? Pretty sure he's just being waived which would mean the claiming team is responsible for his whole salary. (4.5M prorated)
Word that I saw was that no he wasnt being bought out. They're hoping someone claims him and if not, they make a deal like the Lombardi trade where they absorb some salary. His salary is actually $4M this yr with a cap hit of $4.75M so whoever claims him is on the hook for that pro-rated to this 48 game season.

If he clears, I'd trade for him then if we can swap a contract in the deal (see ya Santorelli).

CoolburnIsGone

Hmm, Weaver not practicing today. Jovo is though according to GR.
Saw a new tweet today that said Weaver was just being held out for precautions and is hoping to play Saturday. Good news that Weaver isnt hurt too badly.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Have an inkling that the leafs might pick up Santorelli after losing keith aucoin to waivers, but I'm totally guessing.

CoolburnIsGone

Have an inkling that the leafs might pick up Santorelli after losing keith aucoin to waivers, but I'm totally guessing.
Well Santorelli did already clear waivers but the Panthers put him back on waivers again. GR just tweeted that he thinks because of injuries & contracts, that Santorelli sticks

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Florida PanthersVerified
‏@FlaPanthers
One more closer to the opening night lineup as the #FlaPanthers have released Marek Svatos from his PTO. Down to 27.

So much for Svatos. Kovalev seems like a shoe-in though.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Florida Panthers‏@FlaPanthers

One more closer to the opening night lineup as the #FlaPanthers have released Marek Svatos from his PTO. Down to 27.

damn was rooting for him...

CoolburnIsGone

Svatos released from his PTO. Camp now at 27. Need to get down to 23 by 3pm tomorrow.
So figure on Wright, Caruso & Petrovic (with Weaver probably ready for Saturday, dont need another d-man for now) going back to San Antonio gets us down to 24 that means gotta figure out 1 roster spot huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad