2013 panthers training camp thread

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Repost: So what are the rosters looking like for tonight's scrimmage?

I searched I cannot find anything, I am sure someone will post them here once it is done.

Its Fialkov, but interesting nonetheless...

Of the forwards, it appears that veteran Alex Kovalev will be signed shortly, as may Marek Svatos. If so, Dineen may keep one of the Ahlers like Wright or Jon Rheault. Mike Santorelli seems headed for the pressbox or possibly a buyout. I inadvertently left out Scottie Upshall, who's looking for a comeback year.

I really want to see Svatos on the team this year, I really believe he has something.

CoolburnIsGone

Just read on twitter via GR that Weaver did a split in the scrimmage and then went straight to the locker room. Looks like we've lost another d-man based on that but hasn't said how bad or what it was exactly. Not good news no matter how you slice it

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
I'm typing this on my phone so it might sound a little off. I was in a pretty crappy spot along the outside of the boards so I didn't really have a good view of the entire ice sheet. There were easily over +200 people here tonight.

The game was pretty loose. No real offense at all. Puck was bouncing everywhere and nobody seemed to be in the right position.I feel like it's going to take awhile for the rust to come off.

Guys like Petrovic, Shore, Howden, etc.. that have been in SA didn't really stand out like I thought they would.
Parros is massive. He's a lot bigger in person. Thought he looked okay on Skille's line.
Weiss/Versteeg/Flash almost non existent. Didn't really notice them at all.
The Huberdeau/Kovalev/Mueller line was probably the best line of the night. They seemed to always be in control of the puck. Soupy set up Kovy in the 2nd but he just barely missed the net.
Matthias looked solid.
Campbell was the best player on the ice I thought. He made some nice passes, broke up a few plays, and was throwing some big hits on Versteeg along the boards.
Caruso blows.
Svatos didn't stand out at all.
Where the hell did Jovo go? I saw him during the pregame warmups but I don't think he played a single minute of the game.
Markstrom didn't play. Just Clem and Theo, and they didn't really have much to do.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Well, thanks for the Reports guys. Tonight hasn't really made me feel all that comfortable, but what can you really expect I guess. A rushed training camp, you can't expect them to come out a well oiled machine, but dang. I still don't like the early indications.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The scrimmage:

The pace was fast and there was some bumping here and there. Yet, it was kind of controlled. Looked like they let the guys play but mentioned not to run anyone through the wall. No one really took any risks. The defense looked like they were trying to be safe the majority of the time. Yet, a couple of times I noticed guys like Soup, Kuba and Strachen pinching to keep a play going.

I'll add more later.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Scrimmage highlights and low-lights

This is going to be a little long so settle in.
doing the lines from memory, so I may make an error or 2

Red Team Lines
Flash-Weiss-Steeg
Kopecky-Mathias-Upshall
Rheault-Shore-???

Weaver-Ellerby
Petrovic-robak?

Clemmer

White Team Lines
Huber-Mueller-Kovalev
Skille-Smithson-Parros
Svatos-Santorelli-Wright

Campbell-Kuba
Strachan-Caruso

Theo

Overall Thoughts

it ended in a 0-0 tie.

The homer bias version is that it looks like our D/goaltending is strong, but that was not reality. Play was EXTREMELY sloppy. Way to many turnovers in the neutral zone. This was a scrimmage with light to no contact, it should have opened up the ice and led to a decent amount of scoring. Not only was there not a single goal scored, there were less than a handful of scoring chances. You can tell that they have been skating together for less than a week. If the rest of the teams are having similar growing pains, other than a couple of weeks of sloppy hockey around the NHL, the team should be fine. If other teams have their stuff together, the Panthers could see themselves in a very early hole.

Penalties were called but there was NO special teams work tonight.

Forwards

1st line thoughts

Pretty much a non-entity on the ice. That natural chemistry they enjoyed last year did not show up at all. Maybe got 2 shots on net the entire scrimmage.

2nd line thoughts

They were the most consistent line on the ice. It seems pretty obvious that Kovalev has made the roster. There is definitely some chemistry between the three skaters. While they didn't score, they had the best puck possession of any line on the ice.

Huberdeau

He definitely belongs in the NHL. Very good hands and sees the ice extremely well. Made some great plays in space and behind the net to set up a couple chances. Against the boards he is definitely tentative. Coughed up the puck a few times and let the puck get caught up in his feet while he was looking around for the nearest defender. He also has a bit of Eric Staal in him. Goes down very easily after contact. I don't know how the rest of you feel about diving, but I am NOT a fan.

Mueller

The skill is definitely there. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Kovalev

Like I previously said, I would be shocked if he wasn't on the opening day roster. The hands are still there. He still has NHL level skill even if he is a LOT slower than he used to be. Unfortunately the negatives of Kovalev were present as well. He hogged the puck at times and relied way too much on his stickhandling instead of moving the puck around. One notable instance had him dangling near 2 defenders at the blue line in the offensive end which led to an easy turnover and odd man rush. He also wasn't very interested in defense other than the bare minimum of keeping himself between his man and the net. Due to injuries and a desperate need for scoring, I see him starting the season with the team. It remains to be seen how long he stays.

3rd line

Kopecky-Matthias-Upshall

The only person who stood out to me was Matthias. He looked very sharp and probably had the most scoring chances of any player on the ice. Kopecky and Upshall were not impressive at all. IMO Upshall's start to the season will determine how long Kovalev is needed. Right now, Upshall would not be a good fit for the 2nd line.

4th line

Pretty much what you would expect from these 3. Parros has a modicum of skill. He won't ever be confused for a decent hockey player, but he seems responsible defensively. Its hard to evaluate an enforcer in a scrimmage with light contact.

The rest of the forwards

Santorelli: :help: only a string of injuries puts him in the lineup.

Svatos: had to try and find him on the ice. Not good.

Shore: played decent during the scrimmage, really shined in the 4-4 OT. He has definitely improved, but needs one more year in the AHL. Could see him being called up if there is a long term injury to Weiss or Mueller.

Wright/Rheault: JAGs

Defense

Campbell-Kuba

Campbell was his usual self. Don't need to go into too much detail on him.

Kuba on the other hand IMO was a huge flop. Pretty sure that the team is hoping he can play a similar role to Garrison but it did not go well. He is extremely slow, doesn't read the play well, and didn't get himself open for a one-timer even once. Don't be surprised to see Gudbranson on the top line when he gets healthy.

Weaver-Ellerby

Weaver got hurt towards the middle of the scrimmage, but other than that nothing jumped out at me either way.

The rest.

Strachan: Looked solid,will be needed early on with the depleted D.

Petrovic: HUGE size, but is clearly not ready for the NHL. Doubt we see him this season.

Robak: didnt notice him either way, but overall was solid.

Caruso: MEH

The absence of Kulikov, Gudbranson, and even Jovo was very aparent. Our D is a strength of this team. They need Kulikov and Gudbranson on the ice ASAP. Going into the season with Weaver and Ellerby as your 2nd pairing is a very scary thought.

Goalies

Nothing much to report here. Other than a couple solid saves, neither was truly tested all night. Theo made a nice save on a Matthias deflection right in front of the net, but other than that, most of his saves were pretty routine.

OT

Looks like we are going to be much more aggressive in OT 4-4. both the 1st and second lines went with 3 forwards and 1 defender while the rest went the standard 2-2.

The Shootout

Pretty much the lone bright spot of the whole scrimmage. Mueller and Huberdeau both scored on very nice/creative moves. Kovalev beat Clemmer with a nice move but just barely missed the net on the backhand.

Weiss-Flash-Steeg used the same uncreative moves that helped us to being the worst SO team in the NHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Huber-Mueller-Kovalev handle the SO to start the season. And can definitely count on a much better SO success rate this season. It is about time we got some creativity in the SO. While conventional wisdom says, less is more, when it comes to a SO, you need to get creative to score more often then not. That is why guys like Datsyuk and St. Louis are so good in the SO. They go outside of the box and catch goalies off guard even when they know what move is coming.

Final Thoughts I really hope other teams are experiencing the same rust that we are, if not the Panthers will definitely struggle early on. Don't let anyone spin a 0-0 scrimmage into a positive. 0-0 worries me a ton more than if it had been 10-9.

Hope this gives everyone a clear picture of what happened tonight

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Kovalev looked pretty good out there, he makes the team for sure.

Weaver apparently got hurt as well, looks like Robak makes the team.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I can't believe no goals were scored. Terrible to hear about Weaver. I hope he's okay. Our D is too depleted as it is.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I can't believe no goals were scored. Terrible to hear about Weaver. I hope he's okay. Our D is too depleted as it is.

I was just watching Dineen being interviewed after the scrimmage and he thought the players were trying to be to "cutesy" with the extra passes and the Dmen not blasting it from the point in "respect to their teammates ankles". Mostly they were in scrimmage mode and not full game mode.

He also thought the goalies looked really good, which I agree.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I was just watching Dineen being interviewed after the scrimmage and he thought the players were trying to be to "cutesy" with the extra passes and the Dmen not blasting it from the point in "respect to their teammates ankles". Mostly they were in scrimmage mode and not full game mode.

He also thought the goalies looked really good, which I agree.

In my 15+ years of hockey, I never played in a scrimmage that was lower scoring than actual game mode. There is always a ton of goals scored in these games even if the forwards are trying to be cute.
Heck we used to scrimmage our B team in practice on thursday night and it would be a high scoring 10-8 affair, then play them the next night in a 2-1 defensive slugfest. Its just the nature of scrimmages.

Just my .02.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Scrimmage highlights and low-lights

This is going to be a little long so settle in.
doing the lines from memory, so I may make an error or 2

Red Team Lines
Flash-Weiss-Steeg
Kopecky-Mathias-Upshall
Rheault-Shore-???

Weaver-Ellerby
Petrovic-robak?

Clemmer

White Team Lines
Huber-Mueller-Kovalev
Skille-Smithson-Parros
Svatos-Santorelli-Wright

Campbell-Kuba
Strachan-Caruso

Theo

Overall Thoughts

it ended in a 0-0 tie.

The homer bias version is that it looks like our D/goaltending is strong, but that was not reality. Play was EXTREMELY sloppy. Way to many turnovers in the neutral zone. This was a scrimmage with light to no contact, it should have opened up the ice and led to a decent amount of scoring. Not only was there not a single goal scored, there were less than a handful of scoring chances. You can tell that they have been skating together for less than a week. If the rest of the teams are having similar growing pains, other than a couple of weeks of sloppy hockey around the NHL, the team should be fine. If other teams have their stuff together, the Panthers could see themselves in a very early hole.

Penalties were called but there was NO special teams work tonight.

Forwards

1st line thoughts

Pretty much a non-entity on the ice. That natural chemistry they enjoyed last year did not show up at all. Maybe got 2 shots on net the entire scrimmage.

2nd line thoughts

They were the most consistent line on the ice. It seems pretty obvious that Kovalev has made the roster. There is definitely some chemistry between the three skaters. While they didn't score, they had the best puck possession of any line on the ice.

Huberdeau

He definitely belongs in the NHL. Very good hands and sees the ice extremely well. Made some great plays in space and behind the net to set up a couple chances. Against the boards he is definitely tentative. Coughed up the puck a few times and let the puck get caught up in his feet while he was looking around for the nearest defender. He also has a bit of Eric Staal in him. Goes down very easily after contact. I don't know how the rest of you feel about diving, but I am NOT a fan.

Mueller

The skill is definitely there. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Kovalev

Like I previously said, I would be shocked if he wasn't on the opening day roster. The hands are still there. He still has NHL level skill even if he is a LOT slower than he used to be. Unfortunately the negatives of Kovalev were present as well. He hogged the puck at times and relied way too much on his stickhandling instead of moving the puck around. One notable instance had him dangling near 2 defenders at the blue line in the offensive end which led to an easy turnover and odd man rush. He also wasn't very interested in defense other than the bare minimum of keeping himself between his man and the net. Due to injuries and a desperate need for scoring, I see him starting the season with the team. It remains to be seen how long he stays.

3rd line

Kopecky-Matthias-Upshall

The only person who stood out to me was Matthias. He looked very sharp and probably had the most scoring chances of any player on the ice. Kopecky and Upshall were not impressive at all. IMO Upshall's start to the season will determine how long Kovalev is needed. Right now, Upshall would not be a good fit for the 2nd line.

4th line

Pretty much what you would expect from these 3. Parros has a modicum of skill. He won't ever be confused for a decent hockey player, but he seems responsible defensively. Its hard to evaluate an enforcer in a scrimmage with light contact.

The rest of the forwards

Santorelli: :help: only a string of injuries puts him in the lineup.

Svatos: had to try and find him on the ice. Not good.

Shore: played decent during the scrimmage, really shined in the 4-4 OT. He has definitely improved, but needs one more year in the AHL. Could see him being called up if there is a long term injury to Weiss or Mueller.

Wright/Rheault: JAGs

Defense

Campbell-Kuba

Campbell was his usual self. Don't need to go into too much detail on him.

Kuba on the other hand IMO was a huge flop. Pretty sure that the team is hoping he can play a similar role to Garrison but it did not go well. He is extremely slow, doesn't read the play well, and didn't get himself open for a one-timer even once. Don't be surprised to see Gudbranson on the top line when he gets healthy.

Weaver-Ellerby

Weaver got hurt towards the middle of the scrimmage, but other than that nothing jumped out at me either way.

The rest.

Strachan: Looked solid,will be needed early on with the depleted D.

Petrovic: HUGE size, but is clearly not ready for the NHL. Doubt we see him this season.

Robak: didnt notice him either way, but overall was solid.

Caruso: MEH

The absence of Kulikov, Gudbranson, and even Jovo was very aparent. Our D is a strength of this team. They need Kulikov and Gudbranson on the ice ASAP. Going into the season with Weaver and Ellerby as your 2nd pairing is a very scary thought.

Goalies

Nothing much to report here. Other than a couple solid saves, neither was truly tested all night. Theo made a nice save on a Matthias deflection right in front of the net, but other than that, most of his saves were pretty routine.

OT

Looks like we are going to be much more aggressive in OT 4-4. both the 1st and second lines went with 3 forwards and 1 defender while the rest went the standard 2-2.

The Shootout

Pretty much the lone bright spot of the whole scrimmage. Mueller and Huberdeau both scored on very nice/creative moves. Kovalev beat Clemmer with a nice move but just barely missed the net on the backhand.

Weiss-Flash-Steeg used the same uncreative moves that helped us to being the worst SO team in the NHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Huber-Mueller-Kovalev handle the SO to start the season. And can definitely count on a much better SO success rate this season. It is about time we got some creativity in the SO. While conventional wisdom says, less is more, when it comes to a SO, you need to get creative to score more often then not. That is why guys like Datsyuk and St. Louis are so good in the SO. They go outside of the box and catch goalies off guard even when they know what move is coming.

Final Thoughts I really hope other teams are experiencing the same rust that we are, if not the Panthers will definitely struggle early on. Don't let anyone spin a 0-0 scrimmage into a positive. 0-0 worries me a ton more than if it had been 10-9.

Hope this gives everyone a clear picture of what happened tonight
Almost like I was there. Excellent report. Thanks a bunch. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
In my 15+ years of hockey, I never played in a scrimmage that was lower scoring than actual game mode. There is always a ton of goals scored in these games even if the forwards are trying to be cute.
Heck we used to scrimmage our B team in practice on thursday night and it would be a high scoring 10-8 affair, then play them the next night in a 2-1 defensive slugfest. Its just the nature of scrimmages.

Just my .02.

I was going to say the same thing.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL

Just my .02.

You wrote exactly what I was going to say, I have played scrimmages on the ice myself, and every time goals were scored, how can you expect to score goals in a full paced hockey game when you can't score any in a scrimmage?

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I don't disagree, but for the most part it seemed more like they were trying too hard to not try hard. If that makes sense.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
You wrote exactly what I was going to say, I have played scrimmages on the ice myself, and every time goals were scored, how can you expect to score goals in a full paced hockey game when you can't score any in a scrimmage?

i don't know if you guys have noticed, but you're not NHL hockey players. comparing yourself to them proves nothing.

most scrimmages that have been played so far have been pretty low scoring...at least the scores i saw on twitter anyway.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Hubby looks absolutely insane out there, just from highlights. We haven't had a kid with this kind of skill in, well, I think EVER.

Also, I keep hearing great things about Matthias. I really hope he turns it up this season. He's always been solid in our zone but can't quite put it together offensively. He had a beauty move in the shootout. I hope he can improve his game this season.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
i don't know if you guys have noticed, but you're not NHL hockey players. comparing yourself to them proves nothing.

most scrimmages that have been played so far have been pretty low scoring...at least the scores i saw on twitter anyway.

I realize I'm not in the NHL. But I still played hockey at a high level for most of my life. What you saw last night was not typical under any circumstances

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Howden, Markstrom, Shore, Robak and Rheault sent back to San Antonio.

This pretty much tells us that Kovalev and possibly Svatos are making the team and the Weaver is ok.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Something occurred to me as I began to add more notes from the scrimmage last night. I realized I was making unfair judgements from a controlled scrimmage. I say controlled because guys weren't throwing caution to the wind yet. It was a fast and furious pace, but a step below a real game.

It was nice to see a few guys beat a goalie one-on-one for a change: Huberdeau, Mueller, Santorelli, Matthias and Svatos. On the flip side, the usual suspects didn't score in the shootout: Weiss, Fleischmann, Versteeg, Upshall, Kopecky and Campbell (Soup and Kopy aren't usual suspects, they just didn't score)

Huberdeau looked pretty confident. Like other said, he coughed it up a couple of times, but that's expected since he's in a transition year. I also saw him make give and go plays I rarely see attempted on this team and battle hard for the puck. He made a great move off the wall and tried to split the d and would've done so without the long stick of Weaver. Speaking of Weaver, I think he got hurt, because I didn't see him on the ice in the last 2 sessions.

Mueller looks solid. He was clicking well with Huby and Kovy. He didn't shy away from contact either. Looked like a nice influence on the rookies as he "raised the roof" after seeing Huby score in the shootout. Loved seeing that.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Howden, Markstrom, Shore, Robak and Rheault sent back to San Antonio.

This pretty much tells us that Kovalev and possibly Svatos are making the team and the Weaver is ok.

They all belong there.

However, Shore looked the most NHL-ready, IMO. He played pretty confident last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad