2013 - Out Of Town Scoreboard - Part Two - Hockey's Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Anyone else find Bob Miller to be really dull to listen to?

I've noticed that his voice doesn't have quite the same enthusiasm that it used to. Might just be age starting to get the better of him. He's pretty unbiased as a play-by-play guy, leaving the homerism for Jim Fox. I like Miller way better than John Ahlers, the play-by-play guy for the Ducks, who is a massive homer only dwarfed by his color commentator, Brian Hayward.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Mark Fraser was +6 in nine games this season coming in and he's +5 tonight. He's now tied for the NHL lead.

Ehh. lol

The Sharks have not looked good the past 3 games. Talk about a bi-polar team.
If there`s a bi-polar team, it`s the Blue Jackets. You just don`t know what to expect of them on any given night.

Sharks PP just rolled over everyone to start the year and their big guns were hot. The depth outside of their top6 isn`t all that impressive scoring-wise. Once the big names cooled off...

Oroku Saki*

Ill be on social security before the Isles are good. Poor Tavares.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
My god, that sad little march to the locker room by the Islanders.
I really do want them to be competitive. And a guy like Tavares deserves to be competing for something other than top draft picks to play along side him.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Ill be on social security before the Isles are good. Poor Tavares.
I`m going to quote jkr since I absolutely agree:

I said this a week ago, John Tavares can't be considered a top NHL center. He is a ****ing cherry picker and you can't be a good 5-on-5 team if your center is ****ing cherry picking at center ice instead o helping in the neutral zone. The Islanders are terrible 5-on-5 team and it starts with the guy who is supposed to be their top player.
Except for the top NHL center part. Many cherrypickers were considered top players, some even made the HOF.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

Except for the top NHL center part. Many cherrypickers were considered top players, some even made the HOF.

Is that Tavares or is that the rest of the roster leaning on him to generate offense by himself?

Because it really does seem to be like a "wait for Tavares to do something" methodology when it comes to whoever his linemates are that particular game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tavares is basically the second coming of Kovy Atlanta-style, only he's far more of an assist guy than a goalscorer. Destined to put up big numbers for a decade on a **** team.

I do wonder if they'll be able to attract more FA's once they get out of the rattrap and into Brooklyn at least.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Scuderi just scuderied Backes.

Is that Tavares or is that the rest of the roster leaning on him to generate offense by himself?

Because it really does seem to be like a "wait for Tavares to do something" methodology when it comes to whoever his linemates are that particular game.
I truly feel like it`s a little bit of both. He played like that for Canada too. I like his stature and skills, the way he protects the puck, the creativity, the shot or his positioning in the offensive zone, but everything jkr said is true. It should be fixed, for their own good.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
All three game on now went to intermission at the same time, give or take a few minutes. So much for watching hockey around the clock.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can't expect the Isles to be competitive when their coach decides to play trash can Rick in a non back to back game for no reason. And at home no less where he's rightfully hated.

That pathetic guy has no business suiting up and getting on the ice in a beer league let alone the NHL.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I truly feel like it`s a little bit of both. He played like that for Canada too. I like his stature and skills, the way he protects the puck, the creativity, the shot or his positioning in the offensive zone, but everything jkr said is true. It should be fixed, for their own good.

I won't argue it too much, but it does seem to be a feature found heavily in those suffering from good-player-on-a-bad-team-itis.

But that's just one thing, on a list of many that this team needs to tweak in order to ever be competitive.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I used to feel for Tavares being with the Islanders and having little around him. Until I saw for myself how much that synopsis of his game is true. I can't feel bad for him when he cherry picks so often and just overall style on the ice. Of course he's ridiculously talented. But he could make more of an impact if he gave an effort on the other end of the ice. If he wants to be on a winning team, he's going to have to do more to help the team. We have a different perspective than many people would because we saw what Kovy was in Atlanta and what it did both for him and the team when he started playing two ways here. But Tavares can do more for his team if he can do more than score.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Nabokov was in net they might have been able to drag this game to OT. Someone needs to put that tool trash can Rick out to pasture already old yeller style. I don't see that happening with Wang and Snow running things. Isles scored 4 PP goals too.:shakehead

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It sounded like death in that locker room.

If they could use this game to light a fire under their ass and embarrass our other foes at home, that'd be nice.

I usually believe in doing your own dirty work, but in a shortened season you need all the help you can get.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have to think after this pathetic performance Capuano's points are going down. They may have won this game though if not for the trash can. They're better off sending him to ride the buses in Bridgeport, and bringing up Nilsson. Rick is the worst player in the league, nevermind goaltender.

Can they bury him in the minors? Or does the CBA have that provision where they can't put a player in the minors without it counting against the cap? Not that it matters cause they are nowhere near the cap.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Those players tend to be wingers though. You can get away with those floating a bit. A center is supposed to cover and help the defensmen though.

I said those comments elsewhere so allow me to elaborate. I do think like other have said part of his play is due to the organization. Basically because the Islanders are so cheap there is no support system to correct this. The only vets they bring in are to basically trade away at the deadline. They always go cheap on coaches so you get guys in their first go around as an NHL coach and don't have the credibility needed. Tavares is the face and thus he gets free reign and lauders as long as he puts up points. In that regard it is kind of like an Atlanta situation. If he was with a stringer organization he probably wouldn't be that type player.

Unfortunately, for the Isles Tavares isn't a Toews like player who came in the league and instinctively got how to play. But they can't have it continue having their #1 center not comeback to help five-on-five. You win games five-on-five and the Islanders are the worst five-on-five team in the league (and that is with a good goaltender). Because of that you can't consider him a top center in this league.

That said I hope things don't change. One less division opponent to worry about in what otherwise is a ****ing tough division.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
DiPietro already cost them Al Montoya, who was pretty decent when he got to play there for the most part, and pitched a shutout for Winnipeg the other day.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sadly they will need him in most games to compete. Boucher isn't any good, and Leighton is for the AHL. It's just like the Isles. They can't roll 2. It's play Nabokov every game, or get the bench garbage can and put it in front of the net like they did tonight!:laugh:

Speaking of which Isles up 3-2 on the Canes. Leave it up to the trash can though. Nothing is safe with him in there.

Difference is Nabokov is a pretty good starter. Having 1 goalie is better then having 1 space cadet.

Ya any thoughts of the Isles being competitive and this year being their year to sneak in has to be dead at this point. I mean you take that with what you can because the trash can was in goal, but they are still a terrible 5 on 5 team. The Atlantic is really weird this year. I'm just not quite buying the Rags this year at all, obviously not a bad team, but I think they are weaker then last year. Flyers are just a mess. Pitt is still a regular season beast but I wouldn't trust them in the playoffs. Isles...ya. Us ya we are good, but are we really this good? Then again outside of Boston MAYBE (and they definitely have off nights) the east is pretty tight talent wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad