Speculation: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Selane is either going to re-sign with Anaheim or retire, so that is not on the table.

I would love Jagr, but I am not convinced this sort of stop-gap approach is the best route to take. We have 5 top 6 players and a lot of prospects, so why not have a healthy battle for who gets the other top 6 slot? There is no point to have prospect depth if those young guys never get a real chance.

Failing that, I would actually pick Greening to move to the top line, because he has had some success there and he will actually go to the net. Plus that would move 9MM to the second line, which would help with scoring balance.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
We don't need guys like Penner, who are slow and only scored 2 goals whole season. Or guys like Jagr or Selanne who are above 40 and have slowed down and lack speed.

With that said, we don't even have any genuine top 6 forward within our system who are ready for at least this coming season.

We are a team that can really make a run in the playoffs. We need to fill our second line with top 6 caliber players.

This is what we can realistically do..

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

Mueller - Turris - Brunner

MacArthur - Pageau - Zibanejad

Condra - Smith - Neil

Greening - Conacher

Stone
Hoffman
Puempel
Prince

This makes our team loaded up front with speed and balanced wide spread offensive.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
what makes you guys think we got money for brunner?

I think Zibby should get the second RW, and murray already sayed MacArthur is a top 6 lock, probably why he signed here...

so our line confirmed so far is

Conacher/Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Conacher/Michalek/Zibby

Conacher can not play unless he is in the top 6, i really don't think we need another player through trade/FA

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
what makes you guys think we got money for brunner?

I think Zibby should get the second RW, and murray already sayed MacArthur is a top 6 lock, probably why he signed here...

so our line confirmed so far is

Conacher/Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Conacher/Michalek/Zibby

Conacher can not play unless he is in the top 6, i really don't think we need another player through trade/FA

If we're going to play guys that our not top 6 material in our top 2 lines, then we are in serious trouble. Good teams lock down their top six with genuine top six caliber players. Addition to that we don't even have a genuine second pairing Dmen for NHL level. Cowen is struggling and continuously making mistakes. Montreal, Toronto, Boston and Detroit will eat us alive if we're gonna expose our rookies who are not ready to take on such duties.

Brunner or Mueller will not cost more than MacArthur.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
To the people who want jagr, i don't really think it would work out for us too honest. We do not have any room for him. He is probably going to want to play in the top 6. It is pretty much given that spezza-ryan will be in the first line with either michalek or conacher spotting the left wing in the first line. That just leaves the second line. This is what the second line will probably look like: macarthur-turris-conacher/michalek. If you add jagr to that line, it drops down either conacher or michalek to the bottom 6, which might not be a good thing. In fact, we might lose a player entirely from the lineup if we add jagr. I have a feeling that if jagr is added to the lineup, conacher will be removed. So who would you rather have, conacher or jagr? I would rather have conacher.

I would love to have jagr don't get me wrong. But he just does not fit in our lineup at the moment.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
To the people who want jagr, i don't really think it would work out for us too honest. We do not have any room for him. He is probably going to want to play in the top 6. It is pretty much given that spezza-ryan will be in the first line with either michalek or conacher spotting the left wing in the first line. That just leaves the second line. This is what the second line will probably look like: macarthur-turris-conacher/michalek. If you add jagr to that line, it drops down either conacher or michalek to the bottom 6, which might not be a good thing. In fact, we might lose a player entirely from the lineup if we add jagr. I have a feeling that if jagr is added to the lineup, conacher will be removed. So who would you rather have, conacher or jagr? I would rather have conacher.

I would love to have jagr don't get me wrong. But he just does not fit in our lineup at the moment.

Why does Jagr need to be in the top 6? As ling as he plays with talented enough players he is fine, plus he would get lots of PP time. I think Jagr is the dominant force on any line he is on. I think he would be amazing with Zibanejad and Pageau on a third line. They could score and control puck possession very well. We don't need to have a "checking" 3rd line.

I don't buy that Conacher can't play outside of our top 2 lines. You really think he can't play an offensive role as LW to Spezza, Turris, Zibanejad or Pageau? All of our centers except Smith could likely use Conacher decently in an offensive role.

neutral zone trap13

Dec 15, 2009
Ottawa
Yes please to Jagr! Even if he has slowed down I bet that all of our young guys and maybe even Spezza would see a noticeable improvement in puck control. I remember Kovalev had this affect but Kovalev is no Jagr... Jagr is a LEGEND.

Greening*-Spezza-Ryan
Macarthur-Turris-Conacher
Zibanejad-Pageau-Jagr**
Condra-Smith-Neil
Hoffman
Kassian

*Yes, Greening is not a top liner but this has worked in the past and lets us to distribute our depth more evenly.

**And yes, I realize that Jagr will want to be in the top 6 but he can still get top 6 minutes switching between the second and third lines sometimes and plenty of time on the PP.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We don't need guys like Penner, who are slow and only scored 2 goals whole season. Or guys like Jagr or Selanne who are above 40 and have slowed down and lack speed.

With that said, we don't even have any genuine top 6 forward within our system who are ready for at least this coming season.

We are a team that can really make a run in the playoffs. We need to fill our second line with top 6 caliber players.

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

Condra - Smith - Neil

Greening - Conacher

Stone
Hoffman
Puempel
Prince

This makes our team loaded up front with speed and balanced wide spread offensive.

That's not the answer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I agree with this. I don't think at this point, after acquiring Ryan and MacArthur, that we need any of those mentioned. I think our forward line-up is pretty set barring injuries.

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

Condra - Smith - Neil

Greening - Conacher

Stone
Hoffman
Puempel
Prince

This is where you lose me. Conacher is younger and more productive than Mueller. How is making Greening and Conacher, two players that are very good in their roles (Conacher as a top 6 forward), sit on the bench improving our top 6?

MacArthur is 2 years removed from a 60 point season. Both Conacher and MacArthur have proven more than Brunner and Mueller while also bringing more to the table.

Conacher - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek

...as a top 6 that's pretty impressive and is more fearsome than what you've put together up there. Then you don't want to remove a guy like Greening from the line-up either.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Here's how I would set my lines up if the season were starting tomorrow :

MacArthur-Spezza-Ryan (I prefer Michalek on LW but I would want to spead out the scoring, line still has some of everything)
Conacher-Turris-Michalek (This line has tremendous speed, Conacher acts as the playmaker)
Greening-Pageau-Zibanejad (I'd be thrilled to watch this line go to work)
Condra-Smith-Neil (Condra LW? Didn't know where else to put him)

Yes please to Jagr! Even if he has slowed down I bet that all of our young guys and maybe even Spezza would see a noticeable improvement in puck control. I remember Kovalev had this affect but Kovalev is no Jagr... Jagr is a LEGEND.

Greening*-Spezza-Ryan
Macarthur-Turris-Conacher
Zibanejad-Pageau-Jagr**
Condra-Smith-Neil
Hoffman
Kassian

*Yes, Greening is not a top liner but this has worked in the past and lets us to distribute our depth more evenly.

**And yes, I realize that Jagr will want to be in the top 6 but he can still get top 6 minutes switching between the second and third lines sometimes and plenty of time on the PP.

Michalek cut?

I like the idea of picking up Jagr because he's a true pro and would help show guys how to work.

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Greening-Turris-Jagr
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Conacher
Condra-Smith-Neil

I'm also warming up to the Hemsky for Smith idea... Turris could use a playmaker

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Greening-Turris-Hemsky
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Condra
Conacher-Pageau-Neil

neutral zone trap13

Dec 15, 2009
Ottawa
Here's how I would set my lines up if the season were starting tomorrow :

MacArthur-Spezza-Ryan (I prefer Michalek on LW but I would want to spead out the scoring, line still has some of everything)
Conacher-Turris-Michalek (This line has tremendous speed, Conacher acts as the playmaker)
Greening-Pageau-Zibanejad (I'd be thrilled to watch this line go to work)
Condra-Smith-Neil (Condra LW? Didn't know where else to put him)

Michalek cut?

I like the idea of picking up Jagr because he's a true pro and would help show guys how to work.

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Greening-Turris-Jagr
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Conacher
Condra-Smith-Neil

I'm also warming up to the Hemsky for Smith idea... Turris could use a playmaker

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Greening-Turris-Hemsky
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Condra
Conacher-Pageau-Neil

Whoops I knew I was forgetting someone :laugh: I'm still hyped up from Rush...

And yes those lines look great! :yo: Although I would like to have Pageau in either way but that may be difficult.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Why does everyone wanna break up Greening-Smith-Neil?

I want it split up because I think Greening plays about half as well with Smith and Neil as he does with other line combinations. He seems to play much more physical when he's playing with Pageau or Spezza, he takes on a more passive role in terms of physicality when playing with Smith and Neil.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

Condra - Smith - Neil

Greening - Conacher

Stone
Hoffman
Puempel
Prince

Blech. I'd rather have Greening and Conacher on that line.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I agree with this. I don't think at this point, after acquiring Ryan and MacArthur, that we need any of those mentioned. I think our forward line-up is pretty set barring injuries.

This is where you lose me. Conacher is younger and more productive than Mueller. How is making Greening and Conacher, two players that are very good in their roles (Conacher as a top 6 forward), sit on the bench improving our top 6?

MacArthur is 2 years removed from a 60 point season. Both Conacher and MacArthur have proven more than Brunner and Mueller while also bringing more to the table.

Conacher - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek

...as a top 6 that's pretty impressive and is more fearsome than what you've put together up there. Then you don't want to remove a guy like Greening from the line-up either.

dis guy gets it . I think people are confused because last season we were forth best defensively but lacked goals and the season before that we were forth best offensively but lack defense . How i see it is that all the forward that played this season proved they can be defensively responsible well our main guys were out . Its may naive to assume but if we can get our scoring touch back with the return of MM , spezza and karlsson we have the potential to be top 10 in offense and defense which should be enough to get into the play offs. I cant wait till next season when conacher puts up great numbers and shuts everyone up . Imo we should be more concerned about our defense that filled with guys who are tier career 2 and 3 dmen as well as the possibility anderson will come back to earth just like he did in colorado

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I would be shocked if

Greening-Pageau-Condra didn't stick. That line was lethal together.

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan
McArthur-Turris-Michalek
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Conacher-Smith-Neil

Do not think that Conacher on the 4th line is a slight. He will alternate with Zibanejad.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I would be shocked if

Greening-Pageau-Condra didn't stick. That line was lethal together.

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan
McArthur-Turris-Michalek
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Conacher-Smith-Neil

Do not think that Conacher on the 4th line is a slight. He will alternate with Zibanejad.

I love this idea. Spreading out our offense with Michalek on the 2nd, as well alternating Zibby & Conacher. After our 2 FWD additions we really can stand to have 1 of the top 6 slots available for a younger guy to step up.

And keeping Greening-Pageau-Condra together just makes so much sense. A fourth line so effective it became our third (but who's counting?).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love this idea. Spreading out our offense with Michalek on the 2nd, as well alternating Zibby & Conacher. After our 2 FWD additions we really can stand to have 1 of the top 6 slots available for a younger guy to step up.

And keeping Greening-Pageau-Condra together just makes so much sense. A fourth line so effective it became our third (but who's counting?).

Exactly. I also think McArthur's speed would ignite Michalek and Turris' game. You can also alternate McArthur with Zibby. LW remains flexible while Spezza-Ryan and Turris-Michalek stablizing the respective two lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad