2013 Offseason: UFA's, Trades - Not long now! Part IX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker*

I know we were all hoping that Murray could somehow figure out a contract with Mike Commodore for this season, but unfortunately he has decided to sign with Astana Barys of the KHL. So much for our cup hopes. :sarcasm:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Melnyk said we are over budget.

Trade Smith and JOB to Edmonton for a pick and a prospect.

Bring Da Costa up.

Saves us 1.325M in actual salary, since that is what we can about, and not caphit.

Ryan/Spezz/Michalek
MacArthur/Turris/Conacher
Greening/Zibanejad/Condra
DaCosta/Pageau/Neil
Kassian

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Melnyk said we are over budget.

Trade Smith and JOB to Edmonton for a pick and a prospect.

Bring Da Costa up.

Saves us 1.325M in actual salary, since that is what we can about, and not caphit.

Ryan/Spezz/Michalek
MacArthur/Turris/Conacher
Greening/Zibanejad/Condra
DaCosta/Pageau/Neil
Kassian

Not bad. I would like to try smith or zbad out as wing for 10+ games first before trading smith though.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't know why but I'd keep Smith for the time being and see how he plays.

He looks more determined this year and we need that much needed grit from our 4th line center.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Dacosta is not soft. He doesn't fight but he will not shy from corners. If smith works well on the wing then cool beans. Just concerned with the budget.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dacosta is not soft. He doesn't fight but he will not shy from corners. If smith works well on the wing then cool beans. Just concerned with the budget.

I know but... are you talking about Smith-Da Costa? In your lineup Smith was absent. Him changing to wing would still be good I'd assume but absent entirely would reduce our strength in the bottom 6.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have traded Smith for 2 bags of pucks last year but this year he looks stronger with a better head on his shoulders. Moving him to wing could be brilliant idea.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
what do you guys think about Corvo and JOB to Toronto for JML

it would make our D core more like

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Weorcoich
Phillips Liles

Gryba

and i mean you can move them around it's not like phillips and liles would only get 10 minutes xD. I'm pretty sure liles plays the left but i feel it's stronger myself and i think Ceci is a long term project, even top end prospects like Klefborn take years to develop.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Weorcoich
Phillips Liles

Gryba

and i mean you can move them around it's not like phillips and liles would only get 10 minutes xD. I'm pretty sure liles plays the left but i feel it's stronger myself and i think Ceci is a long term project, even top end prospects like Klefborn take years to develop.
Im sure Melnyk would love that trade.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
No one wants JOB, and trading a FA you just signed is a bad move. Especially for a Canadian team.

It's not about wanting O'brien but rather dumping salary. i know it would never happen but it would make our blueline better for sure.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Weorcoich
Phillips Liles

Gryba

I would love it if liles was on a 1 year deal be ok with 2. But 3 years? I hope our d is to good for liles at that price by then.

WhiteLight*

Look, I agree that Edmonton's management makes poor decisions sometimes, but let's not get into the habit of assuming they will make poor decisions ALL of the time.

Why is it a bad trade? Smith and Da Costa could be the difference between the playoffs or not for them. Smith and Da Costa > 25% chance their mid 1st turns into a player.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why is it a bad trade? Smith and Da Costa could be the difference between the playoffs or not for them. Smith and Da Costa > 25% chance their mid 1st turns into a player.

Da Costa is completely unproven at the NHL level, and isn't worth much on the open market. He has the potential to be a nice little player, but 24 year olds who are being sold on the basis of "potential" do not carry a high price tag.

Smith would be a good player for them, but isn't worth a 1st rounder in any scenario. Ask yourself this: would you trade a 1st rounder for Greg Campbell?

You don't trade 1st round picks for a bottom-6 guy and a 24 year old prospect, especially if all it is going to do is barely put you over and get you into the playoffs. You of all people should know that.

WhiteLight*

Da Costa is completely unproven at the NHL level, and isn't worth much on the open market. Smith would be a good player for them, but isn't worth a 1st rounder. Ask yourself this: would you trade a 1st rounder for Greg Campbell?

Greg Campbell is absolutely not comparable to Smith. Smith has size, speed, skill and faceoffs (?) that Campbell does not have.

It's unreasonable to expect Campbell to score more than 20 points in a season. Smith on the other hand will score more than that, and could even get 40 in the right situation.

You don't trade 1st round picks if all it is going to do is put you over and get you into the playoffs. You of all people should know that.

Obviously, if it's a 30+ year old player. But Smith is young and could be a long term piece for them. He is exactly what they need. They go from RNH-Gagner-Gordon-??? to RNH-Gagner-Gordon-Smith. Centre instantly becomes a strength instead of a weakness. Da Costa gives them quality depth that they desperately need.

I'm not saying it's a home run for the Oil, but they couldn't get Smith + SDC for just a 2nd right now obviously.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Greg Campbell is absolutely not comparable to Smith. Smith has size, speed, skill and faceoffs (?) that Campbell does not have.

It's unreasonable to expect Campbell to score more than 20 points in a season. Smith on the other hand will score more than that, and could even get 40 in the right situation.

You're looking at Smith through Homer glasses. Nothing he has done has ever suggested he can be a 40 point player, outside of 2 months of hockey that was 2+ years ago. Smith is going to be 26 years old by the end of the season. WYSIWYG.

Campbell has had better offensive seasons that Smith has (2 seasons where he outscored Smith's career best season so far), and he's what... 4 years older? Big whoop. Their career faceoff percentages are within 0.15% of eachother. Smith hits a little more often.

They are basically the same player, except Smith is 4 years younger.

Obviously, if it's a 30+ year old player. But Smith is young and could be a long term piece for them. He is exactly what they need. They go from RNH-Gagner-Gordon-??? to RNH-Gagner-Gordon-Smith. Centre instantly becomes a strength instead of a weakness. Da Costa gives them quality depth that they desperately need.

I'm not saying it's a home run for the Oil, but they couldn't get Smith + SDC for just a 2nd right now obviously.

Wait... you are suggesting here that the Oilers - a team that was so bad last year that they drafted 7th overall - would trade a 1st round pick (potentially still a lottery pick) for a guy who would be their 4th liner? And then you try to value him as a "potential 40 point guy"?

And DaCosta is supposed to be an asset for them because he'd be... what, their 5th center? Pressbox guy who gets 20 games a year?

It makes no sense whatsoever. None. Even Holmgren wouldn't make that deal. I know it's awesome to like our players and pump their tires, but we need to at least keep one foot in the door of reality... expecting a 1st rounder for our 5th & 6th best centers is nothing short of main-boards, "Maple Leaf"-level homerism. Lots of teams could use an upgrade on their 4th line, but expecting them to pay a potential lottery-1st-rounder for it is nothing short of absurd.

WhiteLight*

You're looking at Smith through Homer glasses. Nothing he has done has ever suggested he can be a 40 point player, outside of 2 months of hockey that was 2+ years ago. Smith is going to be 26 years old by the end of the season. WYSIWYG.

I suggest you look at our friend Zack's career progression
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14495

Kid was never even ppg in junior. Never good enough to get drafted.

Then put up good offensive seasons in the AHL... then goes near ppg in the AHL playoffs when the Sens go on to win.

MAJOR progression and development here. He's a late bloomer.

The bottom line is, he's super talented and his basic hockey skills are all top notch. Shooting, skating, passing, puck handling, faceoffs, strength, it's all there. Everything.

Even at 25 years old he can still improve, obviously. Really in his first full year he produced at a 25 point pace, and it was the same last year in a shortened. He is by no means a lock to improve on that, but still, it's very possible that he does.

Especially if he gets away from playing with Chris Neil on the 4th line. Even if you think he's old, he still has potential.

Campbell has had better offensive seasons that Smith has (2 seasons where he outscored Smith's career best season so far), and he's what... 4 years older? Big whoop. Their career faceoff percentages are within 0.15% of eachother. Smith hits a little more often.

They are basically the same player, except Smith is 4 years younger.

Campbell is 30. That's 5 less years of hockey playing and has huge effect on trade value.

Campbell had 2 crazy offensive seasons (30ish points) that he will never ever repeat again. I'll be surprised if he ever hits 20 again. Meanwhile we KNOW Smith gives us at least 25.

Wait... you are suggesting here that the Oilers - a team that was so bad last year that they drafted 7th overall - would trade a 1st round pick (potentially still a lottery pick) for a guy who would be their 4th liner? And then you try to value him as a "potential 40 point guy"?

I'm not saying that they would.

I'm saying they could easily get into the playoffs this year (especially with Smith), and that pick is unlikely to be as valuable to them as Smith can. Mainly because Smith is a long term piece.

The chances a mid 1st rounder develops to be as good as Smith is actually not very good.

And DaCosta is supposed to be an asset for them because he'd be... what, their 5th center? Pressbox guy who gets 20 games a year?

they literally have no NHL depth. Gagner and RNH are out and he'd be their 1st line centre for now.

It makes no sense whatsoever. None. Even Holmgren wouldn't make that deal. I know it's awesome to like our players and pump their tires, but we need to at least keep one foot in the door of reality... expecting a 1st rounder for our 5th & 6th best centers is nothing short of main-boards, "Maple Leaf"-level homerism. Lots of teams could use an upgrade on their 4th line, but expecting them to pay a potential lottery-1st-rounder for it is nothing short of absurd.

Your problem is that you think of Smith as a 30 year old 4th liner. In that case, he is OBVIOUSLY not worth a 1st. the reality is that he's better than that.

I'm not saying the Oil would make the trade, or that any GM would make the trade. I'm saying Smith and SDC are more likely to help their team (this year and long term) than the guy they would pick.

If the pick ends up top 5, the Oilers look foolish and that risk is why 1st rounders don't get traded at this point in the year. Realistically though, the Oilers, with this trade, won't end up top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad