2013 Offseason: UFA's, Trades - Not long now! Part IX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If we dont have confidence in cowen and wier is not a realistic option for our pp i say we go for wideman from calgary although he has a NTC.

Pumepel
wikstrand/hoffman
3rd
for
wideman

Personally i really think we need to shore up our defense. One gonchar type offensive defense men, preferably right handed and one stay at home defense men who we could use as an upgrade over cowen or gryba. I wouldn't be opposed to offering up cowen for a more established top 4 defense men with less offensive potential.
Other dmen that interest me our Ryan Ellis, Reece Scarlett and Steve Santini.
For these three i'd rather offer one for one trades with our side giving up forward prospects. What i say we really need, although it would be hard to acquire is an experienced Chris Pronger type of player. We get a player like that were instantly one of the best teams in the league.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Cowen is sure taking his sweet time to sign a deal. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a deal is not done by the time training camp opens.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If we dont have confidence in cowen and wier is not a realistic option for our pp i say we go for wideman from calgary although he has a NTC.

Pumepel
wikstrand/hoffman
3rd
for
wideman

Personally i really think we need to shore up our defense. One gonchar type offensive defense men, preferably right handed and one stay at home defense men who we could use as an upgrade over cowen or gryba. I wouldn't be opposed to offering up cowen for a more established top 4 defense men with less offensive potential.
Other dmen that interest me our Ryan Ellis, Reece Scarlett and Steve Santini.
For these three i'd rather offer one for one trades with our side giving up forward prospects. What i say we really need, although it would be hard to acquire is an experienced Chris Pronger type of player. We get a player like that were instantly one of the best teams in the league.

1. Thats too much for a #4 bad contract dman.
2. Patience. No need to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
3. Every team wants a Chris Pronger. Problem is theres only 1 thats close to him in the league and we're not getting him back.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'd like to see another top 4 D, but I doubt this will happen prior to the trade deadline. If we are in the hunt at that point, I would be disappointed if we did not go out and shore up our D heading into the playoffs.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
1. Thats too much for a #4 bad contract dman.
2. Patience. No need to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
3. Every team wants a Chris Pronger. Problem is theres only 1 thats close to him in the league and we're not getting him back.

It's a lot but imo Wik's upside is what Wideman is right now. 5mil is an over payment atm but over the period of 5 years i don't think its terrible. I'd say we could use him as a reliable 3-4 RHD, who'd give us basically what gonchar was giving us. As for pumepel he's a boom or bust top 6 winger prospect and we already have a few of those. Imo Wideman would make us a better team right now and for the future. He's a upgrade on what we have on our team and in our system excluding Ceci.

1#karlsson2# Methot
3#Wideman4#Cowen
5#Wier- Whoever is the best 6 guy on our team
Of course if there was a better option i'd go for it but imo he's a serviceable 3-4 guy.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He'll sign soon, prob 2 years 3 mil per

i personally just dont want the deal to be a 2 year deal, i and im sure everyone else would prefer a long term deal but i really hope murray makes sure it isnt a two year deal.

we will already have spezza,ryan,methot and anderson as our ufa's in two years and zibby and pageau as rfa's then no need to add in another big name to the mix and make decisions based off our 'budget'. Especially if management thinks cowen is going to progress like how he was projected to when he was drafted.

If he signs a 2 year deal and we dont get out of the money problems then it makes the difficult decisions in 2 years time that much harder

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
i personally just dont want the deal to be a 2 year deal, i and im sure everyone else would prefer a long term deal but i really hope murray makes sure it isnt a two year deal.

we will already have spezza,ryan,methot and anderson as our ufa's in two years and zibby and pageau as rfa's then no need to add in another big name to the mix and make decisions based off our 'budget'. Especially if management thinks cowen is going to progress like how he was projected to when he was drafted.

If he signs a 2 year deal and we dont get out of the money problems then it makes the difficult decisions in 2 years time that much harder

Stole my username :rant:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
It's a lot but imo Wik's upside is what Wideman is right now. 5mil is an over payment atm but over the period of 5 years i don't think its terrible. I'd say we could use him as a reliable 3-4 RHD, who'd give us basically what gonchar was giving us. As for pumepel he's a boom or bust top 6 winger prospect and we already have a few of those. Imo Wideman would make us a better team right now and for the future. He's a upgrade on what we have on our team and in our system excluding Ceci.

1#karlsson2# Methot
3#Wideman4#Cowen
5#Wier- Whoever is the best 6 guy on our team
Of course if there was a better option i'd go for it but imo he's a serviceable 3-4 guy.

Except that trade costs more than Wikstrand, Puempel and a 3rd; it'll cost 5-6mil of budget on re-signing soon to be RFA's currently on ELC's. I'd hate to not be able to afford one Pageau, Ceci, Stone etc. because of Wideman, when he isn't even really needed with Wiercioch being on the team.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Ian White, still available. As is Ryan Whitney.

Can't imagine they're looking for much at this point.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I want to see a package of JOB, Da Costa, Boro, an Dizzy.

3 players I think should be able to become NHL players, but not in Ottawa behind some of our depth. The other is the one who would probably be the most highly touted though.

Is there a team that has terrible 3 and 4 centres?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

3 players I think should be able to become NHL players, but not in Ottawa behind some of our depth. The other is the one who would probably be the most highly touted though.

Edmonton

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The best thing about Toronto having cap issues and needed to re-sign their 2 young stars is they put themselves in this mess.

Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)

Retained Salary: Matt Frattin ($0.437m)
Retained Salary: Ben Scrivens ($0.062m)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The best thing about Toronto having cap issues and needed to re-sign their 2 young stars is they put themselves in this mess.

Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)

Retained Salary: Matt Frattin ($0.437m)
Retained Salary: Ben Scrivens ($0.062m)

:laugh: Gotta love that Tucker buyout.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009

A package like that will probably get you 3 AHL players and one from the press box. Most teams would be at or near their contract limit and I just can't see a bidding war for any of those guys. In my opinion, they're pretty close to their ceilings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad