Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part VI: Buyout Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Always a good sign when you have to start prorating stats to make a case for a player.

I'm guessing you're not talking about Glencross because that has already been proven wrong by his 3 year straight track record

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Tell me where, other than Ranger fans on this forum, is he considered anywhere close to a top prospect? He's only 21 - last year was the only time he ever even put up decent numbers, he's never played in North America before and you think he can just come in right away and be capable of playing an above average 3rd line center role? Your expectations are way too high.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Also agree with that. I can't see why we're slotting him in on the big club when he hasn't touched MSG ice yet, or even NHL.

Nor has any player that will be selected next Saturday in the 2013 NHL entry draft. If you don't think Lindberg plays in the NHL next year, I can see that argument. But to rip on Lindberg because he has yet to play in the NHL is faulty reasoning, because it can apply to MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, etc.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Year after year after year, people slot players that simply aren't ready for the NHL into spots in the lineup. Year after year after year, it doesnt happen that quickly.

Looks like Lindberg is this year's example

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm guessing you're not talking about Glencross because that has already been proven wrong by his 3 year straight track record

Is that his track record of not playing a full season, or track record of being able to bend the stats to make it seem like he was guaranteed to score 20+ goals again? Is he not eligible for the "unsustainable shooting percentage" bit? Or does that only apply to guys like Jordan Eberle?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Year after year after year, people slot players that simply aren't ready for the NHL into spots in the lineup. Year after year after year, it doesnt happen that quickly.

Looks like Lindberg is this year's example

Of this, one of the few ones I can think of that did work out was Prucha. But other than him there are very few. I guess Stepan as well but he was a much bigger prospect than either of the other guys. Maybe Sauer?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Would del Zotto + minor prospect and/or pick get Glencross and one year of Cammalleri? This would be sweet. Kreider - Stepan - Nash. Glencross-Brass-Zucc. Hags-Cam-Cally. Xx-boyle-dorsett. With McD /G. Staal/Stralman. Moore-X, Eminger 7th D. Three scoring lines with one being a shutdown line and someone responsible defensively on the first 2 lines (Stepan and glencross)

Kershaw

Glencross has an absurdbly high shooting percentage, but he'd still be a solid scorer with career averages.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Tell me where, other than Ranger fans on this forum, is he considered anywhere close to a top prospect? He's only 21 - last year was the only time he ever even put up decent numbers, he's never played in North America before and you think he can just come in right away and be capable of playing an above average 3rd line center role? Your expectations are way too high.

Ah, yes. Just because there are over zealous posters on the board, that means my expectations are too high. What are my expectations exactly?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ah, yes. Just because there are over zealous posters on the board, that means my expectations are too high. What are my expectations exactly?

Slotting him in at 3rd line center to start this season. If that's not your expectation then you didn't make it clear.

Glencross has an absurdbly high shooting percentage, but he'd still be a solid scorer with career averages.

Could be he just doesn't shoot much unless he has a good opportunity. His career is 15% which is high but that is over a pretty large sample. Obviously his 11-12 24% is absurd but I think expecting him to settle in at 14-15% is reasonable.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Is that his track record of not playing a full season, or track record of being able to bend the stats to make it seem like he was guaranteed to score 20+ goals again? Is he not eligible for the "unsustainable shooting percentage" bit? Or does that only apply to guys like Jordan Eberle?

Again he's been 16 percent or better for 3 straight years, that's becoming a track record no status bending needed. What's Eberle have to do with anything?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Slotting him in at 3rd line center to start this season. If that's not your expectation then you didn't make it clear.

I've said I think he can compete for that spot. Nowhere did imply that it's a guarantee. You making assumptions about my expectations has nothing to do with me. That's on you.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I've said I think he can compete for that spot. Nowhere did imply that it's a guarantee. You making assumptions about my expectations has nothing to do with me. That's on you.

False. I replied to UAGoalieGuy here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67866007&postcount=946 slotting him in at 3rd line center. You then replied to my response so obviously it is implied that you feel like he is not overrated around here and that it's reasonable for him to start out as 3rd line center.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Again he's been 16 percent or better for 3 straight years, that's becoming a track record no status bending needed. What's Eberle have to do with anything?

Ah, so now it's 'becoming' a track record. Extrapolating 40 games worth of stats over an entire season is bending the stats.

If you aren't up on the Eberle bit, I'm not going to bother getting into it.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Ah, so now it's 'becoming' a track record. Extrapolating 40 games worth of stats over an entire season is bending the stats.

If you aren't up on the Eberle bit, I'm not going to bother getting into it.

I would absolutely take Eberle fwiw lol

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
False. I replied to UAGoalieGuy here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67866007&postcount=946 slotting him in at 3rd line center. You then replied to my response so obviously it is implied that you feel like he is not overrated around here and that it's reasonable for him to start out as 3rd line center.

So you replied by making a random generalization without quoting him? Yeah, I'll buy that.

Not worth it. I'll agree to disagree.

Punxrocknyc19*

Boyle or Lapierre as a 4th line center?

Lapierre.. more speed more offensive ability and has a chance to give NYR a powerplay while getting the star players off of their game to take stupid penalties...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00