Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Trade Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
and while Stepan did have a great season... he did so for about half a season.. I'm not sure he hits the 4M mark either.

SupersonicMonkey*

Puckrush, why the hell would the Rangers pay Hagelin and Zuccarrelo the same when Hagelin has clearly put up better #s? If Zucc gets 2M, they are stupid.

Its an estimate. I rounded off all of those numbers. However, he's about at that number already.

According to capgeek, Zuccarello's cap hit was 1.75. He's a good kid but do you really think he will take a paycut? He performed very well since his return.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Last year the problem was not only Richards. it was our TOP players (outside of Nash/Stepan) not really performing.. When that happens AND you have a **** bottom 6, then yeah.. so what the Rangers need to try to do is address some depth to help the bottom 6. Boyle and Dorsett is a good start, look into guys like Nystrom, Raymond, Lapierre (though with Boyle he's redundant really), etc.

SupersonicMonkey*

He was on the roster aka an attempt to address it.

I don't think it would be wise to invest years and valuable cap space to Clowe, who had three concussions in a half season, two of them since being traded for.

I understand your concern and agree. But Clowe is not the guy to invest in, IMO.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Why would MacD get $1M more than Staal?

He's arbitration eligible and better than Staal was at the time he signe his contract.

You can't just say "x is better than y and making $4M, so therefore y won't get more than x!" It doesnt work like that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't think it would be wise to invest years and valuable cap space to Clowe, who had three concussions in a half season, two of them since being traded for.

I understand your concern and agree. But Clowe is not the guy to invest in, IMO.

Don't really disagree, especially considering the Rangers have more medical info than any of us.

I do think it will be a big flaw for the roster in April/May again.

SupersonicMonkey*

Last year the problem was not only Richards. it was our TOP players (outside of Nash/Stepan) not really performing.. When that happens AND you have a **** bottom 6, then yeah.. so what the Rangers need to try to do is address some depth to help the bottom 6. Boyle and Dorsett is a good start, look into guys like Nystrom, Raymond, Lapierre (though with Boyle he's redundant really), etc.

No. Theres no extra cap space. And they should overpay (which is what it will take) for more marginal bottom six guys?

Nystrom, Raymond, Stalberg, Bickell, Clarkson...these guys are going to get more then they're worth.

Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Dorsett, Boyle, Haley. That's fine.

Get rid of the immobile players, Pyatt and Asham, add speed and skill, and suddenly things look different.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
No. Theres no extra cap space. And they should overpay (which is what it will take) for more marginal bottom six guys?

Nystrom, Raymond, Stalberg, Bickell, Clarkson...these guys are going to get more then they're worth.

Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Dorsett, Boyle, Haley. That's fine.

Get rid of the immobile players, Pyatt and Asham, add speed and skill, and suddenly things look different.

I just dont know if Miller fits into a bottom 6 spot (maybe 3rd line?) or Fasth (barring he's even ready to play in the NHL) are ready. I don't see Raymond getting that much... I agree with the Bickells and Clarksons of the world though.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
With Clowe all but gone it is going to be tough to stomach how soft this team will be next next year. Par for the course.

This team is one of the softest teams right now.... major problem!!!!

obviously you dont remember the trade Stepan talks everywhere on this board through mid February?.. Thats about half a season.. He only played as a 1C starting from mid Feb. since then he was phenomenal and did have a great season.

I said it earlier im not sold on him just yet. It was a contract year and he played great in a short season.

and while Stepan did have a great season... he did so for about half a season.. I'm not sure he hits the 4M mark either.

4M is a huge over payment for this kid. He had one good (half) season

edit; I'm sure he can get 4M but i think that is too much and i understand that is the market rate right now for a kid like him, but we need to get some of these players to take a little discount.

AKA MDZ did last off season, he signed right away for a lot less then people figured

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He's arbitration eligible and better than Staal was at the time he signe his contract.

You can't just say "x is better than y and making $4M, so therefore y won't get more than x!" It doesnt work like that.

Yeah, but how much would arbitration decide a shut down defensemen with very little offensive value (so far) is worth at the moment?

SupersonicMonkey*

Don't really disagree, especially considering the Rangers have more medical info than any of us.

I do think it will be a big flaw for the roster in April/May again.

I definitely agree.

But how to address the issue is the question. With Richards' cap hit still on payroll, what options are there. Our RFAs have to be retained. After that there's no more cap space unless Sather pulls some smart trades. Which us now what I'm hoping for. Because that and adding kids like Fast, Lindberg, Miller to the bottom six, are the only ways i can see to improve tge roster.

Move Pyatt, Asham, Powe.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
This team is one of the softest teams right now.... major problem!!!!

I said it earlier im not sold on him just yet. It was a contract year and he played great in a short season.

4M is a huge over payment for this kid. He had one good (half) season

Though, he has improved pretty much every year.. I do think he will be in the 3.5 range when all is said and done.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Yes, dont you know.. the RFAs will take up all 14M dollars of cap space, and we have no money because of Richards, trades can't happen, people can't be dumped for salary, salary can't be retained in trades, etc.

29 teams are trying to do the same thing right now. Its a buyers market now and the rangers have no cash $$$$$$$$$

Brady Skjei

Aug 12, 2010
Theoretically, what would a package centered around DZ + JT bring back?

(not saying I want to do this, I don't.. just curious as to what the return to be)

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I definitely agree.

But how to address the issue is the question. With Richards' cap hit still on payroll, what options are there. Our RFAs have to be retained. After that there's no more cap space unless Sather pulls some smart trades. Which us now what I'm hoping for. Because that and adding kids like Fast, Lindberg, Miller to the bottom six, are the only ways i can see to improve tge roster.

Move Pyatt, Asham, Powe.

hell, I wouldn't mind Haley on the 4th line.. at least he could add something to it, and from the minimal we got to see of him, he fit there nicely, and he makes next to nothing.. (600K? I think)

SupersonicMonkey*

I just dont know if Miller fits into a bottom 6 spot (maybe 3rd line?) or Fasth (barring he's even ready to play in the NHL) are ready. I don't see Raymond getting that much... I agree with the Bickells and Clarksons of the world though.

Its tough. We are in a tough spot. With the RFAs who definitely need to be retained. And Richards not being bought out. We are severely limited in our options.

I just hope Sather, Gorton, Clark, and co. are prepared to get creative tomorrow at the draft. We need to improve the roster. How is the question. Not many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad