Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Trade Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
3ob034.jpg

My first thread ever!

Go!

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I would think that would be the plan. And if they are looking at an offensive dman like McBain or Demers, to me, that means MDZ is on the move for a forward, not Staal.

Wouk prefer Demers over McBain, for the record.

Staal won't be traded. You don't go giving away top 10 defensive defensemen in the league for futures. Also, his value will be at an all time low as questions about his eyesight keep popping up.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Wouk prefer Demers over McBain, for the record.

Staal won't be traded. You don't go giving away top 10 defensive defensemen in the league for futures. Also, his value will be at an all time low as questions about his eyesight keep popping up.

I see it this way. Sather should go up to Staal and ask if he wants to go to CAR or if he sees himself staying with us. If he wants to go, trade him now while we can get a 5th overall pick. Nothing else from CAR is intriguing to me at this point.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I see it this way. Sather should go up to Staal and ask if he wants to go to CAR or if he sees himself staying with us. If he wants to go, trade him now while we can get a 5th overall pick. Nothing else from CAR is intriguing to me at this point.

He's signed for 2 more seasons, they aren't going up to him to ask him what he wants to do 3 years from now.

Championship*

He's signed for 2 more seasons, they aren't going up to him to ask him what he wants to do 3 years from now.

Why not? You don't think teams project out? We've went over this before. Right now you get 110% of his value as opposed to 50% if you wait. Overpayment now, underpayment/nothing later.

EpicDing

Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

I honestly thought he only had one left. Still, he fits the Canes defensive needs exactly, a fairly cheap, physical, defensive dman, plus he has the name. Now or never imo.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It'd be hilarious if Rangers stay put and just re-sign their free agents. Imagine the reactions on here.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
your a fun guy or boy...Johnny Boychuk was traded to Bruins for Matt Hendrick by Av's..he was unproven but has turned out to be a top 4 dman in this league.

I have followed Oleksiak since he was drafted...I copied and pasted to prove a point that scouts and sites that are dedicated to prospects think this guy is legit...but you know better....you probably had to look up his name to figure out who he was.

anyone who says that Del Zotto is dominate doesn't know **** about hockey. I like del Zotto but he is nothing special...because he put up 40 points doesn't mean squat if you cant play your position...everyone loves offensive dmen...just like the ducks when they fell in love with Whitney and gave up Kunitz and when Stars fell in love with alex goligoski
Matt Hendricks at the time, and still at this point in time, not a better hockey player than Michael Del Zotto. So the point you are trying to make is irrelevant. Apples to oranges. Boychuk is a good defenseman but nothing stellar. And Boychuk was acquired at age 24 in 2008. You act as if Boychuk was some blue chip prospect. What comparison are you trying to make? Boychuk has hardly produced since he broke into the league at 26 years old. Try again.

Del Zotto is 23 years old. 23! What don't you understand? I don't think you watch crap. Because del zotto had improved his defensive game significantly this year. He was our best defenseman for a majority of the season. Does he make mistakes here and there? Yes, some damn bonehead ones. But the others do too. McDonagh made some bad plays this year, but because his defensive game isn't always scrutinized it goes unnoticed by people like you. You need to have offensive defensemen. You need production from the blueline. Del Zotto has good speed and acceleration and he make some fantastic outlet passes. You need that on a roster. He is only 23 years old, there is room for improvement.

And following a prospects stats since they were drafted hardly means you have followed the player intently. In fact it means jack **** to be honest. If that were the case Christian Thomas should be in the NHL right now, no? Grachev too. Guess who has played in the NHL. Del Zotto. He was on pace for his 2nd 40 point season. He had 37 in his rookie year. Give it a rest already. It is ok to not like a player, it is completely different to judge him based on your bias against him.

oh wait, he will be now or he wont be..I say he is going to be good and you said he wont but someone else said he is going to be good and you say he will be...some conviction on your part...

Oh wait, did I say Oleksiak is a bad prospect? Nope. Not once. And I know exactly who he is and that he has potential. Potential means nothing to me when you are making a bad trade to acquire that potential. I never said who he will or won't be. You said he could be as good or better than Hedman. YOU said that, not me. I disputed it by arguing that how is as good as Hedman or better, better than Del Zotto? Hedman makes boneheaded plays too and he hasn't even put up 30+ points. He is just a year younger than DZ. So you would like to trade for someone who could end up producing, possibly, as much as Del Zotto? Possibly, no guarantee. And DZ is just 23 years old and on a good contract.

:shakehead:help::shakehead:help:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
It'd be hilarious if Rangers stay put and just re-sign their free agents. Imagine the reactions on here.

They may do just that honestly. I dont think its the best thing to do, but they did make the 2nd round last year and maybe they think AV can take them further.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Why not? You don't think teams project out? We've went over this before. Right now you get 110% of his value as opposed to 50% if you wait. Overpayment now, underpayment/nothing later.

I'm not going to waste time arguing. Unless something has changed within the organization they aren't moving him as they consider him an integral piece of the team. I'm looking forward to the draft so people can stop suggesting that this is a likely scenario.

EpicDing

Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

I'd be completely ok with this, as long as they sign someone like Nystrom for the bottom 6. It's just fun to spitball ideas sometimes.

Championship*

I'm not going to waste time arguing. Unless something has changed within the organization they aren't moving him as they consider him an integral piece of the team. I'm looking forward to the draft so people can stop suggesting that this is a likely scenario.

because you dont have an answer? I'm not saying that they are trading him for sure. But what I am saying is that now his value is at his absolute highest. I won't be disappointed if he isn't traded. I'll be disappointed if he leaves for nothing.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I agree I really don't see Staal being dealt for a multitude of reasons. If they feel he can recover for next season then he will be here. He is a big defenseman with great mobility. He has lined up against the best forwards in the league and shut them down. He has a long reach that makes him tough to play against. He is extremely smart and positionally sound. He gets physical when he needs to. He is the perfect description of a top 2 defenseman when healthy. If he is healthy he will be here.

I also don't see del zotto being dealt unless it is highway robbery for sather to not say no.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
because you dont have an answer? I'm not saying that they are trading him for sure. But what I am saying is that now his value is at his absolute highest. I won't be disappointed if he isn't traded. I'll be disappointed if he leaves for nothing.

Ference is leaving for nothing. Do you think Boston is upset? I'm gonna go with no, they aren't because Ference was part of a very solid 6 that helped propel them to game 6 of the cup finals. Practically game 7.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I could be wrong but I have a feeling it's going to be a really wild summer, for a lot of teams. A lot of movement.

I think the Rangers have the opportunity to make some creative moves, and if they have a solid plan in place (Gorton) they might be able to upgrade this team pretty nicely without removing some major pieces. But there's a lot to be done, especially with signings and the cap in taking the first steps to get there.

Should be an eventful couple months, imo

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I gotta stop reading this thread. Starting to have dreams about the Rangers trading players. :laugh:
Deja vu in the making ;)

Now lock part IV so I don't continue to look like an idiot for starting a Part V please :laugh:

Edit: Nvm Bob answers my prayers

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

Anyone going top 5 this year would fill an immediate need. They'll make impacts right off the bat. It's saying something about the top end of the draft when Nichushkin is considered the worst case scenario at #5. Many scouts have him as the 2nd best in the draft behind Mackinnon or Jones.

Staal, as I said, has low value at the moment. Let him come back and prove he can still play at an elite level. If he plays well and there are serious doubts about him returning in 2015, I'm sure Carolina would still pay us a king's ransom for an extended Staal.

*Bob Richards*

After reading the last few posts in the previous threads, lets attempt to debate each other's points, not belittle character.

Championship*

Ference is leaving for nothing. Do you think Boston is upset? I'm gonna go with no, they aren't because Ference was part of a very solid 6 that helped propel them to game 6 of the cup finals. Practically game 7.

There is a HUGE difference between Ferrence and Staal. Apples and Oranges.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Matt Hendricks at the time, and still at this point in time, not a better hockey player than Michael Del Zotto. So the point you are trying to make is irrelevant. Apples to oranges. Boychuk is a good defenseman but nothing stellar. And Boychuk was acquired at age 24 in 2008. You act as if Boychuk was some blue chip prospect. What comparison are you trying to make? Boychuk has hardly produced since he broke into the league at 26 years old. Try again.

Del Zotto is 23 years old. 23! What don't you understand? I don't think you watch crap. Because del zotto had improved his defensive game significantly this year. He was our best defenseman for a majority of the season. Does he make mistakes here and there? Yes, some damn bonehead ones. But the others do too. McDonagh made some bad plays this year, but because his defensive game isn't always scrutinized it goes unnoticed by people like you. You need to have offensive defensemen. You need production from the blueline. Del Zotto has good speed and acceleration and he make some fantastic outlet passes. You need that on a roster. He is only 23 years old, there is room for improvement.

And following a prospects stats since they were drafted hardly means you have followed the player intently. In fact it means jack **** to be honest. If that were the case Christian Thomas should be in the NHL right now, no? Grachev too. Guess who has played in the NHL. Del Zotto. He was on pace for his 2nd 40 point season. He had 37 in his rookie year. Give it a rest already. It is ok to not like a player, it is completely different to judge him based on your bias against him.

Oh wait, did I say Oleksiak is a bad prospect? Nope. Not once. And I know exactly who he is and that he has potential. Potential means nothing to me when you are making a bad trade to acquire that potential. I never said who he will or won't be. You said he could be as good or better than Hedman. YOU said that, not me. I disputed it by arguing that how is as good as Hedman or better, better than Del Zotto? Hedman makes boneheaded plays too and he hasn't even put up 30+ points. He is just a year younger than DZ. So you would like to trade for someone who could end up producing, possibly, as much as Del Zotto? Possibly, no guarantee. And DZ is just 23 years old and on a good contract.

:shakehead:help::shakehead:help:

last one of the night for me...I like Del Zotto...but he is nothing special and when you need him the most...he is making a bad pass, not getting the puck out of the zone or getting out muscled in front of his net or leaving his spot to chase someone behind the net or in the corner...he is 23 and can improve but he hasn't improved nearly as much as you want to pretend that he has.

If my bias is not liking him then your bias for loving him. There is a reason he fell in the draft...he thinks he is better than he really is and doesn't put the time in that he should...can he be a very good offensive dman in this league...yes, will his defensive part of his game be anything more than adequate, I don't think so...

I wanted to move him last year for Chris Stewart and all I heard was that Stewart was a bum and a piece of ****...I would take Stewart any day over Del Zotto.

Moore is very close to being Del Zotto's equal and it wont be long before he is better than him...Stralman who I hated when we signed him has made me eat crow and I am proud to do so is a better playoff performer than Del Zotto...Del Zotto can have 70 points a year and when the playoffs roll around...he would still get exposed.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I don't have an answer for what? You are speculating that our best overall defender is going to be traded to Carolina for a 1st round pick because the Hurricanes have declared their intent to corner the market on Staals? And I would disagree that his value is at its highest right now. Lastly, he can't leave for nothing for 2 years. If the team felt after next season that they were going to have a hard time extending him they could still get a 1st rounder for him at the 2014 draft.

EpicDing

Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Anyone going top 5 this year would fill an immediate need. They'll make impacts right off the bat. It's saying something about the top end of the draft when Nichushkin is considered the worst case scenario at #5. Many scouts have him as the 2nd best in the draft behind Mackinnon or Jones.

Staal, as I said, has low value at the moment. Let him come back and prove he can still play at an elite level. If he plays well and there are serious doubts about him returning in 2015, I'm sure Carolina would still pay us a king's ransom for an extended Staal.

IIRC, before the whole trade Staal debate happened, everyone was saying we need a strong power forward type left wing, preferably one we can develop on our own. Nichuskin fits that perfectly, and I think, if I was the Rangers GM, I would think long and hard about trading Staal if he's available at 5.

Championship*

I don't have an answer for what? You are speculating that our best overall defender is going to be traded to Carolina for a 1st round pick because the Hurricanes have declared their intent to corner the market on Staals? And I would disagree that his value is at its highest right now. Lastly, he can't leave for nothing for 2 years. If the team felt after next season that they were going to have a hard time extending him the could still get a 1st rounder for him at the 2014 draft.

No, because they are actively looking for a top 4 D-man on a good contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad