Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Trade Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
This should be the most boring off season in the last 20 years of this team's history. No buyouts, no draft picks intrigue, no free agency, no nothing.

Josh3217

May 30, 2013
They can go over the cap for a while. Just need to be under closer to when the yr starts, I honestly could see them dealing staal and the 4 mil cap hit for Faulk who's a million plus picks prospect. Still leaves mc d, dz, Moore on ld and girardi, Faulk, stralman rd. Dave's 3 million for ufas

Would not mind:

Staal+Pyatt for Faulk+Murphy or Faulk+35overall

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Well this is just flat out ignorant. Typical though from you.

Powe is a 4th line player. He is quicker than Rupp by a long stretch. He gave us good minutes on the PK this past season when we lost the likes of fedotenko, prust, anisimov, and dubinsky.

A 4th liner making $1 million dollars and people are *****ing? Sounds like that ignorant portion of the ranger faithful. I guess a fair dollar amount for Powe would be, what, $750K? $650K? We're seriously griping over a few hundred thousand dollars for a 4th line player? If that's the case then this organization should just pack it in for eternity.

Powe is useless but less useless than Rupp and makes less money so it was a good trade in that sense. But I'd prefer a 7th rounder to Powe such as not to have to pay him.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
This should be the most boring off season in the last 20 years of this team's history. No buyouts, no draft picks intrigue, no free agency, no nothing.

Could be a good thing.

But changing coaches is not enough. It was a step in the right direction but this roster will not cut it if Richards continues to stink up the ice.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate 51s
"There are more names thrown out that I've seen before, big names, with fewer teams willing to take them" - Dave Nonis

Good thing we moved Gaborik when we did.

This is exactly why they should have bought out Richards. There are players available this off-season who normally aren't available because of the cap coming down. Cap space is a serious weapon this off-season and instead if doing the smart thing and buying out Richards to create an advantage, they did the opposite.....

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is exactly why they should have bought out Richards. There are players available this off-season who normally aren't available because of the cap coming down. Cap space is a serious weapon this off-season and instead if doing the smart thing and buying out Richards to create an advantage, they did the opposite.....

I disagree. Well I'm for buying out Richards but this FA class is pretty awful.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Could still acquire players via trade anyway. We'd be sending salary back in almost any deal since it's not like we have picks that we can trade right now anyway.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Could still acquire players via trade anyway. We'd be sending salary back in almost any deal since it's not like we have picks that we can trade right now anyway.

What salary?

The reason most of the good players are available right now is because their teams need to unload salary. The Rangers now can't take on any.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

They have been doing the opposite since I don't know how long.:shakehead

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
so the Rangers have about $14,200,000 of cap space to work with since they are trying out Richards for another year.. Hagelin, Stepan and Mcdonagh to resign for sure.. Zucc seems to be a "sure thing" to sign as well.. They could also move some of the bottom 6 guys (lets face it anyone can go pretty much) to create more salary, or Del Zotto.. Heaven forbid a team has to be creative this off season instead of just throw cash around in UFA.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What salary?

The reason most of the good players are available right now is because their teams need to unload salary. The Rangers now can't take on any.

we can easily get rid of salary of some of our bottom 6 guys/biron etc..it all depends on what stepan/mcdonagah etc.. sign for and nobody knows that. Additionally if we wanted to trade for a higher salary guy we could also pay slightly extra if needed and get the other team to retain some of the cap hit of the player.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

assets, and probably very good ones as well, would have to be going the other way. The Rangers need see as Richards on a 1 year contract which will probably be more valuable than any trade or UFA they could do. I'm not saying its 100% right or it will even work, but I dont really fault that thought process.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
assets, and probably very good ones as well, would have to be going the other way. The Rangers need see as Richards on a 1 year contract which will probably be more valuable than any trade or UFA they could do. I'm not saying its 100% right or it will even work, but I dont really fault that thought process.

Exactly why I think we should have waited to do anything until the "talk-to-FA period" and see if we could get Ribeiro or Lecavalier or maybe even someone lesser like Weiss or Filppula to agree to a deal and if they did then we could buy out Richards and we would have our replacement. Would have loved to replace Richards with Ribeiro who would have a shorter term contract.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
Exactly why I think we should have waited to do anything until the "talk-to-FA period" and see if we could get Ribeiro or Lecavalier or maybe even someone lesser like Weiss or Filppula to agree to a deal and if they did then we could buy out Richards and we would have our replacement. Would have loved to replace Richards with Ribeiro who would have a shorter term contract.

You do realize that there is a buy out period as it has ended. This he couldn't do any of those things.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

I could see our RFAs signing for less than people think. Bottom 6 guys can be moved, Del Zotto or Staal for offense, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad