Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: SCF, end. Trades, begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship*

I have posted this in the past but I will do it again.

Not sure Jim Nill would go for it...

Del Zotto, Bourque and Niemi for Oleksiak and Brett Ritchie.

Oleksiak is a defenseman that possesses a really nice blend of size, physicality and outstanding puck skills. While much has been said of his size and physical side, what is most impressive about Oleksiak is his superb agility and athleticism.

He could show a little bit more vigor and truculence in his game given his size. It’s a little bit tough to get a rise out of him most of the time. Potential: #2 defenseman, like Victor Hedman

Ritchie is a big winger that moves well and has very good offensive instincts. Can use his body effectively when he has the puck on his stick. Has a good shot that can sneak up on goaltenders. Sort of a Jekyll and Hyde type player in his young career due to injuries. The dedicated Ritchie can be a force at both ends and exhibit big physicality and quality puck control. The casual Ritchie can often disappear for long stretches and stick to the edges of the rink. If his determination and work rate stay as high as they were during the second half of the 2010-11 season, Ritchie could be a fairly dominant player – otherwise, he could be a fairly dormant player.

Couldn't be more horrendous.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I would try to get Skinner + mcbain for staal than sign Mason Raymond. Defense takes a step back (though still very good) but the offense really improves and I'd still rather trade del Zotto 1st

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Assuming we get McBain in a Staal trade and/or Blum and retain Eminger, we have 3 OK defensemen (Eminger, Blum, and Ilrath if necessary) waiting in the wings. That's pretty decent depth to me.

With all due respect to McBain, the trade-off from Staal to McBain would be gigantic for this team as currently constructed.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Assuming we get McBain in a Staal trade and/or Blum and retain Eminger, we have 3 OK defensemen (Eminger, Blum, and Ilrath if necessary) waiting in the wings. That's pretty decent depth to me.
I agree that, should a trade happen, a defenseman needs to be a part of the return if one can't be acquired through FA

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Couldn't be more horrendous.

coming from you that means a lot but not sure I remember ever reading something from you that caught my attention.

Trading a defensemen who has made no real improvements over the course of 4 years for a hulking defensemen who can move and a potential power forward is terrible idea...but let's trade Marc Staal for a pick and a below average dman...make's so much more sense.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
With all due respect to McBain, the trade-off from Staal to McBain would be gigantic for this team as currently constructed.

I don't think it would be too bad. We'd still have an above average defence, plus a young player on an ELC contributing on offence.

By the way, if the front office can **** a a top 5 pick in this draft, there's no hope for the organization's future.

Championship*

coming from you that means a lot but not sure I remember ever reading something from you that caught my attention.

Trading a defensemen who has made no real improvements over the course of 4 years for a hulking defensemen who can move and a potential power forward is terrible idea...but let's trade Marc Staal for a pick and a below average dman...make's so much more sense.

They are never trading a 40 point D-man for a guy who has played a total of 16 NHL games. Especially when we already have McIlrath in the system.

You realize that Del Zotto is better than Oleskiak right? Obviously not. The Rangers don't improve AT ALL from that trade.

We get it. You like tough guys. That's not a realistic trade. At all. Not happening.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

No real improvement over 4 years? Wait,...what? Coming from you Orr Nightmare, its the usual, mindless bs trade proposals.

Del Zotto had one bad year. ONE. And at 20 years old. He has put up 37, 11, 41, and 21 points in 4 seasons. The 11 point season he was demoted after 47 games. This past 21 point season was in a shortened year. He was on pace for 40+ again. Sounds like a player on the rise to me. And he is 23 years old. And he signed a team friendly contract that will allow us to re-sign others. I don't even know why we are entertaining trading this player. I know we need top 6 wingers but it would be flat out stupid to deal him at this point. AV wants his defensemen to get involved more in his system. MDZ could post 50+ points next year.

So yeah, your trade proposal for potential and maybe's is indeed horrendous.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
I don't think it would be too bad. We'd still have an above average defence, plus a young player on an ELC contributing on offence.

By the way, if the front office can **** a a top 5 pick in this draft, there's no hope for the organization's future.

I remember when Pavel Brendl was the next Jagr and Jamie Lundmark was the next Yzerman and when Montoya was the next Patrick Roy and when alexander diagle was the next Mario.

Every year there are all these high impact prospects and some are stars, some suck and some are ok...you want to trade a guy who was playing the best hockey of his career before a puck hit him in the face for McBain and I though Sather was bad.

Championship*

I remember when Pavel Brendl was the next Jagr and Jamie Lundmark was the next Yzerman and when Montoya was the next Patrick Roy and when alexander diagle was the next Mario.

Every year there are all these high impact prospects and some are stars, some suck and some are ok...you want to trade a guy who was playing the best hockey of his career before a puck hit him in the face for McBain and I though Sather was bad.

This thought process is essentially EXACTLY what you are doing with your "proposal"

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
So from Carolina fans they would move mcbain and Skinner for Staal. Then we could sign Mason Raymond for another LW for the 3rd line and Lapierre for 3c shutdown line. Kreider - Stepan - Nash. Skinner-Brassard-Callahan. Hagelin-Lapierre-Raymond. Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett. Mcdonagh/Girardi, Moore/Stralman, Del Zotto/Mcbain, Eminger.. I'd be all for that team

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
They are never trading a 40 point D-man for a guy who has played a total of 16 NHL games. Especially when we already have McIlrath in the system.

You realize that Del Zotto is better than Oleskiak right? Obviously not. The Rangers don't improve AT ALL from that trade.

We get it. You like tough guys. That's not a realistic trade. At all. Not happening.

Is Del Zotto better than Hedman?...this kid can be just as good and maybe even better. Ritchie has 41 goals and didn't put the effort in half the time. I like to win hockey games and this time will not beat the elite teams with #4 sliding on his ass like a clown and making terrible reads...but I like goons...I don't know better

Championship*

McBain + Skinner is nothing to sniff at. Worry about contract/concussions though.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

You act like McBain is the centerpiece here. It's the 5th overall. There's almost no risk IN THIS DRAFT at that position. At best we can get Drouin, at worst Nichuskin or Jones. Pretty good chance there if you ask me. Nichuskin seems to be the kind of player everyone says we need. Any of them will contribute right away.

Also, in response to Skinner, I don't think he's right for us. We need to get bigger in the top 6, and he certainly doesn't do that.

Championship*

Is Del Zotto better than Hedman?...this kid can be just as good and maybe even better. Ritchie has 41 goals and didn't put the effort in half the time. I like to win hockey games and this time will not beat the elite teams with #4 sliding on his ass like a clown and making terrible reads...but I like goons...I don't know better

Oleksiak isn't EVER going to be Victor Hedman. Ritchie had 41 goals IN THE OHL.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

With each post you discredit yourself by your own doing. Now we're bringing Hedman into the debate? So wait, let me get this straight. We want a player who could potentially be like Hedman? Hedman who is just a year younger than Del Zotto and has not put up 30 points yet, let alone 40? And his team not being a playoff team is absolutely no excuse with the fire power they have in their forward group.

You are right, you don't know better.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I have posted this in the past but I will do it again.

Not sure Jim Nill would go for it...

Del Zotto, Bourque and Niemi for Oleksiak and Brett Ritchie.

Oleksiak is a defenseman that possesses a really nice blend of size, physicality and outstanding puck skills. While much has been said of his size and physical side, what is most impressive about Oleksiak is his superb agility and athleticism.

He could show a little bit more vigor and truculence in his game given his size. It’s a little bit tough to get a rise out of him most of the time. Potential: #2 defenseman, like Victor Hedman

Ritchie is a big winger that moves well and has very good offensive instincts. Can use his body effectively when he has the puck on his stick. Has a good shot that can sneak up on goaltenders. Sort of a Jekyll and Hyde type player in his young career due to injuries. The dedicated Ritchie can be a force at both ends and exhibit big physicality and quality puck control. The casual Ritchie can often disappear for long stretches and stick to the edges of the rink. If his determination and work rate stay as high as they were during the second half of the 2010-11 season, Ritchie could be a fairly dominant player – otherwise, he could be a fairly dormant player.

I was originally very in favor of this when I realized Ritchie and Oleksiak haven't played in the NHL yet. Some dumb reason made me believe Oleksiak's rookie year was this year. No way.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
No real improvement over 4 years? Wait,...what? Coming from you Orr Nightmare, its the usual, mindless bs trade proposals.

Del Zotto had one bad year. ONE. And at 20 years old. He has put up 37, 11, 41, and 21 points in 4 seasons. The 11 point season he was demoted after 47 games. This past 21 point season was in a shortened year. He was on pace for 40+ again. Sounds like a player on the rise to me. And he is 23 years old. And he signed a team friendly contract that will allow us to re-sign others. I don't even know why we are entertaining trading this player. I know we need top 6 wingers but it would be flat out stupid to deal him at this point. AV wants his defensemen to get involved more in his system. MDZ could post 50+ points next year.

So yeah, your trade proposal for potential and maybe's is indeed horrendous.

Del Zotto has had 1 good year, 1 ok year and 2 bad years.

This is the numbers that matter the most to me:

2011-2012 Rangers 20 2 8 10 -4 12 1 0 1 35 5.7
2012-2013 Rangers 12 1 1 2 -3 8 0 0 0 17 5.9
NHL Totals 32 3 9 12 -7 20 1 0 1 52 5.8

32 games 12 points and a minus 7 in the playoffs...nobody loved Del Zotto more than Torts...he could make mistake after mistake and this kid always found the ice...maybe it was because we didn't have the depth but he is suppose to be this offensive whiz and all I saw was him ruin power plays...his defense is average at best...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
That would be a steal for the Rangers. Too much of one. Jim Nill is very smart, unlike Joe Nieu. Niemi isn't signed by NYR anymore by the way.

Christ, more craziness.

Two unproven players for a 40+ point defenseman who is 23 years old. And that would be a steal for us? Dallas would be laughing all the way to the bank. Thankfully you two are not running the rangers.

That's like trading Zubov for crap all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad