Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: SCF, end. Trades, begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh3217

May 30, 2013
Kreider Stepan Nash
Clowe Weiss MacArthur
Hagelin Brassard Callahan
Pyatt Boyle Dorsett

Kershaw

So if AV wants a defensive 3rd line, Nystrom would be the best bet in UFA. LW is a need. Speed. PK.

Nystrom-Boyle-Callahan would have a lot of trouble to get the puck out of their own zone. This team needs a John Mitchell type that has the balls to carry the puck and lead a breakout no matter what. Of course, it would be better if a player knew how to do something with the puck after maintain possession, the thing that separated Mitchell from being great. Beggars can't be choosers though.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Nystrom-Boyle-Callahan would have a lot of trouble to get the puck out of their own zone. This team needs a John Mitchell type that has the balls to carry the puck and lead a breakout no matter what. Of course, it would be better if a player knew how to do something with the puck after maintain possession, the thing that separated Mitchell from being great. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Boyle started 29.8% of his shifts in the defensive zone, and ended in the offensive zone 50.8% of the time.

So, yeah, Boyle is pretty much better than Mitchell ever was at that.

Boyle-Callahan is a great defensive pairing up front. Nystrom isn't a third liner, I would prefer to have someone else in that spott.

Kershaw

Boyle started 29.8% of his shifts in the defensive zone, and ended in the offensive zone 50.8% of the time.

Boyle-Callahan is a great defensive pairing up front. Nystrom isn't a third liner, I would prefer to have someone else in that spott.

Boyle was good at zone start differential in 2011-12, but his game fell off a cliff in the regular season and his shots relative to competition severely declined as well in 2013. Boyle, while doing an admirable job in a pure defensive role, hasn't been able to generate shot differential like Mitchell has. Neither Nystrom or Boyle and even Callahan help in that regard. I just see that line being hemmed for long stretches in their own end.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The following is a spreadsheet showing all centers who played >20 games this season with an offensive zone start within 10% of boyle (34.4 to 42.2 or so). I added a custom category at the end offensive zone finish/offensive zone start. Boyle is basically right in the middle and is average (average is 1.18 here, median 1.19) so this "skill" Boyle has of advancing the puck out of the zone is not really a skill but mainly just "if you start in the D-Zone so often it is likely you will advance the puck up into the offensive zone". As in, consider the place where a player had 0% O-Zone starts obviously you would expect him not to have 0% O-Zone finishes. The more you start out on defense the better your ratio of change will look (that's why I only took players within 10% of him.).

So essentially take any Center, put him in Boyles role with that many O-Zone starts and you're going to get similar results with O-Zone finished.

785048bafd19c70b560b520c8bec4f7e.png

Likewise here's the data for the top 30 centers min 20 games played in the league this year in terms of O-Start%

995b387423a8e32a8b3686762334700e.png

Last edited:

Kershaw

The following is a spreadsheet showing all centers who played >20 games this season with an offensive zone start within 10% of boyle (34.4 to 42.2 or so). I added a custom category at the end offensive zone finish/offensive zone start. Boyle is basically right in the middle and is average (average is 1.18 here, median 1.19) so this "skill" Boyle has of advancing the puck out of the zone is not really a skill but mainly just "if you start in the D-Zone so often it is likely you will advance the puck up into the offensive zone". As in, consider the place where a player had 0% O-Zone starts obviously you would expect him not to have 0% O-Zone finishes. The more you start out on defense the better your ratio of change will look (that's why I only took players within 10% of him.).

So essentially take any Center, put him in Boyles role with that many O-Zone starts and you're going to get similar results with O-Zone finished.

c77712348d8192a347217a431a4bfaef.png
Wow Kruger is even better than I thought he was. No wonder Chicago is an elite defensive team. Modern day Samuel Pahlsson for sure.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think AV coming back all but guarantees Pyatt getting another go here in NY.

I've been on board with the notion of adding Nystrom for quite some time. Nothing would please me more. Can Pyatt handle 3LW duties though? I don't think so...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Rangers horrible 6 goalie system is a BIG reason we couldn't clear the zone or break out. That will change under AV

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

I've been on board with the notion of adding Nystrom for quite some time. Nothing would please me more. Can Pyatt handle 3LW duties though? I don't think so...

Pyatt does not belong on a 3rd line. He's fine for a 4th liner though

Punxrocknyc19*

the future of Brian Boyle in a Canucks jersey :sarcasm:

Attachments

• 10165_10201387855608584_855382121_n.jpg
    10165_10201387855608584_855382121_n.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 23

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010

Who knows? The way Torts had them play KILLED the offensive side of the game. KILLED IT. I think anybody and everybody on this team should play better in the offensive zone with AV in here.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
If Lapierre can play wing.
Zuke - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin/Kreider - Brass - Callahan
Kreider/Hagelin - Lindberg - Lapierre
Nystrom/McLeod - Boyle - Dorsett

Start the season with Miller and Fast to replace Callahan and Hagelin.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Don't want Nystrom. We don't need more players who can't score.

Nystrom brings so much more than scoring, he can basically do everything else. Hits, fights, PK's, great skater, never gives up on a shift, etc. He's also good for 10-15 goals in a full season, perfect bottom 6 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad