Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part III: Free Agents Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
main board was discussing and mostly everyone seemed on board with a Del.zotto for Byfuglien. swap, thoughts? Is that the power RHD we need?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
main board was discussing and mostly everyone seemed on board with a Del.zotto for Byfuglien. swap, thoughts? Is that the power RHD we need?

Where do I sign? It's not that I don't like DZ, but Buff is exactly what this team needs. Big shot, mean SOB, right handed

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Idk about Buff, one of Girardi or Staal have to be traded, too much salary on defense otherwise.

Or is he our new top six winger? ;)

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Idk about Buff, one of Girardi or Staal have to be traded, too much salary on defense otherwise.

Buff as a winger is a big NO. He is too slow for top 6. He can play 3rd line effectively but I would much rather roll a D of

Staal Girardi
McD Buff
Moore Stralman

Sweet Jesus.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

He's too slow to forecheck anything. If you play him at forward he best be on a line with Hagelin. He would have to be paired with a mobile defenseman like McDonagh on D

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Buff as a winger is a big NO. He is too slow for top 6. He can play 3rd line effectively but I would much rather roll a D of

Staal Girardi
McD Buff
Moore Stralman

Sweet Jesus.

I know was kind of sarcastic.

On a second thought that's a killer d. Why not roll with it and slot in our young forwards in the line up.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
If DZ gets traded for Byfuglien, you can say goodbye to Girardi, because the Rangers won't have the cap space to re-sign him.

DZ needs to be traded for a FORWARD.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
If DZ gets traded for Byfuglien, you can say goodbye to Girardi, because the Rangers won't have the cap space to re-sign him.

:huh:
I am not for swapping buff with DZ, but I must be missing something.
Is there a separate cap for forwards and Dmen?
A cap hit is a caphit whether it's a forward or a Dman, or you mean a cost controlled forward?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

I disagree with that.. Think about it.. we have $14,155,833 available in cap space right now.. lets say that Mcdonagh/Stepan/Hags/Zucc takes up about 10M of that. think about 4 for Mcdonagh, 3.5-3.75 for Stepan, 2 for Hags, and 1 for Zucc, and sign Eminger for about the same at 750K, that leaves $2,655,833. If we buy out Richards, that gives us an additional 6.66M which gives us $9,322,500. Then we make the trade of Del Zotto (2.5M) for Buff (5.2M), leaves us with $6,672,500. We could create even more cap space if we can somehow trade Powe and Asham (of course they would need to be replaced). Maybe the plan here should be to do what the Yankees did this year (1 year contracts or very small multi year contracts). That would still give us about 7M going into next off season with the same cap (and it could go up) to give raises to Girardi, Callahan and Lundqvist.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
A cap hit is a caphit whether it's a forward or a Dman, or you mean a cost controlled forward?

not many teams are willing to give up cost controlled forwards anymore.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Byfuglien has a large cap hit — $5.3M per. I doubt the forward that the Rangers trade DZ for (if they do) would eclipse $3.5M per in cap hit. It's be, ideally, a young, cost controlled forward.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
McDonagh: $4.5M
Stepan: $3.5M-$4M
Hagelin: $2M-$2.5M
Zuccarello: $1.5M

By my count, the low estimate on these RFAs is $11.5M — not $10M. That is, IMO, a pipe dream number. Realistically, it'll be between $11.5M and $13M.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I disagree with that.. Think about it.. we have $14,155,833 available in cap space right now.. lets say that Mcdonagh/Stepan/Hags/Zucc takes up about 10M of that. think about 4 for Mcdonagh, 3.5-3.75 for Stepan, 2 for Hags, and 1 for Zucc, and sign Eminger for about the same at 750K, that leaves $2,655,833. If we buy out Richards, that gives us an additional 6.66M which gives us $9,322,500. Then we make the trade of Del Zotto (2.5M) for Buff (5.2M), leaves us with $6,672,500. We could create even more cap space if we can somehow trade Powe and Asham (of course they would need to be replaced). Maybe the plan here should be to do what the Yankees did this year (1 year contracts or very small multi year contracts). That would still give us about 7M going into next off season with the same cap (and it could go up) to give raises to Girardi, Callahan and Lundqvist.

The Hockey News Salary Predictions For Free Agency
Ryan McDonagh: Between $4 million and $5 million.
Derek Stepan: Between $4 million and $5 million.
Carl Hagelin: Between $2 million and $3 million
Mats Zuccarello: Between $1 million and $2 million

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
anyway, I was just pointing out that the Rangers wouldnt HAVE to move Girardi (if my numbers for our RFAs are right, and I think they are pretty damn close), if they made a DZ for Buff swap.. I have said all along though I would rather move him for a forward. Though that defense is so damn good, we might actually be able to use guys like Fasth and/or Lindberg because the defense and Hank might not allow many goals at all.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
McDonagh: $4.5M
Stepan: $3.5M-$4M
Hagelin: $2M-$2.5M
Zuccarello: $1.5M

By my count, the low estimate on these RFAs is $11.5M — not $10M. That is, IMO, a pipe dream number. Realistically, it'll be between $11.5M and $13M.

surely McD won't get paid more than Staal?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't see how Staal's contract is very relevant. This is under an entirely new CBA with a different cap, and McDonagh is also arbitration eligible, while Staal was not.

because unless a team offer sheets Mcdonagh he wont. Sather considers Staal the "rock" of the defense, the best defenseman (pure defense) we have. I just dont see him getting more than Staal. and if you're another team do you really want to OS Mcdonagh with Sather as a GM? :laugh:

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I don't see how Staal's contract is very relevant. This is under an entirely new CBA with a different cap, and McDonagh is also arbitration eligible, while Staal was not.

But the cap is going down, I am not sure how that would impact the negotiations.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
because unless a team offer sheets Mcdonagh he wont. Sather considers Staal the "rock" of the defense, the best defenseman (pure defense) we have. I just dont see him getting more than Staal. and if you're another team do you really want to OS Mcdonagh with Sather as a GM? :laugh:

Again, he's arbitration eligible, while Staal was not. That plays a HUGE factor. If Staal were arbitration eligible, he would have gotten more than the ~$4M that he got.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

It takes 2 to tango. As much as we want to keep the costs down, the agent would like to maximize his client's revenue and his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland