GDT: 2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
gotta say that alfredsson signing in detroit is amusing. loltastic captain and 'leader' if you ask me. loser

and wtf is going on? clowe at almost 5 for 5, horton at 5.3 for 7!!! my only question now is: where's the 'sign everybody bandwagon at? i said GMMB wasn't gonna get dragged into it and he's making me proud

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I know this is old news but can anyone tell me why MB had the compulsion to extend DD for 4 years during the season when he was not producing?

He was producing when he extended him. The drought started right after.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why do you say that? They still need to respect it. If a team spends like that, he will need to make some space if they don't have it. Cap space would be overrated if you'd be able to not respect it....

Because most GM's, as soon as they make a move to acquire cap space...blow it all in the summer in free agency

Cap space is one thing...what you do with it is a whole other and it has more to do with player evaluation.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
They will because a lot of the big spenders are at or near the cap. After the first 75-100 mil in cap hits goes, things get tight and you can get pretty good deals. I'm surprised the early guys are getting so much as there is not a lot of cap space/money available this yaer with the cap dropping. Players waiting may end up having to take a lot less than they want.

Komisarek at 700k, I would have been all over that.
I hope you are right!

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
After seeing all of these deals popping up, i can say only one thing.

The price we got Briere for looks a lot better.

Nice to see many eastern teams handcuffing themselves with these bad contracts. I hope we avoid the UFA's altogether now, and just look to improve our team via trade.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Feels like Lapierre + size thru trade. Hoping for a capable D on a 1-2 yr deal thru UFA so that they have 8 NHL D on the roster.

Honestly, almost every NHL player has twitter. You think they didn't search "Briere" yesterday? It's gonna be tough to get anyone to sign here after that reaction..

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Because most GM's, as soon as they make a move to acquire cap space...blow it all in the summer in free agency

But they make a move to acquire cap space to obviously use it at one point or another. And some still think that they will be great because of UFA. Some might....pretty sure most won't.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 27s
Matt Cullen may end up in Nashville today. Not done yet though

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well great. He shouldn't have too much trouble to take Gionta then.

Sending Gionta back to NJD would be awesome! Never been a fan since he arrived. Gainey had a chance to rebuild the Habs that summer, create a new identity such as making them bigger. So he goes out and gets Gomez 5'11(Koivu shown the door), Cammaleri (5'9) and Gionta 5'7. Man Gainey sucked as GM.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
a day like today illustrates perfectly why I keep insisting that 'cap space' is overrated

Why is cap space overrated?

If it was Boston wpouldn't be losing a pile of players. NYR would be in on every UFA. Toronto wouldn't have bought out Grabo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad